I got curious. Should we tally them up?

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.

What is your level of education?

Have not yet completed high school/dropped out of high school.
8%
High school diploma, GED, or other equivalent.
8%
Technical school, associate's degree, preparatory school, or an halfway-complete course of study from a university, or similar equivalent.
29%
At least a bachelor's degree or equivalent.
46%
I would rather not say / I would rather not contribute to statistics for this board / I think this poll is a bad idea.
8%

Total votes: 24

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

I got curious. Should we tally them up?

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:28 am

If you believe in the proposition that people who post on this board are uneducated or ignorant, I request that you select the fifth option.

I find the complete insistence of certain other individuals that the VS debate is educationally stacked a very curious matter, and - understanding, of course, that only a handful of people are likely to answer this poll out of our several dozen registered members - thought it still might demonstrate a point to actually post a poll.

For reference, I have not chosen to offer those with a greater education than the simple bachelor's level because those complaining the loudest are possessed of no more than that.

For those of you unfamiliar with the US and Canadian school systems, upon which the poll is based, "high school" is a ~13 year program beginning at age 4-5 and ending at age 17-18. Some students may graduate earlier or later, but 17-18 is typical.

If you've completed a pre-university program that lasts to age 19-20, you should probably check the next option, which represents typically an additional ~2 years non-intensive schooling in a preparatory school (this is not to be confused with preparatory school in the UK, which addresses a different age group altogether.)

A bachelor's degree represents a four year course of study in a subject at a university, typically ending at age 21-22 if done right after high school and the student is competent and dilligent. Internationally, nearly any program conducted at something referred to as a "university" will qualify if completed, and a serious, voluntary, and full-time course of study of four years is usually equivalent to a bachelor's degree no matter how it was conducted.

It is not necessary that you provide any details, and in fact, I don't recommend it. I would like instead to focus discussion on this thread on this matter:

Of what relevance is formal education to the validity of your arguments?

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am

Other than acquiring the necessary mathematics and scientific knowledge to preform relevant calculations I don't think a formal education is that useful for Versus debate purposes. Most of the scientific facts can be found on University websites anyways. Logic and reasoning skills are supposed to be traits of our species though many people choose not to exercise them on a regular basis. I guess knowing how to present a coherent argument is something you can pretty much only get through traditional education, but the rest of the useful skills and knowledge can be found elsewhere.

I forgot perhaps the most important thing, knowledge about Star Trek and Star Wars (though this should be a given, it often isn't).

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:57 pm

Facts are facts. There are many subjects that I haven't had a formal education on that couldn't be solved for the debate by some research and logic.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:19 pm

I think a formal education will help you form precise reasoning, will allow you to express yourself in a clearer way.
Philosophy, for example, helps devellop your analytical mind.
Language classes help you use the right words to express yourself.
Math helps with understanding numbers, and how they relate toghether.
Sexual psychology... well, that's just for fun... :)

Does it mean that someone without a formal education cannot understands the same concepts as someone with, say a Bachelor's degree in physical engineering?
Nope, but what it does mean is that the person who read it by himself might have taken a little more time to fully understand it.
Facts are facts.
True. But even those can be seen in different ways by different people.

And a formal degree doesn't make someone the Ultimate authority on anything. After all, any body with an equivalent degree could argue in favor of the opposite view.
In fact, in the real world, they do all the time.
Political analysts argue on who has the best chance to win the next election.
Financial analysts argue on how the economy will be doing next year.
Medical Doctors argue on the best treatments for certain illnesses, etc, etc, etc...

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:27 am

Praeothmin wrote:
Facts are facts.
We're getting into the spin full zone...

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:31 am

With a third of this board having answered this poll so far (and I don't expect figures to go up from this much) figures are in that will essentially hold for the board population to date. Out of respondents who answered:

0% have no high school diploma or GED.
9% have only a high school diploma or GED.
45% have some college or an associate's degree.
45% have a bachelor's degree or a higher level of education.

I would encourage any detractors of this board who wish to claim that this board is full of the uneducated, e.g., Wong et al, to make an identical poll on another board and see what results they get.

For reference, the US Census Bureau tells us that, out of the general population aged 15 and older, within the United States*, as of 2003 or so:

20% have no high school diploma or GED.
30% have only a high school diploma or GED.
26% have some college or an associate's degree. ("Some college": 18%. "Associate's degree": 8%.)
24% have a bachelor's degree or higher level of education. (Bachelor's: 16%. Master's: 6%. Doctorate: 1%. Professional degree: 1%.)

AFT
Bridge Officer

Post by AFT » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:50 pm

Praeothmin wrote:I think a formal education will help you form precise reasoning, will allow you to express yourself in a clearer way.
Philosophy, for example, helps devellop your analytical mind.
Language classes help you use the right words to express yourself.
Math helps with understanding numbers, and how they relate toghether.
Sexual psychology... well, that's just for fun... :)

Does it mean that someone without a formal education cannot understands the same concepts as someone with, say a Bachelor's degree in physical engineering?
Nope, but what it does mean is that the person who read it by himself might have taken a little more time to fully understand it.
Facts are facts.

And a formal degree doesn't make someone the Ultimate authority on anything. After all, any body with an equivalent degree could argue in favor of the opposite view.
In fact, in the real world, they do all the time.
Political analysts argue on who has the best chance to win the next election.
Financial analysts argue on how the economy will be doing next year.
Medical Doctors argue on the best treatments for certain illnesses, etc, etc, etc...
I agree with you. A formal education helps a lot but if you don’t have enough knowledge in the topic you’re trying to discuss is next to useless. Anyone can provide a good argument regardless of their level of education. Ironically, some people that claim bachelor degrees or higher are often the ones with the worst grasp of logic, science, physics, etc. at least when applied to the vs. debate thing.

For the record I graduated from collage just a few days after I turned 21 and I don’t consider myself a good debater. On the other hand, Jedi Master Spock and Mike DiCenso are very good to express their arguments. I found their posts to be very interesting to say the least.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:27 am

Just in case anybody missed this (current results 0/2/7/8/1) for when I compare with the age poll.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:15 am

Another community has posted a similar poll. Although their choice of categories do not precisely correspond to the ones I've picked, I predict that the final results will be statistically indistinguishable to the degree that they are similarly honest.

Current results 1/2/7/8/1, meaning that roughly 20% of the registered members of this board have replied.

This poll and the age poll are ongoing "eternal" polls as currently set in the options. I am slightly curious to see how they will change over time.