Luke Skywalker boards the Enterprise

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
User1601
Bridge Officer

Re: Luke Skywalker boards the Enterprise

Post by User1601 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:I am trying to stay neutral on this topic, although I admit that I am leaning towards Luke. For those claiming that they'd trap him in a force field or whatever, why did they not do that every time some intruders made their way onto Enterprise, aka about every other episode?
Because they only modify the main deflector dish every time, and it would get pretty annoying if they over-repeated another gimmick like that.

Luke: "RAY SHIELDS? This shouldn't happen, I'm smarter than this!"

However the Enterprise isn't the Death Star, i.e. people can't just waltz around like Obi-wan did without clearance, and not get spotted immediately; on the Enterprise, only a true Mary Sue can do something like that (or if the plot really requires it).

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 am

SpaceWizard wrote: Unless you want to pretend that they're magical, in which case you've left the genre of sci-fi and gone full-bore Harry Potter with this "power cosmic" nonsense.
the power cosmic and GL energy aren't magic they are an energy field one that is Generated by a pack of blue midgets in the green lanterns case in another of a cosmic entity

Chi in the DBZ sense is bio energy harnessed into offensive and defensive power in some cases capable of leveling planets...Riatsu is..magic its spirit power same thing with reishi

so I ask again...do you feel trek shields can block this shit

[
SpaceWizard wrote:And that's exactly what happens if you claim the Force as some mystical power that can't be explained, detected or quantified-- or stopped: i.e. there's nothing to discuss since there's no basis for discussion.
it's an energy field that germs in a sentient beings body allows them to manipulate, now what proof do you have that trek shields can just naturally disrupt that with out a conscience effort on part of the staff?
SpaceWizard wrote:But from square 1, the canon explained The Force as "an energy field created by living things," so there's no reason to pretend it isn't; and as Scotty said about in Who Mourns for Adonis, "you can't perform tricks like that without energy."
And that's also how they beat Apollo, so they could beat the Force in the same way.
so you can cite precedence then?
SpaceWizard wrote: Likewise, we've seen the Force stopped by itty-bitty X-wing shields, like in the Battle of Yavin, Darth Vader couldn't just reach out and affect the pilots of the ships-- he had to shoot them.
conversely he one shotted Admiral Ozzle on another ship shielded one would assume no less

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:05 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:
SpaceWizard wrote: Unless you want to pretend that they're magical, in which case you've left the genre of sci-fi and gone full-bore Harry Potter with this "power cosmic" nonsense.
the power cosmic and GL energy aren't magic they are an energy field one that is Generated by a pack of blue midgets in the green lanterns case in another of a cosmic entity

Chi in the DBZ sense is bio energy harnessed into offensive and defensive power in some cases capable of leveling planets...Riatsu is..magic its spirit power same thing with reishi

so I ask again...do you feel trek shields can block this shit
no need it's non sequitur to this forum hell mary poppins can supercalifragilistic magic power zap pow gone... geez learn punctuation i don't waste time with illiterate tards
SpaceWizard wrote:And that's exactly what happens if you claim the Force as some mystical power that can't be explained, detected or quantified-- or stopped: i.e. there's nothing to discuss since there's no basis for discussion.
it's an energy field that germs in a sentient beings body allows them to manipulate, now what proof do you have that trek shields can just naturally disrupt that with out a conscience effort on part of the staff?
geez didn't anyone ever tell you how to write english whered you get your education in a fuggin sewer get a clue ya freak
SpaceWizard wrote:But from square 1, the canon explained The Force as "an energy field created by living things," so there's no reason to pretend it isn't; and as Scotty said about in Who Mourns for Adonis, "you can't perform tricks like that without energy."
And that's also how they beat Apollo, so they could beat the Force in the same way.
so you can cite precedence then?
SpaceWizard wrote: yeah obama and bush are precedence of da unite states deez what are u dum
Likewise, we've seen the Force stopped by itty-bitty X-wing shields, like in the Battle of Yavin, Darth Vader couldn't just reach out and affect the pilots of the ships-- he had to shoot them.
conversely he one shotted Admiral Ozzle on another ship shielded one would assume no less
not if ya cud spell geez more like in the next room on the same ship learn to spell ya freek i dont talk to moronotards i just laff at em

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:14 am

I think you just committed a bannable offense, well that and being an obvious sock puppet account-also between your butthurt towards star wars fans and your hostility you come off far less intelligent then any one on this board bub

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:23 am

SpaceWizard wrote: no need it's non sequitur to this forum hell mary poppins can supercalifragilistic magic power zap pow gone... geez learn punctuation i don't waste time with illiterate tards]
no genius, it isn't a non sequitur you claimed a no limits fallacy and I decided to test the limits of your claim
SpaceWizard wrote:
geez didn't anyone ever tell you how to write english whered you get your education in a fuggin sewer get a clue ya freak
not very original here i like your "herpa derp french guys" meltdown better

SpaceWizard wrote: yeah obama and bush are precedence of da unite states deez what are u dum
right, nice try at dodging

SpaceWizard wrote:5not if ya cud spell geez more like in the next room on the same ship learn to spell ya freek i dont talk to moronotards i just laff at em

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:01 am

BRAIN DAMAGED ======^

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:22 am

SpaceWizard wrote:BRAIN DAMAGED ======^
you have much to learn about how to properly troll son

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:50 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:
I won't argue with a clear expert.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:44 pm

The Force is not limited by line of sight and cannot be blocked by physical objects.

Evidence:

Obi Wan and Qui Gon are manipulating objects without seeing them
Yoda was sensing Anakin's pain from across the galaxy in real time
Vader was choking a dude through a camera
Vader choked Xizor from light years away
Luke communicates with all the Jedi across the galaxy simultaneously
Battle Meditation affects the combat performance even of soldiers in sealed starfighters

The Force is therefore infinite in its speed, or really, really, really fast.

And I don't want to sound too biased, but I doubt that any of the crew on the Enterprise can do jack all to capture or kill Luke. Luke has infiltrated star destroyers with tens of thousands of crew members, often times fully expecting Jedi to board, and has won. The Enterprise does not have that many crew members with military experience.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:38 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:The Force is not limited by line of sight and cannot be blocked by physical objects.
Never said othewise-- but a force-field is not a physial object per se. It stops energy-- and the Force is energy.

Evidence:
Obi Wan and Qui Gon are manipulating objects without seeing them
Where?
Yoda was sensing Anakin's pain from across the galaxy in real time
No, he was sensing Qui Gon telling Anakin not to kill the Sand-people.
That's more in the realm of telepathy than telekinesis.
Vader was choking a dude through a camera
In the next room, and not through a force-field.
Vader choked Xizor from light years away
Luke communicates with all the Jedi across the galaxy simultaneously
Battle Meditation affects the combat performance even of soldiers in sealed starfighters
The Force is therefore infinite in its speed, or really, really, really fast.
And I don't want to sound too biased,
Then you failed, if you consider the EU to be canon; if you insist on that, then our conversation is over, now and always.
but I doubt that any of the crew on the Enterprise can do jack all to capture or kill Luke.
Then you doubt the laws of physics. Canon says that the Force is an energy-field, and Enterprise force-fields can stop any type of energy.
Luke has infiltrated star destroyers with tens of thousands of crew members, often times fully expecting Jedi to board, and has won.
Again, that's the EU; but that says more about the poor SW security than Luke's great stealth-skills. Even in the canon, he and Han landed the Falcon right on the Death Star undetected, and waltzed through the bloody it-- even before he was a Jedi; and would have done it all the way, if Han hadn't decided to take on the whole Death Star crew in a firefight, and then jump into a garbage-crusher (which shows how crude their tech is, since the Enterprise simply converts all waste to bulk-matter for the replicators).

Enterprise security is a LITTLE more sophistocated than that...

"Captain, we have an intruder onboard."
"Main viewscreen, Mr. Worf."
"He seems to have no idea that we can SEE him..."
"True, Number One; he must come from a fairly primitive world."
"Captain, I'm sensing that he's using some sort of power to detect the presence of those nearby..."
"Telepathy, Counselor?"
"No, captain, something... different."
"Captain, I recommend we beam him into a holding cell-- at high containment, we don't know what other powers he has."
"Good point, Number One-- Bridge to Engineering. Mr. LaForge, we have a situation that could use your expertise, regarding a guest we weren't expecting; can you arrange a force-field to ensure that no harm will come to him or others while we prepare for a meeting and conversation?"
"Well sir, sensors indicate that the energy he's using follows an unusual pattern, but its nothing tha a high-level containment field can't stop.
"Very good, Mr. La Forge. Mr. Worf, make it so: and run a check to see if he's controlling any sort of energy that we can detect."
"Aye Captain. Energizing... (Detect THIS!) Done, sir; and a primary analysis shows that he's manipulating some sort of background energy in trace-levels, but I've adjusted ship's screens to nullify it, as per engineering's readings, and to screen out all energy to prevent anything else he might try that involves using any sort of energy."
"Very good, Mr. Worf... one can't be too careful. You have the conn; Number One, Counslor: let's go have a talk with our new friend! I hope his new quarters aren' t too uncomfortable, but we do have to inform him that it's impolite to walk into another's private abode without a proper invitation!"
"Captain, he's in trouble-- he seems to be suffocating!"
"Mr. Worf, are you sure he's getting air in there?"
"Of course sir, but it seems he isn't just controlling the energy-- his bio-readings seem dependent on it!"
"ALERT, Sickbay! Medic to the holding cells immediately!"

Something like that.
The Enterprise does not have that many crew members with military experience.
Oh yeah, they never fought the Klingons, the Romulans, the Cardassians, the Ferrengi, the Dominion or the Borg... or even the Federation itself.

Oh and yes, they'v NEVER trained in holosims that are indistinguishable from real experience...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:24 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:
Both of you knock it off now or bans are in order.
-Mike

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:17 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Admiral Breetai wrote:
Both of you knock it off now or bans are in order.
-Mike
(Hang head) Aw, we were just funnin'......

User1598
Candidate

Post by User1598 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 am

SpaceWizard wrote:Then you doubt the laws of physics. Canon says that the Force is an energy-field, and Enterprise force-fields can stop any type of energy.
Can they stop Q?

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:35 am

canismajoris wrote:Can they stop Q?
No. I don't remember an encounter between Q and a forcefield in TNG, but Quinn walks right through one of Voyager's forcefields in "Death Wish." Kes walks through another in "Fury." The space twisting phenomenon overwhelms a forcefield in "Twisted." A member of Species 8472 physically batters one down in "Prey." A lab forcefield (a quarantine field) is overwhelmed by the microbrains in "Home Soil," even with full shield backup.

That's all I can think of right now. As to whether they could contain Luke or not, nothing Luke demonstrated in the films is remotely comparable to the older Kes, to say nothing of Q.

User1601
Bridge Officer

Post by User1601 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:23 pm

canismajoris wrote:
SpaceWizard wrote:Then you doubt the laws of physics. Canon says that the Force is an energy-field, and Enterprise force-fields can stop any type of energy.
Can they stop Q?
Nobody ever said Q used energy, so that's a complete non-sequitur... got any more?
In Deja Q, he said that his power worked by changing universal constants.
Meanwhile Jedi-powers are, like Han said, "a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."