Smilies

For technical issues, problems, bugs, suggestions on improving these forums, discussion of the rules, etc.
Socar
Bridge Officer

Smilies

Post by Socar » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:20 am

I think smilies should be enabled. Thanks.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:42 am

Really? Why?

I actually like not having lots of little irritating brightly colored GIFs sprinkled around as graphic emoticons, but I'll take it under consideration.

The way I see it, here are our options:
  • No smilies, for impersonal and professional discourse.
  • Regular smilies, for that comforting BBCode/IM/netchatter feel we've all gotten used to.
  • Custom smilies or a particular list of smilies, developing a distinctive feel to the Starfleet Jedi boards.
  • Every conceivable smilie, for the sake of kitsch, clutter, and personal expression.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:46 am

Oh, I perfectly understand your concern. I remember back during my days on EZBoard how people would get totally carried away with it (along with every other conceivable thing, sigs, avatars, font color, etc). But that was mainly due to a negligence in moderation, and I don't really see that happening here.

I don't really think the use of smilies lowers the professional feel of the board at all, and in fact, they can be useful (when used appropriately) for lightening the mood when tensions get a little high from heated debates.

As for the options, I would think either option two or three would be fine. The main point is just to make sure that rules regarding the use of them are clear. But if you find them annoying altogether, that's completely understandable.

Grandtheftcow
Candidate

Post by Grandtheftcow » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:30 pm

Well if need be we can just use off site images as smiles or just use old school text.

:) ;) :P :? :D (.)(.)

Code: Select all

(__)                      
             (oo)                      
      /-------\/     
    /  |      ||    
  *    ||-----||
       ~~     ~~