SDN: Industrial Capacity and Territorial Holdings

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Kane Starkiller wrote:No evidence has been given that either Picard, Janeway or Sisko included only homeworlds into their counts. They all referred to the number of "planets" or "worlds". What you call evidence is nothing but assumption.
The evidence is the fact that the number of species is going to come extremely close to this figure, either going over or staying under. Which would make it a logical assumption for it to mean homeworlds, because that's pretty much the only non-arbitrary definition there is. The other is to assume it is an entirely arbitrary definition, which doesn’t make much sense.
Here you simply declare my position (that Picard could be referring to all major worlds) as ridiculous and that JMS's position (that Picard is talking only about homeworlds) as plausible without bothering to explain why.
I have explained why. The assumption that he's talking about 'all major worlds' (a completely arbitrary term without further explanation) is highly suspect considering the number of homeworlds is likely going to be right around that or possibly even higher then that.
Nor have you explained why 150 species is more likely than, say, 77 species or 62.
I’ve never given a solid number. I’ve said that more then 150 is more plausible then less then 150. Or then the figure is going to land somewhere around 150.
They were mental patients weren't they?
No. Not in the sense you're trying to pass them off as. They were isolated because they were genetically engineered and dangerous to the society as a whole. When someone says 'mental patient', you think of someone lying in a padded cell drooling. But these people outsmarted the entire Starfleet, while acting on way less info then Starfleet did. This does not make them 'mental patients'. It'd be like calling Jedi homeless people (because they are, aren't they?) or something equally strange.
They were clearly unstable trying to give classified information to the enemy in the time of war and they did utterly fail to predict anything.
False. You might recall the very first thing they analyzed, involving the territory the Federation and Dominion were discussing. They saw through the plan and realized the Dominion wanted one of the planets for Ketracell production or some such (memory is a little fussy), while trying to hide that fact.

Further more, they advocated not acting on that info later on because of its repercussions, which was another thing Starfleet decided to go with.
How then were they "best of the best"?
I said they outsmarted the best of the best. And they did.
How about providing some additional evidence than "it's the way English works"? If Bill Gates talks about modest salary is he talking about roughly the same amount of money as a plumber in Zimbabwe?
Bad comparison. There are many people and each one has a different salary, ergo someone talking about modest salaries is probably going to be talking about salaries in general where he lives or by his standards.

But in the case of galaxies, there's just one. Unlike salaries each person doesn’t have a unique one, and unlike salaries the standards of galaxies doesn’t change where you live. If the GE was composed of multiple galaxies, then you'd have a case.
Then there are clearly limitations.
There are always limitations, the only thing that matters is why there are limitations and whether they are significant. From the looks of it, transportation is free, meaning that you'd have to put in place some guidelines or else people would start abusing the system. Whatever the case, free transportation for people once per day is already quite high.
It's not a paradise where eveyrones wish comes true. And Sisko used up his quota by beaming once a day to his parents. Hardly abusing the system by transporting around every few seconds.
No, he wasn't abusing the system. But he would've been if he transported around every second, and that's probably going to happen a lot if you place no restrictions on the systems. Which is probably why there's a limit to how many times you can do it.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:05 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:[...] As for the modest galaxy, I already posted evidence that there's M101, 170K LY in diameter, nearly twice ours. In light of M101, our galaxy is literally dwarfed. So 100K LY as "modest" actually works. [...]
Nobody denies, that there are galaxies far bigger than the Milky Way galaxy.

But I doubt that »modest sized galaxy« is to be related to the biggest galaxies.

I think, it is to be related to the average galaxy size.

After all, if one is speaking of a »modest sized car«, it is usually neither compared with a stretch limousine nor with a Peel P50 but with an averaged sized car.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:[...] So 100K LY as "modest" actually works. And that could be nothing in comparison to the Seyfert galaxies possibly measured as millions of light years wide. [...]
How do you come to the notion, that Seyfert galaxies are possibly measured as millions of light years wide?

Messier 77, a magnificient galaxy, is one of the biggest galaxies in Messier's catalog, its bright part measuring about 120,000 light years, but its faint extensions (which are well visible e.g. in the DSSM image) going perhaps out to nearly 170,000 light years. [1]

And the biggest known galaxy in the universe is - as far as I know - resides inside the Abell 2029 cluster. Designated as IC 1101, the monstrous giant elliptical galaxy measures a whopping 6 million light years (as compared to the 100,000 ly of the Milky Way) in diameter and is said to be at least 60 times as large as the Milky Way. It also contains about 100 trillion stars (200-400 billion for the Milky Way). [2] [3]

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:[...] As for the modest galaxy, I already posted evidence that there's M101, 170K LY in diameter, nearly twice ours. In light of M101, our galaxy is literally dwarfed. So 100K LY as "modest" actually works. [...]
Nobody denies, that there are galaxies far bigger than the Milky Way galaxy.

But I doubt that »modest sized galaxy« is to be related to the biggest galaxies.

I think, it is to be related to the average galaxy size.

After all, if one is speaking of a »modest sized car«, it is usually neither compared with a stretch limousine nor with a Peel P50 but with an averaged sized car.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:[...] So 100K LY as "modest" actually works. And that could be nothing in comparison to the Seyfert galaxies possibly measured as millions of light years wide. [...]
How do you come to the notion, that Seyfert galaxies are possibly measured as millions of light years wide?

Messier 77, a magnificient galaxy, is one of the biggest galaxies in Messier's catalog, its bright part measuring about 120,000 light years, but its faint extensions (which are well visible e.g. in the DSSM image) going perhaps out to nearly 170,000 light years. [1]

And the biggest known galaxy in the universe is - as far as I know - resides inside the Abell 2029 cluster. Designated as IC 1101, the monstrous giant elliptical galaxy measures a whopping 6 million light years (as compared to the 100,000 ly of the Milky Way) in diameter and is said to be at least 60 times as large as the Milky Way. It also contains about 100 trillion stars (200-400 billion for the Milky Way). [2] [3]
Let's say, for the sake of it, that the SW galaxy is close to a group of super massive galaxies, and thus skews the scales upon which the determine what is a modest sized galaxy.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:23 pm

Kane Starkiller wrote:I would ask is there even canonical evidence for a formal institution of "member species" in the Federation? What would that make immigrants? Second class citizens? If a Bajoran is born and raised on Andor can he not represent Andor on the Federation Council?
No. It's quite possible for unique individuals to be treated as Federation citizens without the bulk of their species being on board. However, I expect each world to have individual processes for being considered a citizen of that world and emigrating or immigrating, and further expect cases where a member of species X is representing the homeworld of species Y to be incredibly rare at best. We've never heard of such cases.
Again you showed no evidence that Federation members would opposed the addition of colonies to the membership list.
I have, actually. The complete lack of any canonical mention of a Federation colony being considered a member world establishes it as rare at best. As I have stated; I have also provided perfectly logical motivations for such.
For all we know it's in the Federation constitution to add colonies when certain conditions are met.
I already gave you the definition of Federation: an alliance of planets.
This is your strongest argument so far. It has also already been addressed.
Finally don't pretend that when Picard states "150 planets" this automatically implies homeworlds. It doesn't and you provided no evidence that it does. We can assume that he only meant inhabited planets, further assume that he only meant major inhabited planets or finally assume that he only meant homeworlds. Your assumption is the last and is unnecessarily generous, something I pointed out many times.
It does not automatically imply homeworlds. It does “automatically” - i.e., unless given compelling reason otherwise - imply either total territorial possessions (contradicted by Kirk in TOS and also implicitly absurd given the number and relative frequency of Federation possessions displayed onscreen) or the members making up the Federation. By the definition

Your claim to a reduced number of member species therefore, in its strongest form, taps the claim that colonies may become members of the alliance. However, we know of no colony world identified as a Federation member, out of a minimum of 40 Federation members.

The business of leaning on minimum rather than probable member lists adds a further complication. We then have some 30 homeworlds that are not from Federation worlds who nevertheless are likely allies of the Federation, or attempting to enter the Federation.
This we know that Federation had at least 30 members in TOS and at least 40 members in TNG. That is all we know and it might be that Federation already had close to 40 in TOS and there was no growth or that it has 80 now so it doubled in size. But it's all assumption as are your attempts to seamlessly switch from the number of species to the number of planets as given by Picard, Sisko and Janeway.
Actually, we know the Federation has grown substantially during the quarter century preceding TNG (“Yesterday's Enterprise”) and also that the Federation has been making contact with many new species during this time period (various).
And I already disproven that claim citing examples like Canada which is nowhere near it's carrying capacity yet has much lower fertility rate than places like Nigeria or Bangladesh.
No, you have not. The de facto carrying capacity of a given country is not established.

What I'm citing is a very basic ecological principle that generally applies. In the circumstances where it does not apply - and global human population does not appear to be one of those circumstances, however much you might like to point to curiosities in individual countries' behavior - we should be able to identify clear reasons.

The fact remains that the best model for human population growth in Star Trek is going to be an exponential growth model.
Decreased mortality will only work so far, a doubled lifespan will mean double population for a certain amount of time. However if the fertility rate is below replacement (thus below around 2) population will ultimately fall.
Of course.
So how did Sisko use up his "transportation quota" when visiting his parents every day? Obviously there are still limitation which really shouldn't be hard to grasp since they hardly invented perpetuum mobile. You still ignore my point that replicators are known to cost more energy than other old fashioned methods hence you have no evidence that it would be less economically costly to produce them with replicators than the old fashioned way. Thus a civilization wit more fertile planet can grow it's food without wasting energy on replicators as well as do manufacturing thus having more energy to spare on, say, ship contruction. Therefore they will always be more powerful no matter what the technology level is.
Actually, I do have evidence for the economic utility of replicators: Replicators are commonplace and widely used for both food and industrial purposes. Almost everywhere in the Federation. You're also not addressing the point I made at all, which is that for a developing colony world, replicators can replace - or create - highly specialized temporary industries for a low cost. I don't know if you've noticed, but manufacturing plants in the real world are very large and very expensive, and the energy cost to transport things interstellar distances is quite high.

At worst, we expect replicators to require on the chemical bond order of energy in manufacturing, since they assemble materials from existing substances. If you have all the appropriate elements on site, it's never going to be too much worse than the cost of shipping in materials from out-system. In many cases, we expect it to be less in the short term than building acres and acres of manufacturing facilities.
You never know when hostilities might break out. And it's not the only strategic location. Closeness to other major planets, closeness to other resources like dilithium rich asteroids, closeness to wormholes etc.
Need I remind you that Cardassians invaded Bajor for the express purpose of stripmining it? Where were their fancy replicators and population pressure then?
Hostilities being likely to break out nearby is a good reason for establishing a military outpost, but not a colony.

As far as stripmining Bajor, replicators require raw resources. They're also a technology that is most developed within the Federation. Why establish and develop a colony to run mining operations when you can simply exploit native labor and install overlords? There are enough empty habitable planets to settle excess population on.
So what? Somalia has a fertility rate of 6.6 in terrible conditions and with no need of fancy technology. When did I claim it's impossible for Federation to have higher population growth? My point was always that you are incorrect in assuming that human fertility will increase naturally because they found new colonies.
And my point is that I'm not making that assumption. I'm making the assumption that overall human fertility is going to be, in this particular model, practically independent of any modern constraints - of medical care, of available living space, of food, as none of these restrictions are significant given the typical colony size.
What do you mean "the episode did"? The episode in fact showed Dr. Bashir seriously advocating immediate surrender because his asylum friends said that in 5 generations Federation will be free and in 1000 years Federation will enter golden age and the prince kissed the Snow white and they lived happily ever after.

Plausible to whom? Bashir? Yes he obviously considered their claim to be able to predict the future for 5 generations so plausible he actually advocated Federation surrender. That makes him foolish and naive no matter what the assumptions about population were.
Foolish, perhaps. But he's not uneducated - simply socially inept. Same with the Jack Pack.
How? Picard states 150 and you only provided proof for 40 species.
How? Because every identified member world is a species homeworld. As in every observed case the two descriptions coincide, conflating them is justified in the manner I described.
Which means they themselves were not federations of planets before they signed the document. Or that none of their colonies fulfilled any of the criteria to be independent. Or that Federation constitution has plenty of time to be amended.
Or that the multi-system polities we know existed signed on behalf of themselves and all their possessions. Just as the three member Triple Entente at the beginning of the first world war consisted of the British Empire, Russian Empire, and France - meaning that Algeria and India were included as colonial possessions.
A actually never claimed that humans make up for a large percentage within the Federation. They certainly seem to make up the majority of Starfleet. So the situation could be similar to NATO where US has about 35% of population yet most of the Navy. Finally I don't accept that your assumptions about assumptions of mentally unstable individuals actually give us information about Federation fertility rates.
In other words, you wish to ignore the canonical data at hand in favor of professions that we cannot know anything.

I've mentioned before that when you start assuming the bridge crew is either stark raving mad or complete idiots, you are no longer working in a plausible model of Star Trek, and in this case, you're assuming Bashir - a doctor and perfectly competent, if socially inept, member of the DS9 crew - would not notice the gaping hole in a model that concludes identical results after five generations when not even the gross population numbers - let alone economic and military resources/options - are going to be close.

I do assume the Jack Pack made some mistakes in the model. However, as I said before, the Jack Pack model needs to be plausible. And in order for it to be plausible, the population shouldn't be terribly different, which in turn means that the population should be - at a minimum - completely recovered to its original value.
l33telboi wrote:You really should learn the difference between evidence and absolute proof. Evidence has been given by the truckload, the only thing that's missing is absolute proof. And you seem to be using that as an excuse to say absolutely no evidence has been given.
I think this is what captures it. There is nothing that explicitly states the Federation's membership strictly consists of homeworlds of varying species, totaling to a bit over 150 as of ST:FC. However, there's a lot of evidence related to each little piece of our contentions, such as the frequency distribution of Federation member species seen and identified onscreen. Such as the fact that every identified Federation member is the homeworld of a species. All these combine to create a pretty high probability that my interpretation of the matter is correct.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Let's say, for the sake of it, that the SW galaxy is close to a group of super massive galaxies, and thus skews the scales upon which the determine what is a modest sized galaxy.
While it is correct to try to define, what »modest sized« means while considering the perspective of the inhabitants of the Star Wars galaxy, it seems to me implausible to assume, that, even if the Star Wars galaxy is close to a group of super massive galaxies, they, with their advanced astronomical understanding, would define »modest sized« in relation to their unusual region of space, while speaking of an astronomical object.

They would know, that the super massive galaxies are exactly that and that an average galaxy is smaller than 30'000 light years.

For example, Earth lies within a local bubble in the Milky Way galaxy. Here are other average conditions than in the rest of the Milky Way. But we would not pretend that the average conditions around us are normal and the rest of the Milky Way is abnormal. And we would not make the conditions inside of that bubble to the standard, to which all other conditions in the Milky Way are compared.

Quite the contrary, we compare the abnormal conditions in our bubble with the standard of the Milky Way.

And, it is to assume, that the inhabitants of the Star Wars Galaxy would do the same.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Kane Starkiller wrote:Yet this "stupid" thing would actually be correct
How many times must I repeat this for you to understand, Kane?
They knew next to nothing of those Aliens, so it was impossible for them to make any predictions concerning these Aliens.
Do you want me to repeat it again? :)

Just because the Aliens did indeed close the wormhole (after Sisko has begged them to, because being the "Emissary" he knew more about them then anyone else) does not make your conclusion valid.
No one said they needed to predict exactly what would happen but merely produce a prediction scenario where wormhole became inaccessible.
Yes, of course, the last scenario having failed, let's try it again through a new method no one can think about because mining the entrance to the wormhole was pretty much the best way to do it...
I already gave you an example with Mt.Everest and Olympus Mons.
Two mountains from two different planets.
The day you find me another universe to which we can compare our galaxies, Kane, your comparison will be valid.
Alas for you, on earth, Mount everest is the highest mountain above the sea level.
But even counting the underwater mountains, Mount Everest is still one of the tallest mountains on earth.
The Milky Way galaxy is part of the bigger Galaxies in our Universe.
I don't know about other universes, but since SW is set in a Galaxy far, far away, with no mention of another universe, then a "modest Galaxy" from this Universe, where the average Galaxy is 15 to 30 000 LY accross, should not be comparable in size to our very own Milky Way.

[/i]

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Let's say, for the sake of it, that the SW galaxy is close to a group of super massive galaxies, and thus skews the scales upon which the determine what is a modest sized galaxy.
While it is correct to try to define, what »modest sized« means while considering the perspective of the inhabitants of the Star Wars galaxy, it seems to me implausible to assume, that, even if the Star Wars galaxy is close to a group of super massive galaxies, they, with their advanced astronomical understanding, would define »modest sized« in relation to their unusual region of space, while speaking of an astronomical object.
But it assumes they consider their situation unusual.

Normal, modest, big and whatelse is purely contextual. If their lifetime context is different than ours, modest for them is not modest for us.
They would know, that the super massive galaxies are exactly that and that an average galaxy is smaller than 30'000 light years.

For example, Earth lies within a local bubble in the Milky Way galaxy. Here are other average conditions than in the rest of the Milky Way. But we would not pretend that the average conditions around us are normal and the rest of the Milky Way is abnormal. And we would not make the conditions inside of that bubble to the standard, to which all other conditions in the Milky Way are compared.

Quite the contrary, we compare the abnormal conditions in our bubble with the standard of the Milky Way.

And, it is to assume, that the inhabitants of the Star Wars Galaxy would do the same.
If they're surrounded by a mass of super massive galaxies, and are the first ones they spotted until seeing deeper through space, their whole astrophysics would be tinted by the scope of their former discoveries and the reality of their situation.
You'd certainly consider yourself modest if your neighbourhood sported bigger fishes.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Kane Starkiller » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:No. It's quite possible for unique individuals to be treated as Federation citizens without the bulk of their species being on board. However, I expect each world to have individual processes for being considered a citizen of that world and emigrating or immigrating, and further expect cases where a member of species X is representing the homeworld of species Y to be incredibly rare at best. We've never heard of such cases.
Why would you expect someone would explicitly point out that an individual representing a planet where he is not indigenous species? In fact why wouldnt it be possible that a number of species currently treated as "member species" because they have been seen in Federation politics couldn't be immigrants?
Jedi Master Spock wrote:I have, actually. The complete lack of any canonical mention of a Federation colony being considered a member world establishes it as rare at best. As I have stated; I have also provided perfectly logical motivations for such.
That's like saying since no US territory was ever considered a state a US territory cannot become a state.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:This is your strongest argument so far. It has also already been addressed.
Where?
Jedi Master Spock wrote:It does not automatically imply homeworlds. It does “automatically” - i.e., unless given compelling reason otherwise - imply either total territorial possessions (contradicted by Kirk in TOS and also implicitly absurd given the number and relative frequency of Federation possessions displayed onscreen) or the members making up the Federation. By the definition

Your claim to a reduced number of member species therefore, in its strongest form, taps the claim that colonies may become members of the alliance. However, we know of no colony world identified as a Federation member, out of a minimum of 40 Federation members.

The business of leaning on minimum rather than probable member lists adds a further complication. We then have some 30 homeworlds that are not from Federation worlds who nevertheless are likely allies of the Federation, or attempting to enter the Federation.
Kirk's statement comes 100 years earlier so there is no contradiction even if we assume both he and Picard used the same filter. Furthermore, yes, obviously we should restrict ourselves on what we know (40 species and even that I'm not sure are actual "members" as opposed to immigrants) rather than jumping from 40 to 150. The number of allied homeworlds or planets is also irrelevant to the number of planets in the Federation.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Actually, we know the Federation has grown substantially during the quarter century preceding TNG (“Yesterday's Enterprise”) and also that the Federation has been making contact with many new species during this time period (various).
You'll have to be more specific about "Yesterday's Enterprise", I can't recall anything about Federation growth. And the number of discovered species during TNG only shows how little the Federation knows it's own corner of the galaxy certainly not the size of the Federation.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:No, you have not. The de facto carrying capacity of a given country is not established.

What I'm citing is a very basic ecological principle that generally applies. In the circumstances where it does not apply - and global human population does not appear to be one of those circumstances, however much you might like to point to curiosities in individual countries' behavior - we should be able to identify clear reasons.

The fact remains that the best model for human population growth in Star Trek is going to be an exponential growth model.
I would say that if a country can be a net food exporter that is certainly a sign that a country could take more people. I suspect that you'll try to drag this discussion into tedious debate of what is "carrying capacity" but that is irrelevant. The point is that countries like Canada or Australia have a much lower density, a much higher ratio of arable land to population and far more natural resources than countries like Bangladesh yet their fertility rate is much lower. Every single developed nation, regardless of it's population density and available arable land has had a drop in fertility rate. You have not shown a shred of evidence that fertility rate of the human race will increase with the discovery of new planets. Show the evidence or concede that you have no evidence that fertility rate will increase.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Actually, I do have evidence for the economic utility of replicators: Replicators are commonplace and widely used for both food and industrial purposes. Almost everywhere in the Federation. You're also not addressing the point I made at all, which is that for a developing colony world, replicators can replace - or create - highly specialized temporary industries for a low cost. I don't know if you've noticed, but manufacturing plants in the real world are very large and very expensive, and the energy cost to transport things interstellar distances is quite high.

At worst, we expect replicators to require on the chemical bond order of energy in manufacturing, since they assemble materials from existing substances. If you have all the appropriate elements on site, it's never going to be too much worse than the cost of shipping in materials from out-system. In many cases, we expect it to be less in the short term than building acres and acres of manufacturing facilities.
Yet Federation and Romulan Empire still have dilithium mines. Why don't they replicate it? Cardassia also built DS9 for the express purpose of acting as a mining station. Where are the replicators?
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Hostilities being likely to break out nearby is a good reason for establishing a military outpost, but not a colony.

As far as stripmining Bajor, replicators require raw resources. They're also a technology that is most developed within the Federation. Why establish and develop a colony to run mining operations when you can simply exploit native labor and install overlords? There are enough empty habitable planets to settle excess population on.
And it's still better to have a military outpost on a hospitable world and force the other side to establish theirs on a barren rock isn't it? What evidence do you have that Federation replicators are most advanced?
Jedi Master Spock wrote:And my point is that I'm not making that assumption. I'm making the assumption that overall human fertility is going to be, in this particular model, practically independent of any modern constraints - of medical care, of available living space, of food, as none of these restrictions are significant given the typical colony size.
I agree. The main factor will be cultural and educational.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Foolish, perhaps. But he's not uneducated - simply socially inept. Same with the Jack Pack.
Social ineptness had nothing to do with him buying their far fetched prediction. The very idea of basing war decisions based on a prediction that 5 generations in the future an uprising is formed is so stupid that any assumptions about population or population growth are merely icing on the cake.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:How? Because every identified member world is a species homeworld. As in every observed case the two descriptions coincide, conflating them is justified in the manner I described.
And how many of these cases are there? Enough that you can claim it's not just a coincidence?
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Or that the multi-system polities we know existed signed on behalf of themselves and all their possessions. Just as the three member Triple Entente at the beginning of the first world war consisted of the British Empire, Russian Empire, and France - meaning that Algeria and India were included as colonial possessions.
Yes. We simply don't know. You opt for the most generous possible option.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:In other words, you wish to ignore the canonical data at hand in favor of professions that we cannot know anything.

I've mentioned before that when you start assuming the bridge crew is either stark raving mad or complete idiots, you are no longer working in a plausible model of Star Trek, and in this case, you're assuming Bashir - a doctor and perfectly competent, if socially inept, member of the DS9 crew - would not notice the gaping hole in a model that concludes identical results after five generations when not even the gross population numbers - let alone economic and military resources/options - are going to be close.

I do assume the Jack Pack made some mistakes in the model. However, as I said before, the Jack Pack model needs to be plausible. And in order for it to be plausible, the population shouldn't be terribly different, which in turn means that the population should be - at a minimum - completely recovered to its original value.
Plausible to whom? Your entire argument hinges on the assumption that Bashir's criteria for a plausible population needed for an uprising are similar to yours. You showed no evidence for that.

Praethomin wrote:How many times must I repeat this for you to understand, Kane?
They knew next to nothing of those Aliens, so it was impossible for them to make any predictions concerning these Aliens.
Do you want me to repeat it again? :)

Just because the Aliens did indeed close the wormhole (after Sisko has begged them to, because being the "Emissary" he knew more about them then anyone else) does not make your conclusion valid.
Again, no one ever said they needed to predict the exact way the wormhole will be closed or even that it will close. What they should have done, what anyone serious about predicting future would have done, is create different scenarios. What happens in case wormhole is open and what happens in case someone manages to close it.
Praethomin wrote:Two mountains from two different planets.
The day you find me another universe to which we can compare our galaxies, Kane, your comparison will be valid.
Alas for you, on earth, Mount everest is the highest mountain above the sea level.
But even counting the underwater mountains, Mount Everest is still one of the tallest mountains on earth.
The Milky Way galaxy is part of the bigger Galaxies in our Universe.
I don't know about other universes, but since SW is set in a Galaxy far, far away, with no mention of another universe, then a "modest Galaxy" from this Universe, where the average Galaxy is 15 to 30 000 LY accross, should not be comparable in size to our very own Milky Way.
Why would it have to be "other" Universe? Why not another part of Universe where galaxies are bigger? But again this doesn't change the fact you haven't shown how "modest" translates into an explicit number we can work with.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:13 am

Before posting more stuff, I'd like to point out that nowhere in Bashir's club's estimation, there's been any proof that the war would last less than a generation.

Unless I missed a piece of script, of course.

Assuming I didn't, the war could last a hundred years for all we know, giving ample time for Federation worlds to grow their population by favouring massive fertility campaigns for the war effort.

Therefore, 900 billion would pose as the total casualties over decades of war, and would not represent a fraction of the population at the time the estimation was made.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 am

Kane Starkiller wrote:What they should have done, what anyone serious about predicting future would have done, is create different scenarios. What happens in case wormhole is open and what happens in case someone manages to close it.
Well, allow me to use your type of arguing then:
We have no proof that they didn't, and that the scenarion they presented wasn't simply the most likely to happen due to the current situation at the moment of their planning.
Meaning that, in view of the failed efforts to close off the wormhole, the most likely scenario to happen didn't involve the wormhole to be closed...
Why would it have to be "other" Universe? Why not another part of Universe where galaxies are bigger?
Why not another part where the Galaxies are smaller then?
This is cherry picking.
But again this doesn't change the fact you haven't shown how "modest" translates into an explicit number we can work with.
Perhaps, but again I've shown you that "modest" cannot mean a 120 000 LY galaxy either... :)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 am

Kane Starkiller wrote:Why would you expect someone would explicitly point out that an individual representing a planet where he is not indigenous species? In fact why wouldnt it be possible that a number of species currently treated as "member species" because they have been seen in Federation politics couldn't be immigrants?
It's possible, just not particularly plausible. (It also conflicts with the quasi-canonical background information, of course, in many cases.)
That's like saying since no US territory was ever considered a state a US territory cannot become a state.
Not at all. It's like looking at a bunch of US island possessions and then concluding its quite rare for one to become a state. It may be possible (Hawaii is a US state now) but it's quite rare.

In the case of the Federation, we've seen roughly a hundred colonies started by Federation members. Some are independent, but none are ever referred to as Federation members within the canon. We've also had roughly forty worlds explicitly identified as members, and quite a few more identified as applicants. In all cases where we have information, member and prospective member worlds are not colonies.
Where?
In several posts, including the last one. It's an argument I've been hoping you'd try to develop more than you have, but I addressed it anyway.
Kirk's statement comes 100 years earlier so there is no contradiction even if we assume both he and Picard used the same filter.
Actually, since colonization is actively proceeding through this entire era, largely successfully, it is absurd to assume the Federation shrank by a factor of six while adding new members and becoming much more powerful.
Furthermore, yes, obviously we should restrict ourselves on what we know (40 species and even that I'm not sure are actual "members" as opposed to immigrants) rather than jumping from 40 to 150. The number of allied homeworlds or planets is also irrelevant to the number of planets in the Federation.
40 members is assuming:
  • Of all planets seen applying for Federation membership, only Coridan was actually admitted.
  • None of the various species seen serving in official Federation capacities are Federation members.
  • To wit, in other words, Trill and Bajor are assumed to be not Federation members.
  • No other species that we have seen are Federation members.
  • In spite of having seen many Federation member species only once or twice onscreen, we have seen all Federation members.
None of these assumptions is reasonable or justified.

Let me reiterate: You're arguing “X is possible, too, so not Y.” I'm returning with “This is why X is implausible. This is why Y is plausible.” You're not countering my arguments at all this way.
You'll have to be more specific about "Yesterday's Enterprise", I can't recall anything about Federation growth. And the number of discovered species during TNG only shows how little the Federation knows it's own corner of the galaxy certainly not the size of the Federation.
It is implicit. The Federation has grown relative to the ever-expanding Klingon Empire.
I would say that if a country can be a net food exporter that is certainly a sign that a country could take more people. I suspect that you'll try to drag this discussion into tedious debate of what is "carrying capacity" but that is irrelevant. The point is that countries like Canada or Australia have a much lower density, a much higher ratio of arable land to population and far more natural resources than countries like Bangladesh yet their fertility rate is much lower. Every single developed nation, regardless of it's population density and available arable land has had a drop in fertility rate. You have not shown a shred of evidence that fertility rate of the human race will increase with the discovery of new planets. Show the evidence or concede that you have no evidence that fertility rate will increase.
And my point is that almost all of them display a roughly logistic population curve, and more importantly, so does the planet as a whole.
Yet Federation and Romulan Empire still have dilithium mines. Why don't they replicate it? Cardassia also built DS9 for the express purpose of acting as a mining station. Where are the replicators?
Already dealt with, in both cases. It's reasonable to assume that replicators assemble, rather than create, matter, and further, worth noting that replicators have limits.
And it's still better to have a military outpost on a hospitable world and force the other side to establish theirs on a barren rock isn't it? What evidence do you have that Federation replicators are most advanced?
If location is important, you'll establish your military base on a rock. As the Federation did to keep an eye on the Romulans after the war. (“Balance of Terror.”)
I agree. The main factor will be cultural and educational.
Subject to the constraints we have. Such as the Jack Pack figures.
Social ineptness had nothing to do with him buying their far fetched prediction. The very idea of basing war decisions based on a prediction that 5 generations in the future an uprising is formed is so stupid that any assumptions about population or population growth are merely icing on the cake.
It's not stupid - it's simply arrogant. Foolish, perhaps, but it's the sort of mistake naive smart people make. Assuming radical changes in reproduction rates is not.
And how many of these cases are there? Enough that you can claim it's not just a coincidence?
In a word? Yes. If you flip a coin forty times, and it comes up heads every time, it would be very optimistic to hope for better than a 2% chance of getting tails. Even if you throw out all the “homeworld” references, i.e., the species we know are members but whose homeworld we haven't talked about onscreen, throw out the mere probable members, we still have enough to claim that it's not a coincidence. Having fewer than a hundred homeworlds out of the 150+ members and yet having seen no non-homeworld members is highly improbable.

If we're really thinking about explicitly identified planets, we should further include all the cases where a world has been observed to apply to the Federation and the eventual result is not clear, since they clearly could have become Federation members. In this case, we have something like 20, and statistically speaking, we are advised not to hope for the existence of more than a half dozen or so non-homeworld members of the Federation.
Yes. We simply don't know. You opt for the most generous possible option.
With good reasons.
Plausible to whom? Your entire argument hinges on the assumption that Bashir's criteria for a plausible population needed for an uprising are similar to yours. You showed no evidence for that.
Bashir's criteria for a plausible model that doesn't differ five generations out ignoring population is silly. Particularly as the immense casualty count is what he focuses on.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Before posting more stuff, I'd like to point out that nowhere in Bashir's club's estimation, there's been any proof that the war would last less than a generation.
I think it's reasonable to assume that it wouldn't last more than a few years given the rate at which the war progressed. If the overall growth rate is fairly small, spreading the war out over ten or twenty more years won't alter the numbers very much, either.

There's a lot of “give” in the model, really. I just think assuming the Federation population is very close to 900 billion is a bad idea. Even if Gideon's membership application was rejected.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:32 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
But it assumes they consider their situation unusual.
They are an advanced spacefaring society, which allegedly travels through their own galaxy with velocities faster than light for several thousand years.
A profound understanding of astronomy, that is necessary to be able to do that, can be assumed.

And that means that they know, that their situation is unusual, if it is unusual and that they know, that the surrounding galaxies are exceedingly big and that most other galaxies, almost all other galaxies, are less than 30'000 light years in diameter.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Normal, modest, big and whatelse is purely contextual. If their lifetime context is different than ours, modest for them is not modest for us.
It is correct, that such comparative terms only get their meaning in relation to a frame of reference.

But the frame of reference, if we are comparing the size of galaxies, is the same because we are in the same galaxy.

And there is no indication, that, from their point of view, the galaxy seems to be different to the galaxy from our point of view. The local conditions may be different. But the conditions in the galaxy as a whole are the same. And, as already said, as an advanced spacefaring society, which allegedly travels through their own galaxy with velocities faster than light for several thousand years, they would have a profound understanding of astronomy and therefore would know the conditions in the galaxy as a whole.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote:They would know, that the super massive galaxies are exactly that and that an average galaxy is smaller than 30'000 light years.

If they're surrounded by a mass of super massive galaxies, and are the first ones they spotted until seeing deeper through space, their whole astrophysics would be tinted by the scope of their former discoveries and the reality of their situation.
Our own society is yet not really able to travel to the next planet. But we are already able to discover galaxies, that are 13 billion light years away. An advanced spacefaring society, which allegedly travels through their own galaxy with velocities faster than light for several thousand years, should be able to see galaxies, who are farther away.

From that premise, it is to conclude, that they would have learned, that their local space is abnormal and that most other galaxies, almost all other galaxies, are less than 30'000 light years in diameter, a few thousand years ago.

That's enough time to accept the new reality.

Mr. Oragahn wrote:You'd certainly consider yourself modest if your neighbourhood sported bigger fishes.
You forget the frame of reference.

It's like in some IQ tests: Galaxy is to universe like you to ...
    1. ... your family
    2. ... your neighbourhood
    3. ... your nation
    4. ... mankind

And yes, it is possible, that they would ignore the fact, that the surrounding galaxies are exceedingly big and that most other galaxies, almost all other galaxies, are less than 30'000 light years in diameter and that therefore they would compare the size of their own galaxy only with the them surrounding galaxies.

But there is neither an indication for such a topocentric perception nor for the notion that the Star Wars galaxy is surrounded by a group of super massive galaxies.

And because both premisses would be abnormal, evidence for their existence would be necessary to accept them.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:13 pm

If the Federation is composed of only 40 species, is it not extraordinary that Data had met 1,754 species in thirty years of existence?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:They are an advanced spacefaring society, which allegedly travels through their own galaxy with velocities faster than light for several thousand years.
They are also, by many sources, people who don't know their galaxy and didn't fly outside in more than twenty millenia.
A profound understanding of astronomy, that is necessary to be able to do that, can be assumed.
No, just a profound understanding of a technology, a piece of physics, a tool, that is there to be used to explore a place.
Knowing how to build a car doesn't mean I know the rest of the world on the top of my head.
And that means that they know, that their situation is unusual, if it is unusual and that they know, that the surrounding galaxies are exceedingly big and that most other galaxies, almost all other galaxies, are less than 30'000 light years in diameter.
Purely unsubstantiated I'm afraid.
We don't know anything about their galactic context.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:It is correct, that such comparative terms only get their meaning in relation to a frame of reference.

But the frame of reference, if we are comparing the size of galaxies, is the same because we are in the same galaxy.
What?
And there is no indication, that, from their point of view, the galaxy seems to be different to the galaxy from our point of view.
Unsubstantiated.
Our own society is yet not really able to travel to the next planet. But we are already able to discover galaxies, that are 13 billion light years away. An advanced spacefaring society, which allegedly travels through their own galaxy with velocities faster than light for several thousand years, should be able to see galaxies, who are farther away.

From that premise, it is to conclude, that they would have learned, that their local space is abnormal and that most other galaxies, almost all other galaxies, are less than 30'000 light years in diameter, a few thousand years ago.

That's enough time to accept the new reality.
That's incorrect. It's not because they'd discover smaller galaxies they'd forget those surrounding them.
Their context would be based on their former knowledged and nearest neighbourhood. They couldn't close their eyes.
Let's pretend that the SW galaxy is somewhere in the center of the universe, and that there, galaxies are far more massive.
Mr. Oragahn wrote:You forget the frame of reference.

It's like in some IQ tests: Galaxy is to universe like you to ...
    1. ... your family
    2. ... your neighbourhood
    3. ... your nation
    4. ... mankind
And yes, it is possible, that they would ignore the fact, that the surrounding galaxies are exceedingly big and that most other galaxies, almost all other galaxies, are less than 30'000 light years in diameter and that therefore they would compare the size of their own galaxy only with the them surrounding galaxies.
Of course we don't know that either.
I'm afraid we can go on endlessly, but this only hinges on the ignorance of all sides, and the theory relies on this.
But there is neither an indication for such a topocentric perception nor for the notion that the Star Wars galaxy is surrounded by a group of super massive galaxies.
And because both premisses would be abnormal, evidence for their existence would be necessary to accept them.
Of course, there is ZERO evidence to the contrary.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:52 pm

2046 wrote:If the Federation is composed of only 40 species, is it not extraordinary that Data had met 1,754 species in thirty years of existence?
Where has he traveled?