Sovereign class vs Galaxy class vs D'Deridex class

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Picard
Starship Captain

Sovereign class vs Galaxy class vs D'Deridex class

Post by Picard » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Which of these shipy would beat others at one-against-one STL combat?

1) Sovereign class vs Galaxy class

2) Galaxy class vs D'Deridex class

3) Sovereign class vs D'Deridex class

Also, how would each of these fare against Dominion battlecruiser or Dominion battleship?

EDIT: GCS take both pre-DW and DW versions.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Sovereign class vs Galaxy class vs D'Deridex class

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 pm

Is this a three-way battle?
-Mike

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:13 am

Let me think.

The few times we saw D'Deridexes square off against the E-D the never shot at each other. During the incident at Galornden Core in "The Defector" the E-D and three big BoPs faced down a pair of warbirds, with both sides assuring the other that "you will not survive our attack." The problem here is we have no idea the strength of those BoPs given the scaling issues the class has. Those ones are quite large.

Then we have "Data's Day," where the E-D confront a warbird over Ambassador T'Pel actually being a Romulan spy. The E-D is forced to retreat after a second warbird decloaks and a third is detected on approach.

The only time, AFAIR, we saw a warbird actually fire on the E-D comes from "Timescape," though the E-D was unshielded at the time and the warbird's fire was the result of alien interference.

We see warbirds fight alongside Galaxies in "Tears of the Prophets." One of the first ships destroyed/disabled is a warbird, though that would seem to have more to do with its bridge being destroyed. The USS Galaxy takes similar fire, but to the underside of the saucer and the engineering section.

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/ ... ts_493.jpg

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/ ... ts_499.jpg

Simply put, most of DS9 and TNG where the two are together imply a rough firepower parity, which would put the Sovereign well above the D'Deridex. The Sovereign's counterpart seems to be the Valdore from Nemesis, and both of these newer warbids succumbed to the Scimitar rather quickly, though it should be noted that Shinzon was explicitly trying not to destroy the E-E since he wanted Picard alive. Donatra and her ships were merely in his way, and he spared no power in disabling them.

As for the Dominion vessels, several seconds of sustained fire from two BoPs and the Defiant were sufficient to destroy a battlecruiser in "Sacrifice of Angels." The Defiant is supposed to have more firepower than the Galaxy, although to what extent hasn't been stated on screen. I'd consider the battlecruiser to be the rough equal of a Galaxy. The battleship, however, is stated by Jake Sisko in "Valiant" to be twice the size of the Galaxy and three times the strength. Whatever the upgrades to the DW variant are (and there appear to be several, from the dark-neck in "Favor the Bold" to the Venture with extra phasers on the nacelles) I doubt that they triple its firepower.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:20 am

Picard wrote:
1) Sovereign class vs Galaxy class
a Sovie should gut a galaxy class, they were fantastically tough and had an arsenal that would make a klingon blush

pre DW massacre post DW much closer fight
Picard wrote:2) Galaxy class vs D'Deridex class
I think the D'Deridex had the fire power edge if i recall and was larger but Federation ships are always tough bastards

pre DW close brawl unless Nacelles are targeted if not it wins with bruises

[
Picard wrote:]3) Sovereign class vs D'Deridex class
massacre The Neg'var might be a match or even beat a Sovie though considering it made short change of Ds9
Picard wrote:Also, how would each of these fare against Dominion battlecruiser or Dominion battleship?
badly A Sovereign should be able to win easily though

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:04 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Is this a three-way battle?
-Mike
I said one-at-one, so no.

Now, as far as I know Sovereign has much larger power core, giving it maybe even double maximum power output of Galaxy class. However, we don't exactly know how powerful Quantum torpedoes are versus shields compared to photon torpedoes, althought they would be far superior in that regard.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Yeah, it seems from the shows, Galaxys and D'Deridex warbirds are roughly equal. Although the Galaxy is faster.

Soveriegns should be able to handle them pretty easily.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:14 pm

That I think depends on if we are talking an early model Galaxy-class starship, or one of the kick-ass Dominion War Galaxy class.
-Mike

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:06 am

Not going to argue with you there, Mike. I think it's safe to say the the Warbirds probably had some upgrades similar to the Galaxy during their survice life. So I definitely prefer the big G, I still think it would be a close match up between Dominion War heigth ships.

Jasonb
Jedi Knight

Post by Jasonb » Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Well idea USS Enterprise D try stand up to single D'Deridex ship suggestion that more or less evenly match. The fact USS Enterprise D fire 10 photon torpedoes at once it not surprise me if more first shot first kill. Both ship destory each other number minute however go Dominion war Galaxy class starship with fact we saw one fire Quantum torpedoes during Tear of prophets. Dominon war verse of Galaxy class starship us D'Deridex class starship for target practice. Sovereign class starship and Galaxy class starship like first shot first kill.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed May 09, 2012 3:12 am

well mojo like speak english make sense can read. jasonb speak random words thrown together make sense not really. jasonb make argument mojo head asplodey try read. help please someone teach write regular in words make sentence.
Jasonb wrote:Well idea USS Enterprise D try stand up to single D'Deridex ship suggestion that more or less evenly match.

well idea no uss enterprise d stand not D'Deridex single has because no legs. rainbow fire thursday.
Jasonb wrote:The fact USS Enterprise D fire 10 photon torpedoes at once it not surprise me if more first shot first kill.

no. uss enterprise missile torpedoes strike D'Deridex pudding shield fall on head. corn missiles enterprise spanking birthday crop.
Jasonb wrote:Both ship destory each other number minute however go Dominion war Galaxy class starship with fact we saw one fire Quantum torpedoes during Tear of prophets.

all ship destory opopsic entire starship camouflage rings. quantum torpedoes poke prophet eye make tear cry water.
Jasonb wrote:Dominon war verse of Galaxy class starship us D'Deridex class starship for target practice.
dominion war butterfly antifreeze wormhole deep 9 space station move make sleep all station not move.
Jasonb wrote:Sovereign class starship and Galaxy class starship like first shot first kill.
sovereign galaxy starship cheese rotten expire. first bite first kill stomach pump ambulance. never hallelujah meatball pancake fashion pancake kitten spin dizzy.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed May 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:
Picard wrote:3) Sovereign class vs D'Deridex class
massacre The Neg'var might be a match or even beat a Sovie though considering it made short change of Ds9
I'm not so sure, considering that Sovereign is essentially a warship, as opposed to Galaxy class which is explorer/diplomatic cruiser. And I beleive that Galaxy class was a match for Vor'cha. Negh'var did not make a "short change" of Ds9, it only jumped in late in the fight and had support of several ships.

I'd say that ship relations are like this:

Sovereign = Negh'var >= Valdore > D'deridex >= Galaxy >= Vor'cha >= Akira.

Jasonb
Jedi Knight

Post by Jasonb » Wed May 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Picard wrote:
Admiral Breetai wrote:
Picard wrote:3) Sovereign class vs D'Deridex class
I'm not so sure, considering that Sovereign is essentially a warship, as opposed to Galaxy class which is explorer/diplomatic cruiser. And I beleive that Galaxy class was a match for Vor'cha. Negh'var did not make a "short change" of Ds9, it only jumped in late in the fight and had support of several ships.

I'd say that ship relations are like this:

Sovereign = Negh'var >= Valdore > D'deridex >= Galaxy >= Vor'cha >= Akira.
Sovereign class starship heavy armed if warship not depend what call warship.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Thu May 10, 2012 4:33 am

Warship if heavy armed is cadilac. Not heavy armed if warship uss enterprise is autobot.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 am

Sideswipe wrote:Warship if heavy armed is cadilac. Not heavy armed if warship uss enterprise is autobot.
Sure.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 am

i hate transformers.