Curtis Saxton Is An Interesting Fellow!

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Quack Doctor Saxton
Welcome the new member!

Curtis Saxton Is An Interesting Fellow!

Post by Quack Doctor Saxton » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Trinoya
Security Officer

Re: Curtis Saxton Is An Interesting Fellow!

Post by Trinoya » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:31 pm

Ah... gotta love people flirting with full Nazism... Curtis has always been a bit scummy, but that's a whole new level.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:20 am

Um... wow. I've actually been in conversations with Saxton on Facebook, and don't ever remember him saying stuff like this. O_o

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:00 am

I recall a thread on SDN of folks going to town on Saxton for posts such as those.

Thing is, he's not really wrong in his analysis of the impact of illegal immigration until he goes all ethno-nationalist, which is a completely unnecessary addition . . . seriously, that's on par with dissing a Yugo as an underpowered, unsafe, and unreliable deathtrap then tacking on a complaint about female drivers. What the hell, man?

He'd be wise to rethink his views without that hideous baggage attached.

Quack Doctor Saxton
Welcome the new member!

Post by Quack Doctor Saxton » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 am

2046 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:00 am
I recall a thread on SDN of folks going to town on Saxton for posts such as those.

Thing is, he's not really wrong in his analysis of the impact of illegal immigration until he goes all ethno-nationalist, which is a completely unnecessary addition . . . seriously, that's on par with dissing a Yugo as an underpowered, unsafe, and unreliable deathtrap then tacking on a complaint about female drivers. What the hell, man?

He'd be wise to rethink his views without that hideous baggage attached.
I wouldn't have posted it if he was just a bog standard right winger, but he went all out Stormfront with the "breeding" type of rhetoric.

Kinda surprising someone intelligent as he is can have such views...though being intelligent doesn't mean you can't be an asshole. HP Lovecraft was a virulent racist as a random example.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Quack Doctor Saxton wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 am
Kinda surprising someone intelligent as he is can have such views...though being intelligent doesn't mean you can't be an asshole.
Intelligence doesn't mean you get everything right or are above having dumbass ideas stuck in your craw. If anything, having too high an opinion of one's own intellect and/or moral rectitude makes one *less* inclined to examine one's own beliefs and their underlying premises in pursuit of any bullshit which may be hiding there.

Polarization also contributes to this . . . be it in the form of things that are often "team sports" like Trek vs. Wars or left versus right . . . by making it easier to automatically apply observations like the one from my first paragraph above to opponents, but not oneself.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:11 am

2046 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 pm
Intelligence doesn't mean you get everything right or are above having dumbass ideas stuck in your craw. If anything, having too high an opinion of one's own intellect and/or moral rectitude makes one *less* inclined to examine one's own beliefs and their underlying premises in pursuit of any bullshit which may be hiding there.

Polarization also contributes to this . . . be it in the form of things that are often "team sports" like Trek vs. Wars or left versus right . . . by making it easier to automatically apply observations like the one from my first paragraph above to opponents, but not oneself.
I remember something along these lines before, a study or something about a problem with people of higher intelligence being better able to come up with justifications for bad arguments to defend them and keep them in play. Speaking for myself, a fear I have whenever I'm about to engage in any kind of debate is that I may do a valid argument a disservice by being a dumbass and arguing the point poorly. Which is another telling thing in itself, that my first inclination is that I'll somehow automatically be on the correct side of an argument, but fail because I'm outperformed by someone more clever than myself. Human nature is a heckuva thing to work with, it pays to perform regular self checks. Of course a healthy dose of C.Y.A. is still good too, as some people are pretty cunning!

Speaking of checks though, seeing the recent post about Space Battles, noting the newness of OP's account and remembering the time "Chris-Chan" posted here... I can't seem to find whatever social media account Saxton posted this to. It sounds like people have seen him say stuff like this before, but is there any kind of actual link to this?

Picard578
Padawan

Post by Picard578 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Well, he is not wrong. Capitalists push for open borders and free trade precisely because it allows them to increase competition for jobs and thus bring down wages. End result is, you cannot have democracy without nationalism, because otherwise you end up with a bunch of uprooted people with no allegiance and no interest.