List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Most interesting piece from the TESB novelization about the heavy gun which two snowtroopers were setting up in Echo Base, latter on called the E-Web by the EU.
TESB novelization wrote: Before Han could make a carefully honed retort, the Falcon was jolted by
a blast of Imperial laser fire that flashed outside the cockpit window.
They could all see the squad of Imperial stormtroopers rushing with
drawn weapons into the far end of the ice hangar. Han knew that the
Falcon's dented hull might resist the force of those hand weapons, but
would be destroyed by the more powerful bazooka-shaped weapon that two
of the Imperial troopers were hurriedly setting up.
It appears curious that the Millennium Falcon, benefiting from the maintainence offered by the Rebels since Solo joined the Alliance, and ought to have shields and hulls putting to shame the standard defensive equipment of high profile ships of that size, would be threatened by such a weapon, while the ship could be thrown into a close in combat with TIE fighters and survive.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Most interesting piece from the TESB novelization about the heavy gun which two snowtroopers were setting up in Echo Base, latter on called the E-Web by the EU.
TESB novelization wrote: Before Han could make a carefully honed retort, the Falcon was jolted by
a blast of Imperial laser fire that flashed outside the cockpit window.
They could all see the squad of Imperial stormtroopers rushing with
drawn weapons into the far end of the ice hangar. Han knew that the
Falcon's dented hull might resist the force of those hand weapons, but
would be destroyed by the more powerful bazooka-shaped weapon that two
of the Imperial troopers were hurriedly setting up.
It appears curious that the Millennium Falcon, benefiting from the maintainence offered by the Rebels since Solo joined the Alliance, and ought to have shields and hulls putting to shame the standard defensive equipment of high profile ships of that size, would be threatened by such a weapon, while the ship could be thrown into a close in combat with TIE fighters and survive.
If that's the case, does that mean that TIE Fighters' cannons are the same strength as a blaster rifle?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Watch TESB again sometime, in particular watch when the Falcon is being chased around the crater floor of the big asteroid by the two surviving TIE fighters that managed not to get wacked in the main asteroid field. As they chase the Falcon they are firing every which way, missing the freighter and striking parts of the crater floor and walls with little noticeable effect on the rock itself.

One notable instance of these strikes is when the Falcon flies past a long, relatively thin outcropping of rock whose tip is struck by a volley of laser bolts from a TIE, and we do not see the vaporization, nor even significant shattering of the outcropping, just little red sparkles. That's right, little red sparkles from several TIE laser bolt hits, the rock outcropping does not even glow! So much for kiloton firepower.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Watch TESB again sometime, in particular watch when the Falcon is being chased around the crater floor of the big asteroid by the two surviving TIE fighters that managed not to get wacked in the main asteroid field. As they chase the Falcon they are firing every which way, missing the freighter and striking parts of the crater floor and walls with little noticeable effect on the rock itself.

One notable instance of these strikes is when the Falcon flies past a long, relatively thin outcropping of rock whose tip is struck by a volley of laser bolts from a TIE, and we do not see the vaporization, nor even significant shattering of the outcropping, just little red sparkles. That's right, little red sparkles from several TIE laser bolt hits, the rock outcropping does not even glow! So much for kiloton firepower.
-Mike
Yeah, I remember pointing this out a while ago here or at SB.com. The most noticeable effect was a splash effect, and at another moment a small explosion as all three ships flew into one of the craters.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:11 am

You probably did so at SB.com since the earliest I can find reference to it on SFJN is in this thread here where I bring it the attention of everyone.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:00 am

The link is dead. It's not important anyway who found it. It's still amusing to note that the novelization calls the TIE fighters "deadly pursuit ships".
And this:
TESB novelization wrote: There was still a quartet of TIE fighters tailing
the Falcon, blasting at its stern with full laser fire, but Han thought
he could outstrip them.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 am

Yeah, given that the novelization is a canon source second only to the movies themselves, it overrules any of the Warsies who think that they can explain the weak firepower away with claims that the TIE lasers were intentionally dialed down.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:51 pm

But don't you see?
The only logical explanation is that the asteroids were shielded... :)
Last edited by Praeothmin on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:02 am

Praeothmin wrote:But don't you see?
The obonly logical explanation is that the asteroids were shielded... :)
You don't say!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:56 am

No, you're both wrong. Those asteroids are clearly not mere solid nickel and iron, but pure neutronium!
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:00 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:No, you're both wrong. Those asteroids are clearly not mere solid nickel and iron, but pure neutronium!
-Mike
Some of them also happen to be Party poppers.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Just seen at SBC:
Tales of the Bounty Hunters, p.102 wrote:
Solo's last maneuver had been to strafe the Star Destroyer. Then he'd gone off the scopes. Dengar figured Solo must have gone back into the asteroid field. Perhaps Solo had shut down systems for a bit, so that his own ship seemed no more than an asteroid, but as Dengar sped into the asteroid field himself, he saw that even Solo himself wasn't crazy enough to risk such a maneuver. Rocks the size of his ship hurtled toward him, and these weren't the soft carbonaceous chrondites that his weapons might punch a hole through- these were nickel-iron rocks that could smash him to pieces.
The MF's shields couldn't withstand an impact with a ~30 meters wide nickel-iron asteroid. This contradicts the shield ratings of ships such as Padmé's Yatch, rated at 2 e12 megawatts (peak).
Plus the weapons on Dengar's ship, likely boosted like they usually are on the ship of any high profile and self respected bounty hunter, might punch through an asteroid of that size if it had been carbonaceous.
This ship, the Punishing One, came with quad laser cannons and proton torpedoes.
Update: in the context of the quote, it seems more likely that Rendar was thinking about what the MF could cope with if shields were brought down.
Still, the ICS generally hints at how the hull of spaceships is not so far from being very good, offering a proper back up until shields may be brought up again.
For example, the claim that a fusion warhead barely scratched the paint of the dorsal hull of a Venator. I've seen wongies say that it was an anti-capital ship warhead btw, stuff rated in the several gigatons, based on a loose understanding of the wanked figure of Slave-I's seismic mines (yes, what a long string of assumptions and errors).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:30 pm

On the topic of the Expeditionary Battle Planetoid, from "Rogue Planet":
Rogue Planet, Chapter 2 wrote: Tarkin could not take his eyes off the slowly rotating sphere, with its massive core-powered turbolaser now revealed. "Ah." He smiled. "Always a weapon. Have you shown this to anybody?"
Sienar shook his head sadly. He could see the enticement was working.
"The Trade Federation knows precisely what it needs and shows no interest in anything else. A deplorable lack of imagination."
"Explain it to me."
"It's a dream, but an achievable dream, given certain advances in hypermatter technology. An implosion core with a plasma about a kilometer in diameter could power an artificial construct the size of a small moon. A couple of large ice asteroids for fuel. . . common enough still in the outer fringe systems ..."
"A small crew could police an entire system with one vessel," Tarkin mused.
"Well, not so small a crew, but one vessel, certainly." Sienar walked around the display and made large, vaguely designing sweeps of his hands. "I'm considering removing the extraneous spheres, sticking with one large ball, ninety or a hundred kilometers in diameter. A more wieldy design for transport."
Tarkin smiled proudly. "I knew I picked the right man for this job, Raith." He admired the design with brows tightly knit. 'What a sense of scale! What unutterable power!"
Interesting mention of hypermatter technology, which would allow them to build an "implosion core with a plasma about a kilometer in diameter" which "could power an artificial construct the size of a small moon" and which would use a "couple of large ice asteroids for fuel..."
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:On the topic of the Expeditionary Battle Planetoid, from "Rogue Planet":
Rogue PLanet, Chapter 2 wrote: Tarkin could not take his eyes off the slowly rotating sphere, with its massive core-powered turbolaser now revealed. "Ah." He smiled. "Always a weapon. Have you shown this to anybody?"
"The Trade Federation knows precisely what it needs and shows no interest in anything else. A deplorable lack of imagination."
"Explain it to me."
"It's a dream, but an achievable dream, given certain advances in hypermatter technology. An implosion core with a plasma about a kilometer in diameter could power an artificial construct the size of a small moon. A couple of large ice asteroids for fuel. . . common enough still in the outer fringe systems ..."
"Well, not so small a crew, but one vessel, certainly." Sienar walked around the display and made large, vaguely designing sweeps of his hands. "I'm considering removing the extraneous spheres, sticking with one large ball, ninety or a hundred kilometers in diameter. A more wieldy design for transport."
Tarkin smiled proudly. "I knew I picked the right man for this job, Raith." He admired the design with brows tightly knit. 'What a sense of scale! What unutterable power!
Interesting mention of hypermatter technology, which would allow them to build an "implosion core with a plasma about a kilometer in diameter" which "could power an artificial construct the size of a small moon" and which would use a "couple of large ice asteroids for fuel..."
Sooooo... Fusion... :)
Last edited by Praeothmin on Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:On the topic of the Expeditionary Battle Planetoid, from "Rogue Planet":
Rogue PLanet, Chapter 2 wrote: Tarkin could not take his eyes off the slowly rotating sphere, with its massive core-powered turbolaser now revealed. "Ah." He smiled. "Always a weapon. Have you shown this to anybody?"
"Explain it to me."
Tarkin smiled proudly. "I knew I picked the right man for this job, Raith." He admired the design with brows tightly knit. 'What a sense of scale! What unutterable power!"
Sooooo... Fusion... :)

Is this a misprint or is my english as bad as my science cos it seems not to make sense.

"An implosion core with a plasma about a kilometer in diameter"

An implosion core with a plasma what?.

I understand and get the rest of it and will likely use it to annoy a warsie when i next get the chance but should'nt it be "An implosion core with a plasma (insert a word like "infuser or stream ect ect)". Just "a plasma" seems incomplete or am i mistaken?.