Status of the Imperial Fleet

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:57 pm

l33telboi and mojo, that's not my board and maybe it's out of my competence to say this.

But I wouldn't allow the last two posts. They don't contribute to a "polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek."

We should always try to maintain a certain niveau on this board.

What has the question, if "Lando seems to need more fiber in his diet" to do with the Status of the Imerpial Fleet?

If you think, that's worth of a separate debatte, you should create a new thread.

But what do you expect as an answer on your post?

To be honest, if that would be my board, I would erase both posts at once and admonish you.

That's exactly what I herewith propose to Jedi Master Spock. Please erase these both posts and this post, which would become pointless as soon as the two other posts are erased.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:49 am

Who is like God arbour wrote:l33telboi and mojo, that's not my board and maybe it's out of my competence to say this.

But I wouldn't allow the last two posts. They don't contribute to a "polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek."
Oh come now. A little humor here and there never hurt anyone.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:15 am

What has the question, if "Lando seems to need more fiber in his diet" to do with the Status of the Imerpial Fleet?
I actually think that's funnier than both the posts that were aiming at humor. I loled.
However, I admit my post wasn't meant as a polite or reasoned bit of debate. If people are going to be irritated, I won't bother with that kind of thing anymore.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:15 am

l33telboi wrote:Oh come now. A little humor here and there never hurt anyone.
The problem with humor is, where it ends and where tastelessness begins.

If one has the right to post such nonsense, all have to have the right to post such nonsense. Who can decide, what is harmless, tolerable humor and what is below the belt?

A post, who has nothing but "humor", crosses - in my opinion - the line.

Such a post is neither reasonable nor informative, is devoid of content and therefore doesn't stay on topic. That's a breach of several rules in one single post.

Jedi Master Spock wrote:In truth, this board has one rule:

All discourse is to be reasonable, polite, and informative.

To this end, the following simple specific rules should be kept in mind and followed at all times:
  • No flaming. Insults, attacks, and rudeness all serve as obstacles to discourse; they will not be tolerated.
  • No spamming. Posts devoid of content are subject to deletion.
  • Stay on topic. If you must digress a great deal, create a new thread to deal with the digression. Discussion not suited to the forum being used should be brought to another forum.
  • Obey all rules specific to the forum section. Some forum sections have additional rules.
  • When in doubt, do what the moderation staff said to.
  • Act in good faith. Trolling, dishonesty, and other forms of insincere behavior may be penalized at our discretion.

The following are very good pieces of advice:
  • Personal information is irrelevant - yours or someone else's.
  • Take a deep breath, think, and read carefully before replying.
  • Check spelling and grammar before posting. If you have a lot of trouble with that (or with server lag), consider writing your posts up with a word processor first. Spellcheck, grammar check, and then copy and paste.
  • If you're just repeating what you (or someone else) just said, it's probably not worth posting.
  • If you just want to post up information, consider the Starfleet Jedi Open Database. We could always use more contributors.
  • If you feel the moderators have acted unjustly, you are welcome to make an appeal in private to the administrator - but have all your ducks in a row. Don't waste my time with unfounded complaints.
Repeated violation of the board rules may result in temporary or permanent bans.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:21 am

I apologize, for my lack, of seriousness, in my post, with the photoshopped Lando, and will not, in the future, attempt humor, even when, it seems harmless. I will also, stick as many commas, in my sentences, as possible, regardless of, the grammatical correctness, of said commas.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:22 am

The blast most certainly does not appear to have come from the Death Star, given his expression. Nice cover story, though.

I'm not saying the thread should devolve into a link-fest of funny pics (better to make a thread for that), but given the inherent absurdity of the Star Trek vs. Star Wars topic it seems silly to get too cranky about a joke.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:06 am

mojo wrote:I will also, stick as many commas, in my sentences, as possible, regardless of, the grammatical correctness, of said commas.
That's not necessary. It would be enough, if you stick to the comma setting rules.

Usually, I set my commas, how I would set them in German. Otherwise, I would have trouble to understand my own sentences.

But on the first view over these rules, I couldn't find a wrong comma in my last posts.

Maybe you can enlighten me.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:18 am

Who is like God arbour wrote:
mojo wrote:I will also, stick as many commas, in my sentences, as possible, regardless of, the grammatical correctness, of said commas.
That's not necessary. It would be enough, if you stick to the comma setting rules.

Usually, I set my commas, how I would set them in German. Otherwise, I would have trouble to understand my own sentences.

But on the first view over these rules, I couldn't find a wrong comma in my last posts.

Maybe you can enlighten me.
I, was, just, trying, to, inject, some, humor, into, my, apology. Please, accept, this, apology, for, the, last, apology, which, was, perhaps, in, poor, taste. Now, could, we, please, drop, the, whole, thing, as, we've, derailed, the, thread.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:55 am

OK, let it rest in peace.

I suggest the erasure of all, not to the topic contributory posts - or at least the creation of a - and the transfer of said posts in a new thread.

Maybe we could return to the actual topic.

The last serious post was the following:
Last edited by Who is like God arbour on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:56 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
The battle slogs on for a considerable time IIRC. I haven't read the movie novelizations; is it addressed there, some new-fangled Rebel device (anti-Interdictor?)?
That also presupposes that in the true story of Star Wars, as concieved of and written by George Lucas for the movies, that Interdictor SDs even exist for the Rebels to have to come up with a counter for in the first place. If the Rebels did, then would it not be logical for the New Republic to have such a counter in the Thrawn trilogy, or any of the other EU novels?
-Mike
In my opinion, such Interdictor Star Destroyers - or other ships with similar purposes [1] - are not only not supported by the movie, but almost outright contradicted.

According to the EU, at the time of the Battle of Endor, the Alliance has known, that there are classes of capital ship capable of generating an interdiction field.

But that doesn't fit with the movie.

We could see, that Amdiral Ackbar was informed, that there are enemy ship in Sector 47 at time index 1:31:13 and comes to the conclusion, that's a trap, only three seconds later, at time index 1:31:16.
If the Alliance would have known about interdiction fields, he - or one of his officers - would have checked, if such an field is activated ot once.

But after the Death Star has fired its first time, he has ordered all craft prepare to retreat - at time index 1:38:00
If he and his officers aren't incompetent, it was checked, if there is an interdiction field. That he has ordered all craft to prepare to retreat, has to mean, that there is no such field.

Otherwise, Palpatine wanted to destroy the rebels once and for all. For this, he would have to prevent, that they could have escaped with all available means. If he would have had ships, which are able to generate interdictor fields, he would have deployed them.
  • If there is a technology, whith which a field can be created, which prevent ships from escaping, one could even assume, that it is installed on the Death Star itself.
The only plausible conclusion seems to me, that there are no such interdiction fields.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Status of the Imperial Fleet

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:10 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote:
Lando seems to need more fiber in his diet.
A coma diet for WILGA would be good as well.
Makes the reading particularily rough and unconfortable, despite the good points he makes.