List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 10, 2011 1:35 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote: TCW routinely shows combat ranges for space battles within a km, when Lando labeled a few dozen kilometers as "point blank range", and Ackbar, a legendary fleet admiral, thought it to be mad to close within such a range.

TCW isn't even internally consistent, with heavy artillery failing to penetrate the ground while shoulder mounted rocket launchers blow up mountain cliffs.
And in ANH, the Tie fighter pursued by Han was out of range when barely a few hundred meters away from the MF...

And you have the same thing in AotC, where the battles' main guns blowing up puff of sand from the ground, but destroying walkers and airships with ease when they hit...

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Tue May 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Praeothmin wrote: And in ANH, the Tie fighter pursued by Han was out of range when barely a few hundred meters away from the MF...
Oh, starfighters are different. I'm referring to capital ships, which in the movieverse can routinely fight a thousand km ranges.
And you have the same thing in AotC, where the battles' main guns blowing up puff of sand from the ground, but destroying walkers and airships with ease when they hit...
What are you talking about? The LAATs' main missiles were creating significant explosions when they hit.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 10, 2011 7:14 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote: Oh, starfighters are different. I'm referring to capital ships, which in the movieverse can routinely fight a thousand km ranges.
Where in the movies do you see these thousands of km range?
The only guns that showed us these ranges are the planetary Ion Cannon on Hoth, and the DS.
No ship ever fired at these ranges...
What are you talking about? The LAATs' main missiles were creating significant explosions when they hit.
I will watch the scenes again, as I do not recall any impressive explosions from these guns or missiles...
In fact, what I do remember is not any different from modern artillery, or modern bazookas.
When the AT-TEs explode, they barely affect Clone troopers standing 10 feet from them.
Not very impressive as far as explosions go...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat May 14, 2011 7:17 am

Praeothmin wrote:
StarWarsStarTrek wrote: Oh, starfighters are different. I'm referring to capital ships, which in the movieverse can routinely fight a thousand km ranges.
The only guns that showed us these ranges are the planetary Ion Cannon on Hoth, and the DS.
I'd also like to see the scenes where capital ships and starfighters fire at each other from thousands of km. The longest range observed so far in SW is in TCW's "Downfall of a Droid" [Season 1], where Munificents open fire on Venators from about 200 km. It's implied in TESB that planetary bombardment is possible from thousands of km, but never shown.
-Mike

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Sat May 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:
I'd also like to see the scenes where capital ships and starfighters fire at each other from thousands of km. The longest range observed so far in SW is in TCW's "Downfall of a Droid" [Season 1], where Munificents open fire on Venators from about 200 km. It's implied in TESB that planetary bombardment is possible from thousands of km, but never shown.
-Mike
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, the ion cannon hit a star destroyer on its first or second try from thousands of kms away.

Star Trek Battle of Worf 359, the Borg Cube misses a Federation starship moving within one kilometer of the cube, a range in which modern guided missiles could easily hit targets.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat May 14, 2011 4:07 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, the ion cannon hit a star destroyer on its first or second try from thousands of kms away.
Planet based stuff?.

In "Enterprise" a planet based weapon was able to target a specific area on the moon as well as being capable hitting and destroying starfleet HQ.......FROM MARS.

So depending on the positions at the time that is from 55 million km to 401 million km.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Planet based stuff?.

In "Enterprise" a planet based weapon was able to target a specific area on the moon as well as being capable hitting and destroying starfleet HQ.......FROM MARS.

So depending on the positions at the time that is from 55 million km to 401 million km.
Really? That's interesting, so I would like elaboration please.

For some originality:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... osions.jpg

These were nuclear weapons detonated several thousand years before the movies, when Star Wars technology was not nearly advanced as it is in the movies.

I don't know about you, but those explosions are definitely high megatons/gigaton. We're talking about hits that are not only seen as specks in orbit, but that are seen as GIANT MUSHROOM CLOUDS OF DOOM from said distances, where even cities are specks, and continents can be seen in one view.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 17, 2011 9:47 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Lucky wrote: I've heard this before, but no one ever backs it up. Why don't you start a tread that shows this?
TCW routinely shows combat ranges for space battles within a km, when Lando labeled a few dozen kilometers as "point blank range", and Ackbar, a legendary fleet admiral, thought it to be mad to close within such a range.

TCW isn't even internally consistent, with heavy artillery failing to penetrate the ground while shoulder mounted rocket launchers blow up mountain cliffs.
Or AATs failing to destroy mere trees in the very fist episode of the show. It was like they shot the whole thing with a limited game engine.
And let's not talk about the retarded accuracy at close range. Even if I wanted to make a light hearted show, I wouldn't give the protagonists and antagonists such bad aim as to make it highly ludicrous.
True, there were cases of really dubious aim in the movies, but it wasn't all bad everytime (we also got got shots from random blokes in ROTJ, like the shot on Luke's hand -although that was a very close range- or in TPM with the sand people striking impressive shots with projectiles flying slower than modern bullets, and other things).
Even in ANH Obi-Wan said something about the accuracy of the stormtrooper weapons in comparison to those of the sand people. Yet if they were to be compared, this would be stormtrooper rifles were über ace.
The visuals in TCWS are just too silly at times, I prefer paying most of the attention to the dialogues. The rest is just useless candy.

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Lucky wrote:I've heard this before, but no one ever backs it up. Why don't you start a tread that shows this?
TCW routinely shows combat ranges for space battles within a km, when Lando labeled a few dozen kilometers as "point blank range", and Ackbar, a legendary fleet admiral, thought it to be mad to close within such a range.

No need to claim thousands of km. Some hundreds will be sufficient and fit with the figure given at the beginning of the ROTS novelization. Those ranges are also perfectly sufficient to engage ground targets from orbit, and explain why the ion cannons (and planetary TLs) are such a problem, since they have superior ranges.

Praeothmin wrote:And in ANH, the Tie fighter pursued by Han was out of range when barely a few hundred meters away from the MF...
Frankly, that one is stupid. How is it so hard for Han to even shoot at the thing that flies in a straight line in front of him?
The relative velocity was almost null. I'm wondering if the beginning of an explanation, aside from micro particles and radiations from Alderaan's explosion, may not have to do with both ships' absolute speed: they got close to the Death Star very rapidly. Could something about those absolute speeds be of effect against the accuracy of weapons or something?

Or perhaps the servos really sucked big times on that piece of junk back in ANH? They had no problem to easily shoot the TIEs at longer ranges when manning the guns semi-manually after all, but it seems things were really borked when trying to get those cannons fire forward when controlled from the cockpit.
All the time Han was trying to get a lock and so on...
Although it was very useful to disprove the silly gigajoule claims, one must be honset. There is no way those puffs could even be as powerful as the flak blasts we saw during most of the pursuit, and there's no way such puffs, weak and obviously resulting from very low momentum, could ever penetrate the hulls of Star Wars (even if we do know that the bazooka looking E-web tripod guns used by snowtroopers would seriously damage the MF's hull, as said clearly in the TESB novelization - something conveniently brused away by Wongies and his fellas for more than a decade!).
Still, even a modern APC wouldn't really be threaten by bullets making such puffs in the sand.
This is just seems to work well with the idea that bolts are fused plasma bombs, timed to blow up as flak (here goes the bubble shield BS), but that doesn't work if the bolt diussolves into some sand.

The Aethersprite Delta-7 still took several shots which still were capable of breaking blocks of rock about 3 to 4 meters wide into smaller pieces. Not very violently, but enough to require multiple dozens of megajoules, easily, perhaps a few hundreds.
In other words, much more than the firepower of a modern tank, and yet those modern shells or sabots, despite their different mechanisms, would surely produce far more fireworks upon detonation than those bolts when hitting the sand.

Plus we have the yields of the portable heavy blaster used on Jabba's barge which were not so wimpy either (clicky).

Praeothmin wrote:
I will watch the scenes again, as I do not recall any impressive explosions from these guns or missiles...
In fact, what I do remember is not any different from modern artillery, or modern bazookas.
When the AT-TEs explode, they barely affect Clone troopers standing 10 feet from them.
Not very impressive as far as explosions go...
Those missiles seem to have variable warheads. The explosions against the capital ships were significantly larger than those against the wheeled droids. The yield dialed to destroy droids were even a tad weaker than the megawatt green cutting beams fired from the side globes.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Mr. O, AotC, even if we accept dial-a-yield missiles and such, still do not come close to anything in the ICS...
The yields are not Über in any way, and do not represent something ST cannot match...
SWST wrote:Star Trek Battle of Worf 359, the Borg Cube misses a Federation starship moving within one kilometer of the cube, a range in which modern guided missiles could easily hit targets.
RotS, ships barely a couple of km apart, not even maneuvering, were missing each other left and right, and had to saturate an area in TLs to hit something...
Really? That's interesting, so I would like elaboration please.
The episode is called "Terra Prime", and is one of the last episodes of Enterprise in the fourth season.
A terrorist had seized the Meteoric-Blasting array on Mars, and threatens to destroy Starfleet HQ in San Francisco...
These were nuclear weapons detonated several thousand years before the movies, when Star Wars technology was not nearly advanced as it is in the movies.
But this doesn't show us TL shots, they could have been nuclear bombs for all we know.

On the other hand, the destruction of Taris shows us much weaker explosions...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed May 18, 2011 4:49 pm

I'd like to point out that those missiles fired at Serroco, which made large explosions, were not so small:

Image Image

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 18, 2011 4:56 pm

I knew it wasn't TLs that made that damage...
And judging by the size of these missiles passing by the ships, they must have been 15-20 meters long...

I must say though, that the Captain expected his shields to tank thses shots, or at least was willing to try...

Still, nothing in the movies come even close to this, and nothing ST can't do... :)

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed May 18, 2011 5:23 pm

"But this doesn't show us TL shots, they could have been nuclear bombs for all we know."

They were nuclear bombs. That's the point. Star Wars has high megaton/low gigaton nuclear warheads 4000 years before the movies.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Cool, so now you'll explain how this translates in GT Turbolasers... :)

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Cool, so now you'll explain how this translates in GT Turbolasers... :)
The high megaton/low gigaton nukes reveal several things:

1. Upon detecting the missiles, the commander assumed that they were the targets and ordered power to be diverted to the shields; this means that even 4000 year old Star Wars ships can take gigatons of damage.

2. Since we do not see these missiles ever being used in the PT/OT/etc era, they are probably outdated. Them being too expensive is ridiculous, as a farmboy on tatooine can afford fusion reactors. Therefore, 'modern' missiles and turbolasers are likely more powerful than the gigaton level nuclear weapons shown in a war 4000 years before the films.

3. See those nukes? There is no reason to believe that the technology for them was lost or secret, as fusion and fission reactions are commercially available in Star Wars. What chances would you give the Enterprise for surviving a gigaton nuke?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed May 18, 2011 9:34 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I'd like to point out that those missiles fired at Serroco, which made large explosions, were not so small:

Image Image
There seems to be something missing here. I don't see any explosions in the two pages you provided. It would be nice to actually see how big the explosions are. And yes, I do find it interesting that these missiles were huge. As we have seen in "Skin of Evil", and "For the Uniform" a photon torpedo only 2 meters long can make explosions in the hundreds of megatons to low gigaton range.
-Mike