dead forum

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Narsil wrote:EDIT: Malformation comes from the Latin malus, meaning 'bad'. Basically, malformation means 'badly formed'.
Exactly. When taken in its most plain context, "badly formed" does not mean that you have some sort of crippling, disfiguring physical or mental condition, it simply means formed in a way considered detrimental to normal functions or behavior. Problems concerning personal interaction is considered to be detrimental to normal behavior...as, frankly, your last post more or less confirms.

If you are going to continue to behave in such a manner over word choice, you may find it difficult to interact in a proper manner on this message board and, if your last post is any indication, may find it difficult to avoid a temporary ban.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:03 am

Wow, I flamed someone over the internet, lock me up in a padded cell and throw away the key... Image

I am allowed to get angry and flame people when I'm very severely offended, you know, without being a raving socially crippled lunatic. Most people tend to react that way. It's called being human, and rage is one of the simplest, most natural human emotions there is. Second only to lust, which I'm sure we can all agree is pretty damn high on the 'basic human emotions' ladder. Though unlike lust, rage is a bad thing on occasion, and I apologise for the overreaction. But I think disorder would have been a better phrasing of it; 'I don't conform to the order' is a little better than 'I'm badly formed'. Hell, there was a slightly more rebellious time of my life where I wore the former as a badge of anarchistic pride if nothing else.

And my anger has a lot more to do with various negative and traumatic experiences in life, not my autistic tendencies. It's hard not to be an angry or overreactive person when you've actually genuinely undergone a full and proper emotional and mental breakdown in your life. I have. It was neither pleasant nor pretty, and left a few hefty scars; so if I seem like I'm a bit overreactive, it's not due to my Asperger's syndrome, but it's due to all of my bad, terrible experiences in life.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an essay on 'gloomth' (a mixture of horror and gloom, as characterised during the Romantic period) to write...

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:21 am

Narsil wrote:
I am allowed to get angry and flame people
Not on this board:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:
No flaming. Insults, attacks, and rudeness all serve as obstacles to discourse; they will not be tolerated.
I did not mean any offense when I chose the word "malformation," in fact I was trying to avoid offense. You on the other hand not only admit to flaming, but your language ("Go fuck yourself" etc.) can only be interpreted as such.

I suggest you click the above link and read the rules carefully, since that's something you obviously neglected to do.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:47 am

Narsil wrote:Wow, I flamed someone over the internet, lock me up in a padded cell and throw away the key...

I am allowed to get angry and flame people when I'm very severely offended, you know, without being a raving socially crippled lunatic.
And when you do, they want to rage back. That's how fights get started, and also how constructive dialog ends, IMO. That's why one of the very few rules I enforce here is the one against flaming.
I apologise for the overreaction. But I think disorder would have been a better phrasing of it; 'I don't conform to the order' is a little better than 'I'm badly formed'. Hell, there was a slightly more rebellious time of my life where I wore the former as a badge of anarchistic pride if nothing else.
I would agree that "disorder" is likely to get a less negative reaction than "malformed." "Disorder" is a term very commonly used. ILDN, you might take note of this for future reference.

Now, the question of psychiatric treatment of mild disorders is actually an interesting one, if anyone here is willing to go into medical and social ethics, but if we can't have a civil discussion about it, we won't get very far.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:47 pm

I found myself laughing while reading this thread. Why, you ask. Because I have had this discussion many times on the internet and in real life. I always play Narsil's role. I have occasionally flipped out much worse than he did here. I actually remember a situation that matched this one almost word for word.

I haven't had a discussion like this for a few months. I am fixing my problems with interacting with people. I agree that it is a disorder, at the same time, I agree with Narsil that it doesn't have to be cured. There is nothing wrong with being slightly reserved, while it does slightly deviate from the norm. I am receiving no treatment, as I believe that behavioral quirks require none. I am simply making an attempt to be more social and to be less defensive of myself. I am taking it at my own pace, and am making progress, but slowly.

I completely understand both sides of the argument in this case. ILDN, while it wasn't meant to offend anyone, malformed was a poor word choice, and nothing more. I hope we can all play nice, now, as it is one my favorite games. ;)

To address JMS's proposed discussion of the appropriateness of treatment of minor disorders, I am against it. These minor disorders are generally a part of this person's personality, and treating it would alter them as individuals. Seeing how these are minor disorders, and really have no negative effects on society, this treatment becomes a form of control to make individuals more malleable to society. I find it very similar to programming Clones to obey their masters and to rely upon their support. You are, essentially, robbing them of their humanity, by molding them into something other than what they want to be, or of what they naturally are.

Like I have previously stated, most minor behavioral disorders are just quirks of that person's personality and state of mind. Treatment of these disorders would alter their personality, which would be fine if it was that individuals choice, but horribly unethical if it was, say, the choice of their parents, or maybe of a boss or other authority figure, even a spouse.

I find small things like this, to be some of the first steps into transforming our world into one similar to that of 1984. Just the first of thousands of steps, that may or may not be taken. Any counter arguments?

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:57 am

Once again I only chose the word because I was trying to choose a neutral term since Narsil seemed to have a lot of trouble accepting argument. I wsa just trying to defuse a situation.

But now I'm tired of it. From this point forward, I simply will refuse to engage in any discussion with Narsil, since he seems to be more interested in being argumentative rather than wanting to engage in discussion, not only with me but with other members.