ZPM power output

VS debates involving other fictional universes than Star Trek or Star Wars go here, along with technical analysis, detailed discussion, crossover scenario descriptions, and similar related stuffs.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

ZPM power output

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 am

That's a point I wish some of you will be able to clarify.

It's been a couple of times I've seen this Necronlord guy make claims about ZPM outputs which I find totally ridiculous.
What annoys me is that no one calls him on his rather very faulty logic, and no one tries to oppose his claims with evidence from the show, either because they don't care, or because they don't know enough Stargate stuff.
He limits his calculations based on anything that's relative to Atlantis taking off, and then even considers that the figures he finds are upper limits.

So first, let's start with a couple of threads of reference.

A comparison of power sources, on Gateworld.
Interesting thread. Despite the rather casual nature of the board, several members show a good understanding of the tech and its implications.
On the second page, I forward a rough speculation on how a ZPM works (continued here), in order to explain a couple of things, notably the different results due to ZPM overload, ranging from chained sub kiloton explosions (though the final one seen from Atlantis was slightly bigger), to planet busting abilities, if not more.

Here's a very recent thread from Murazor (the same can be found at Spacebattles.com), titled The Destruction Of Orilla commented (SG1 Unending Spoilers).

Five posts down, Necronlord intervenes and claims this:
ZPM upper limit power output is 8 Mt/second. In fact, it's about certain that a ha'tak's reactors can generate more power, simply because they can make a ha'tak, which is hardly small, considerably more voluminous and denser than Atlantis, lift off. You're thinking of the ZPM's potential explosive power, which is another kettle of fish entirely. ZPMs are impressive because of their small size (a power density far in advance of what everyone save the Ori and the Asuryans are using), long lifespan, lack of fuel requirements, and explosive power if destroyed.
Or... trying to make the ZPM still sound good, despite utterly nerfing the potential of such devices, and vastly ignoring the rest of the show.

One post later, he replies thusly:
The eight megatons/sec thing comes from those "Lifting Atlantis" calcs of yours. Could you give me a link, please? I have forgotten and I would like to read them again.
Sure thing. Though actually, the atlantis flight is about 6.7. 8Mt/sec came from someone's estimate of the wraith bombardment, I think.
Then comes the second and older SDN thread, titled Atlantis Scaling and Zero Point Module Output, (217 Spoiler).
Warning. This thread contains a single spoiler for Stargate Atlantis, Episode 17

It's my intent to calculate how much energy a Zero Point Module outputs (not the explosions involved) from the following information.
  1. The city of Atlantis is less dense than water. It even floats when all naquadah generators are deactivated.
  2. The city is incapable of flight with one, and probably with two, Zero Point Modules. This is shown in SGAS2E17, where McKay asserts that the city would still be incapable of flight with two functioning Zero Point Modules.

"We might even be able to light up the engines, and get the city to fly"
    "Really?"
    "No, but we still need it [a second ZPM]"

Because it is less dense than water, it is possible to estimate an upper limit for the city's mass from calculating or estimating (Do I look like I'm mad enough to try for an exact number? It's all pointy, and tower-y) its volume.

Atlantis Scaling

Image 1

This image shows the outside of the main tower. Highlighted is the balcony outside the control areas of Atlantis. The flat part of that is somewhat larger than the stargate. This can be seen in the interior set plans of the gateroom area presented on the gallery of scifi.com. This makes the red line approximately five meters across. The blue line appears to be equal to the red line.

Image 2

Here we see the tower from above. That section of it is 39.9 pixels (Sqr. Root of 1597pixels² [34²*21²]) across. The tower itself is, at its widest point, around 200 pixels across. This is 5 times 5 meters, or 25 meters across.

Now, the ratio of the width of the central tower to its height is 1:10.6 (15:160 pixels on an image I used as a basis) and the ratio of the width of the tower's wide point to the base of the city is approximately 1:36.3 (15:545) Therefore, the approximate height of Atlantis, aerials excluded, from sea level is 265 meters. The approximate diameter of the base is 908.3 meters. This is of course, quite small for a city, but one can only assume that the Ancient civilization's population was relatively low - such an emphasis on high quality, low volume seems to have doomed them to fail in their war against the Wraith, after all.

Now, SGAS2E13 shows a side-on schematic of the city, with a strange, giant spike structure emerging from its underside - possibly an anchor, as this does not appear to be visible in the opening minutes of Rising, when the city was on land.We'll ignore this though, as we can handily fit it into the space between the snowflake-piers.

Volume and Mass

1.7171e+8 m³

Density of Seawater Saay... 1030 Kg/m³ We'll assume that Atlantia's (hey, have to call it something) seawater is the same as Earth's. It's certainly unlikely to be much different, water is presumably the main constituent.

1.7171e+8*1030= 176,861,300,000 Kg. However, be aware that this is likely an order of magnitude or so beyond the actual volume of the city, as you can tell to look at it that it's not a cylinder. However, we want to make a generous upper limit...

Additionally, in the opening scene of Rising, when the main engines of the city engage, with a rather large flash, the velocity seems to change in one second from around 265 meters (one city-height) per second, to something around a kilometer five kilometers per second (four city-heights {no spike here, remember, so 265 meters}} This is a velocity change of approx 800 m/s/s. 56,595,616,000,000,000 Watts or (b]13.53 Mt per second[/b]. We know that 2 Zero Point Modules are incapable of achieving this energy output, however, this may be close to the output of two zero point modules, so I would conclude that the upper limit of sustained energy output of a ZPM is somwhat below, but close to 6.75 Mt/s. Going by the 8 Mt/s calc for the shields of Atlantis previously, I would say that the Atlantis shield is capable of drawing the energy of multiple ZPMs simultaneously. So, comments? Debunkings?

So let's see what's wrong with those claims.
  • First. I can't figure out how someone who seems fairly engaged into Stargate's technical side was still unaware, by 2006, of the existence of calcs putting the city at more than 3 km wide, instead of 900 meters wide. Calcs confirmed by secondary ones, from the episode Sunday, based on Rodney's height while standing on the edge of a pier.
    More, one year later, fully knowing where his calculations came from, he's still doesn't consider it necessary to revisit his own.
    The real volume of his cylinder should have been, at the very least, for a radius of 1.5 km, about 4,311,835,917.052 m³.
    Of course, we know that the real volume is nowhere this value, so with some form of luck, his too-small-cylinder based estimation might actually end being close to the real volume of Atlantis.
  • Secondly, let's remember that the Lantians use mass lighting technology, which they even put on their puddle jumpers.
    Seeing that they wouldn't use that tech if it did cost more than a simple newtonian push would, the fact is that the power consumption is going to be clearly lower than any non exotic estimation.
    It's therefore likely that we should be looking at a terawatt range.
  • Thirdly, I find it suspicious that from a website such as SDN, which is hardly known for parsimony when it comes to Star Wars, estimations for another show like Stargate end being particularily shy, and that those numbers are estimated the undisputed be and end all of upper limits, even one year later!
    Funny thing, considering the vast amount of notes you can find in Stargate which really point to much much higher power levels, and how simple observation, as you'll see, is enough to see that his calculations should have been followed, at the very least, by a reflexion on how this fits with the vast rest of Stargate's lore.
And it's precisely what I'm going to do here.
  • In McKay & Mrs Miller, I've estimated that the maximum power output they got from the ZPM was 2% per second when they tried to stabilize the transuniverse rift (they previously had the ZPE generator work at 5%, but this is irrelevant to how much the ZPM was outputting later on, since 1% of this generator could correspond to pretty much anything from the ZPM's output, orders of magnitude greater or smaller).
    So 50 seconds are required to deplete a ZPM at this rate.
    It is not easy to know if this the higher flux Atlantis' power conduits can handle, but we know that's at least how much power the man made trinity-like generator could accept from the ZPM, since Zelenka, monitoring the flux, says that "Power is at full".
  • If we consider that this is the maximum output from one ZPM, and possibly limited by the amount of energy the man-made generator could receive, it would mean that 2% = 6.75 Megatons.
    It's logical to make this claim, since they were maxing out their power reserves, in First Strike, to lift the damn city.
    So a full ZPM would only be able to provide 337.5 megatons of energy, before being totally depleted.
    Of course, the real figure is not necessarily exact, since it's highly dependant on very generous volumetrics, but we can safely assume that we're looking at numbers in the megaton range.

So. Does this not strike you out as just completely absurd?
    And that is, of course, if we don't say that the real maximum output, being 100%, is equal to 6.75 MT. Of course, we know that this can't be, since the ZPM would be depleted in one second, after trying to lift Atlantis.
    But even 6.75 MT per second, over 50 seconds, it just damn too just short of anything.
  • Let's use some common sense here. The Lantians dropped any major power source in favour of the ZPMs millions of years ago, and exclusively used them to power their city. Only independant structures or vessels were known to use other power sources of less importance.
    Let me ask you this simple question: do you think the Lantians would use power sources which can't ouput more than 337.5 megatons of energy each, before being depleted, despite having a huge ship and lot of space to accomodate for other reactors?
  • What about the frequently bitchslapped Goa'uld, whose ha'taks have reactors which let them output, at the very least, hundreds of megatons for a single weapon salvo, and up to tens or hundreds of gigatons of energy total?
    What about the fact that the explosion of Apophis' supership, going critical, was an exoton affair?
    Or the fact that when Cronus' ha'tak crashed on Delmak, we could contemplate a 2 digits teraton level explosion?
    And what about the Tau'ri, whose crude missiles and mines reach the gigaton range with small amounts of raw naqahdah, an ore which the Alterans and Lantians have used at lenghts to create the stargates in the Milky Way?
    Or how the heavier Goa'uld bombs would pack even more energy than Tau'ri 1.2 GT mines?
  • Ask yourself why the Lantians would use ZPM with a high end power output of a very few megatons, lasting for only 50 seconds, when there's a vast pile of references that point out naqahdah based reactions leading to, at least, gigaton events, and how an isotope such as naqahdria, can reach near teraton levels.
  • It is not only a question of energy maximum, since this could not be estimated before McKay & Mrs Miller. But it's a question of power output, which could have been debunked much earlier.
    If a ZPM can only provide a few megatons of energy per second, could you tell me how it could actually withstand the constant bombardment of a Wraith armada composed of 10 hiveships and between 20 and 30 cruisers?
    For the record, Misbegotten has shown that a damaged hiveships, piloted by Teyla, with the help of McKay, and at best, only able to provide 50% of its normal power output, still achieved this low end level of damage on the surface of a world.
  • Or look at this montage (don't pay attention to the radius figures, I think they're too high since I didn't know, back then, that it was a composition of several blasts). Yet, they're still quite impressive.
    Now put that on Atlantis shield. Even when strictly speaking of direct energy transfer weapon, you realize that this Necronlord's figures can't work.

Even more when you consider the ZPM's derivated upper energy limit (337.5 MT), since the already drained ZPM, by the time of Siege part III, was said to be under incredible strain, and would be depleted within days.
    Even with a total of one megaton of energy per second hitting the shield, after two days, the ZPM would have delivered 172,800 megatons of energy, and 518,400 megatons after 6 days.
    Doesn't add up, does it?
    This is, above all, a very, very low end, for the reasons provided below:
  • There's the simple fact that in Critical Mass, the expedition's single ZPM, which wasn't even near full, was said to be able to destroy the planet in its entirety after overloading.
    The meaning of overloading can't be simpler: the ZPM generates too much energy, and can't dump it. Energy accumulates, and an explosion ensues.
    Should we even mention Carter's estimation of a half full ZPM overloading being able to bust our star system?
    As introduced above, based on such levels of energy, it would mean that the weapons the Wraith used against the shield were, much like the Asuran beam, meant to weaken it and drain any power source directly tied to it, such as a ZPM, and were, as such, much more exotic in nature, than other "energy" weapons that would act like nukes once impacting upon the ground of planets.
    Based on these estimations, themselves derived from a planet busting ZPM, and not a star system busting ZPM, we end with a draining rate of 385.5 petatons per second.
    This article I link to also highlights the different looking weapons the Wraith have used against their enemies. The "Falling Stars" are the shield draining weapons, but excessively weak against matter.
    The "Fireballs" are much more like your SF DET weapon, and act like nukes, with yields which I have estimated being in the gigaton range.
  • Ah, of course, remember that even a crippled hiveship can withstand many direct hits from another fully powered and shiny hiveship. Which speaks well of the armour they use.
    And of course, those same hiveships will often end entirely vaporized by the sheer energy released from internal explosions (triggered by a single nuke exploding within, but clearly not doing most of the damage, even if it dooms such ships).
  • What about the idea that Rodney claimed that 3 ZPMs were absolutely necessary to lift the city and take it into space?
    Well, obviously, the writers, probably realizing that they put themselves into a hole, tried to retcon this "fact", by the end of season 3. There, in First Strike, we see that now only one ZPM, helped with some geothermal energy harvesting, is enough to get that city fly.

Think about it. What about the frakin' fact that the Wraith can lift their 11 km long hiveships out of craters, including all the soil and trees that's on them?
    But then, I suppose that the Wraith have power sources which are billions of times better than ZPMs, right?
    That's it. The simple fact that the writers thought that Atlantis couldn't be lifed without ZPMs, while the Wraith have nothing close to that, and yet manage to take their behemoths off the ground, just proves that they didn't think much about this.
    So we're left trying to find solutions.
  • So what are the explanations? Why did Rodney think that many ZPMs were needed? Why does it seem that even one single ZPM can't even lift a cityship?

- Severe misunderstanding of the mechanics of the city's stardrive. Weird, because they're essentially big thrusters. But hey, shouldn't it be time that Rodney doesn't understand at least something about Lantian tech? You know... for the sake of, huh, realism...

- Mass lighting system badly calibrated, and making the city absurdly heavier from the moment the stardrive is activated, instead of making it lighter. Of course, it would mean that we're talking about a level of "efficient mass" that would likely have all sorts of side effects on gravity all around the city. So that is far fetched.

- Stardrive controls badly calibrated, and blocked, for some reason, at accepting an absurdly low power.
    Say that the system is made to work with 3 ZPMs. Not that it requires them, but it's like a safecheck, a sort of dumb prerequisite, and if the city doesn't detect 3 ZPMs, it refuses to let the ZPMs directly power the stardrives, so the energy circuit is derivated and goes through a smaller power grid which only accepts an extremely low energy flux (a couple of megatons or kilotons per second at best).
    This would tie into the idea that the city is, for some reason, better suited to work with 3 ZPMs in parallel, and may even explain why it seems that lifting the city out of the "rules" shakes it like if it was going to collapse within the next minute.

- In First Strike, maybe the Asuran virus did do some damage after all, which somehow messed up with the controls. It would be logical, since they probably wanted to nail the city and prevent it from escaping.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:53 pm

I've actually been a wee bit annoyed by it myself. I thought about posting in the thread, but what's the point?

In any case, i did a similar lower-limit calc based on the exact same premise here. I acknowledged the problems with assuming it's correct though and Oragahn pointed out a few more things.

Did another calc here. I've since then come to realize that the mass i used is rediculously low. One could use the mass for ocean water in relation to mass there. Even puddle-jumpers sink, indicating a higher weight per unit of volume then water, and warships would be expected to have more armor and what-not.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:56 pm

l33telboi wrote:I've actually been a wee bit annoyed by it myself. I thought about posting in the thread, but what's the point?

In any case, i did a similar lower-limit calc based on the exact same premise here. I acknowledged the problems with assuming it's correct though and Oragahn pointed out a few more things.

Did another calc here. I've since then come to realize that the mass i used is rediculously low. One could use the mass for ocean water in relation to mass there. Even puddle-jumpers sink, indicating a higher weight per unit of volume then water, and warships would be expected to have more armor and what-not.
I remember the Tria calculations.
The first time I heard about calcs, I knew it was only a question of time before one would mention mass lighting, which would mean that the numbers one would got would not need to be that high.

Of course, that's putting the facts out of context.
Let's remember that the ship was caught in a surprise attack, and didn't even contain spare parts to repair the hyperdrive.
So first, can we be that sure that all other systems, like mass lighting, if it was present (likely), would be undamaged and still working?

More. Considering that the ship was damaged, then let's think about what it means to force it through such speeds and accelerations.

Yes, magically, what seemed like an overestimation of the ship's abilities, suddenly turns into a rather admirable demonstration of what an handicaped ship could achieve, and one could easily consider that if structural integrity was in trouble (it would at some point, since key parts were damaged), the abilities of the ship would be limited here.

Yes, once again, people were trying to establish reliable figures from a previously damaged ship - we're yet to see a single lantian warship in good shape -, and some, maybe not pleased with the conclusions, claimed figures to be absolutely high ends, eventually unreliabl, instead of realizing that there much more chances that they would actually be low ends.

Besides, we don't know if Aurora warships, or the Tria, had power conduits as good as on Atlantis, and systems able to withstand great power flows.
Which would, again, turn out to establish those figures as low ends to determine the power and energy of a ZPM.

As for the weight of the city, let's remember that puddle jumper was, first, able to sink down and lie on the seabed. I can't know how deep they were. Obviously, a sort of giant whale could still survive without being crushed, but let's remember the lantian geothermal plant on catterpillars, lying on the seabed where the crust was remarkably thin (Submersion). The station's structural integrity was perfectly fine, and even the transparent material they used for the spotlights could withstand the pressure here.
Of course, the station would be obviously made to withstand those forces, and I suspect this station to be sturdier than the city, which was said to be remarkably fragile. Parts of the city were collapsing and taking water, as hull-hugging shield sections were failing.

On the other hand, it's not sure that taking the water density was lowering the figure, since it was a sort of anchor which kept the city close to the seabed in Rising, apparently. So the city was quite light, I think.

All in all, it is totally unreliable to figure out the power of a ZPM from calculations of the energy necessary to lift Atlantis.

As I said, all Earth, and eventually the Asgards, needed to do was simply bring a big ass reactor there, and easily provide the necessary power.
I mean, come one, a single 1.2 GT mine has enough total energy to lift that city. Of course, it's a bomb, not a reactor, but let's not loose the simple point: it takes litle to get access to enormous levels of energy in Stargate.
If the Goa'uld can stabilize naqahdah reactions and pull power out of refined variant, as since the humans have managed this since a few years, don't tell me they couldn't bring a single heavy naqahdah generator to Atlantis to pull out megatons out of this reactor and say goodbye to that planet.
Once in space, moving the city around would be even easier.

Well, of course, that's another kind of plot hole that doesn't seem to help us much, in fact. Their ability, or lack of, to bring such a generator, doesn't explain why McKay and co really thought it was necessary to have so many ZPMs, especially since they talked about power.

That's why I think that the city limiting the systems on purpose, from the moment it doesn't detect 3 ZPMs, is one of the best explanations, even if like any explanation made to explain a huge plothole, it's not stars and wonders.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:The first time I heard about calcs, I knew it was only a question of time before one would mention mass lighting, which would mean that the numbers one would got would not need to be that high.
The way i see it mass-lightening (notice the spelling ;) ) is a non-issue when it comes to power production and the reason why i think so is two-fold.

For one, the power channeled to the mass-lightening field would have to be at least equal to the power required to accelerate the ship without the field. Why? Because otherwise you could create a machine that requires less power then it produces. This of course would not only be breach of CoE, but we've never seen any indication of this being possible within the verse itself.

The second reason is because we've observed a puddle-jumper under normal flight to actually have a density higher then ocean water. So if there was mass-lightening involved, it would not have made the jumper lighter then this. In "Grace Under Pressure" McKay also tries to access the inertial dampeners when the puddle-jumper is sinking. He doesn't even consider boosting it to the point where the jumper would stop sinking, indicating it can't be done.
All in all, it is totally unreliable to figure out the power of a ZPM from calculations of the energy necessary to lift Atlantis.
I agree. The biggest things to suggest this would be the fact that races like the Goa'uld, the Wraith and pretty much everyone else seems to have power sources capable of doing this feat. It wouldn't stand to reason that the Ancients couldn't do the same. Especially since the ZPMs are refered to as the ultimate power-source.

However, the reason i made the calculation was simply to show that the supposed upper-limit was indeed ridiculous. If you used plausible figures and re-do the calculation, and instead of making an arbitrary assumption on how much volume Atlantis has actually do a calc to figure it out, you'll notice that even the lower-limit comes out several orders of a magnitude higher.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:29 pm

l33telboi wrote:The way i see it mass-lightening (notice the spelling ;) )
That's the crap. As a non native english speaker, I'm never sure of the spelling of words. I've been using mass lightening for quite some time, and it's only very recently that, after reading someone write it mass lighting, I wondered if that wasn't another of those weird shortcuts english is so fond of.
... is a non-issue when it comes to power production and the reason why i think so is two-fold.

For one, the power channeled to the mass-lightening field would have to be at least equal to the power required to accelerate the ship without the field. Why? Because otherwise you could create a machine that requires less power then it produces. This of course would not only be breach of CoE, but we've never seen any indication of this being possible within the verse itself.
I think all shields break that rule. Even the wearable lantian shield (green crystal) completely negated the momentum imparted by Grodin's punch on Mckay.

Besides, one need not breach the rule.

For example, within the formula "E= ½ m v²", if you keep E and change the mass, by reducing it, you will increase the speed.

That is a good explanation as to how the ship disabled in Space Race slowed down, for example. While I consider it possible that the final fastlane might have invisible dampening fields to slow down ships flying out of control (that would make sense), a ship that would be disabled, and see its mass lightening system go down, would suddenly retrieve all of its real mass, and suddenly loose its speed, despite not loosing kinetic energy.
The second reason is because we've observed a puddle-jumper under normal flight to actually have a density higher then ocean water. So if there was mass-lightening involved, it would not have made the jumper lighter then this. In "Grace Under Pressure" McKay also tries to access the inertial dampeners when the puddle-jumper is sinking. He doesn't even consider boosting it to the point where the jumper would stop sinking, indicating it can't be done.
1. This is a good point you mention, showing that apparently, though the tech exists on puddle jumpers, it is not activated.
2. The only known activation apparatus was on the console, in the pilot room, which McKay was separated from. Though we could suspect that he could have accessed the system by plugging into the control panels, in the rear section of the gateship, it's also possible that such a system can't be accessed that way.

I agree. The biggest things to suggest this would be the fact that races like the Goa'uld, the Wraith and pretty much everyone else seems to have power sources capable of doing this feat. It wouldn't stand to reason that the Ancients couldn't do the same. Especially since the ZPMs are refered to as the ultimate power-source.

However, the reason i made the calculation was simply to show that the supposed upper-limit was indeed ridiculous. If you used plausible figures and re-do the calculation, and instead of making an arbitrary assumption on how much volume Atlantis has actually do a calc to figure it out, you'll notice that even the lower-limit comes out several orders of a magnitude higher.
The problem is that I don't see proof that Atlantis will naturally sink. It would actually come as logical to make a spaceship as light as possible.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:06 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:That's the crap. As a non native english speaker, I'm never sure of the spelling of words. I've been using mass lightening for quite some time, and it's only very recently that, after reading someone write it mass lighting, I wondered if that wasn't another of those weird shortcuts english is so fond of.
I'm a non native english speaker myself, so i'm not 100% sure. But mass-lighting would in my mind have something to do with light, not density or how light something is.

Not sure though.
I think all shields break that rule. Even the wearable lantian shield (green crystal) completely negated the momentum imparted by Grodin's punch on Mckay.
Conservation of Energy, not Conservation of Momentum.

I know shields negate CoM, that's quite obvious. Remember "The Storm", where Atlantis got hit by a huge tsunami? It didn't so much as budge. That's pretty solid proof that CoM can be negated by the shields.

But that doesn't mean it can negate CoE. In essence, the way i see it, is that the shield system must somehow counter momentum with energy, or turn energy into momentum and vice versa. For instance, projecting a force equal to that of the incoming momentum against it, thus negating any visual impact that incoming momentum would have on the target.

The Goa'uld ships use this method to propell themselves forward for instance. They turn energy into vectored momentum.
For example, within the formula "E= ½ m v²", if you keep E and change the mass, by reducing it, you will increase the speed.
But what happens when the object stands still, yet gains mass? This happens in "The Storm", a puddle-jumper sits still on the ground and is then made heavier. This means that it will actually interact with the environment, exerting a force on the ground for instance, which is now higher then it previously was. Simply changing the mass variable in the kinetic formula wouldn't make this possible.

And the energy has to come from somwhere. You can't just up the kinetic energy exterted by the PJ on the surface of the ground, without actually taking that energy from somewhere.
That is a good explanation as to how the ship disabled in Space Race slowed down, for example.
There are actually a few instances just like this, where a ship that loses power slows down. This is something i've yet to find an explanation for, except of course authors not realizing how space works (or just don't care).
2. The only known activation apparatus was on the console, in the pilot room, which McKay was separated from. Though we could suspect that he could have accessed the system by plugging into the control panels, in the rear section of the gateship, it's also possible that such a system can't be accessed that way.
Actually, that is exactly how he manages to fiddle around with the forward controls in the episode. The mass-lightening field is also directly tied into the inertial dampening field IIRC. Two aspects of one technology.
The problem is that I don't see proof that Atlantis will naturally sink. It would actually come as logical to make a spaceship as light as possible.
The calculation doesn't assume Atlantis will sink. It simply takes into account how much water mass it displaces when it sits on the surface. Bouyancy says that the city must weight at least as much as the water mass it displaces. So this is how i calculated the mass of the city.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:20 pm

I'm a non native english speaker myself, so i'm not 100% sure. But mass-lighting would in my mind have something to do with light, not density or how light something is.

Not sure though.
Mass lightening sounded better anyway. It just hate it when I doubt my former acquisitions because of new internet oddities and proably bad spelling. :)
Conservation of Energy, not Conservation of Momentum.

I know shields negate CoM, that's quite obvious. Remember "The Storm", where Atlantis got hit by a huge tsunami? It didn't so much as budge. That's pretty solid proof that CoM can be negated by the shields.

But that doesn't mean it can negate CoE. In essence, the way i see it, is that the shield system must somehow counter momentum with energy, or turn energy into momentum and vice versa. For instance, projecting a force equal to that of the incoming momentum against it, thus negating any visual impact that incoming momentum would have on the target.

The Goa'uld ships use this method to propell themselves forward for instance. They turn energy into vectored momentum.
Thinking of which; since a shield is not connected to the ship as a volume, but seems to be solely connected to the shield generators, could it be possible, somehow, that the shield generators actually come with a counter momentum, and only let a small percentage pass through. So, since the generators is logically built within the ship's superstructure, if the generator moves, the ship will be affected by the move, thus the quakes.
Yes, it would mean that many shield generators in stargate actually come with some sort of ethereal drives as well.

The opposition of forces has to be made on a single point, because if the ship only counted on its by default engines, it would tear itself apart by havign them pushing in an opposite direction to which the shield generator(s) are moving to.
But what happens when the object stands still, yet gains mass? This happens in "The Storm", a puddle-jumper sits still on the ground and is then made heavier. This means that it will actually interact with the environment, exerting a force on the ground for instance, which is now higher then it previously was. Simply changing the mass variable in the kinetic formula wouldn't make this possible.
Mh, well, considering that the force is mass multiplied by acceleration, I think the gain would be found everywhere where mass is concerned. Notably pressure against the ground.

And the energy has to come from somwhere. You can't just up the kinetic energy exterted by the PJ on the surface of the ground, without actually taking that energy from somewhere.
I think the point is to get more bang for the buck here. The kinetic energy stays the same, so if the mass is reduced, it has to be compensated with an increase in speed squared.

Of course, there are two ways mass lightening can be interesting:

- it uses less energy to use mass lightening, coupled to drives, than simply using pure "raw" newtonian drives. But this is ought to pose problems regarding the CoE.

or

- materials, systems and structures can withstand only a certain amount of stress, energy flows and heat, so by reducing mass, you can work at energy levels which don't need to be as great as if you only use pure thrust straight out of ion engines, and nothing else.
Trouble is, why would a civilisation which can be build power conduits, able to drain a ZPM within 50 seconds, would be worried about systems failing at high powers? Possibly because the piower conduits are sturdy, while the other machines are much more fragile.
There are actually a few instances just like this, where a ship that loses power slows down. This is something i've yet to find an explanation for, except of course authors not realizing how space works (or just don't care).
This is where mass lightening works. The ship seem to totally stop, but they do not. They only apply a very low thrust, but thanks to a lightened global mass, they don't need to apply large amounts of energy. So the ship has, in fact, an extremely low KE.
However, once the mass lightening field is switched off (and apparently this can be done quickly without causing tidal hazard), mass suddenly increases, and still the kientic energy is still the same, the speed has to decrease, up to the point where the ship literally brakes in space.

Very weird.

This could be accompagnated by a safety solution where, as far as the Goa'uld are concerned, their drives could try to compensate with a "counter push" with the bits of juice left, before all systems are switched off.
I suppose, somehow, that it is better to put your ship to a still (though in space, well, it's just relative) than having it drift while you can't control the drives anymore. Because then, god knows where you're going. If there's an asteroid, a moon or a planet on your path, I think you'd be happy to actually find your ship trying to delay the moment it will crash into the obstacle. :)
Actually, that is exactly how he manages to fiddle around with the forward controls in the episode. The mass-lightening field is also directly tied into the inertial dampening field IIRC. Two aspects of one technology.
So he could access everything from the circuitry in the aft-section of the gateship?
Well, I suppose then that the system was so complex that he simply didn't take a chance fiddling with it.
If he made a mistake, and made the ship too light, too fast, it could have destroyed due to the water pressure I suppose.

Besides, stop talking about average episodes! :D
The calculation doesn't assume Atlantis will sink. It simply takes into account how much water mass it displaces when it sits on the surface. Bouyancy says that the city must weight at least as much as the water mass it displaces. So this is how i calculated the mass of the city.
I'm sorry, I don't properly understand your calc. You only measured the volume of the structure that was underwater, right, and assumed that the associated mass figure you'd get would then be the city's whole mass?