TCW Story Reels

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Jedi Knight

TCW Story Reels

Post by 359 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:48 am

Among several Clone Wars related announcements was the release of four story reals covering an Anakin/Obi-Wan arc on Utapau. The animation is rough and unfinished, but the rest is mostly there (if also unfinished). The arc centers around the death of a jedi investigating a weapons deal involving the separatists. The deal turns out to be for a massive Kyber crystal.

Technical notes of interest include, but probably aren't limited to:

1)A known but uncommon weapon is a precision laser dart. It pretty much looks like a blaster.
2)Jedi must use a hand (or something at least) to lift something with the force.
3)A Kyber crystal (at least at that scale) absorbs and amplifies weapon energy. (Similar to naquadah from Star Gate.)
4)The explosion resulting from the overheating of said crystal has a rather familiar planar shockwave.
5)Kyber crystals of such magnitude were used to power super weapons of unthinkable power during the Sith-Jedi wars.
Last and least, 6)Anakin is a showoff with a blaster.

And an interesting question for the local canon gurus: how useful is this information canon wise?

Starship Captain

Re: TCW Story Reels

Post by 2046 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:56 am

As far as canon goes, I was probably going to include the storyline and the most basic visual bits.

For instance, they were all a-twitter over the long-range shot and how it had to have been a droid that fired it with a precision weapon, but it wasn't a very far shot in the grand scheme.

The crystal is too large for easy Force grab maneuvers, but we don't know the density. The fact that it is described as a source of energy is interesting, though.

And since I can't use strikethrough on this next part, I'm going to just quote it . . . it's what I wrote after only seeing the first three:
As far as the crystal getting hit by a tank round and doing weird stuff, I didn't see it as planar, but more of a bunch of rays coming off of it after an initial electrozappy arc effect. Some rays went up, some went down. Some of the rays did damage to things, but others . . . like the rays going down through the antigrav unit carrying the device . . . did not.

I don't know how much stock to put in the effects, there. For instance, a guy hit with a ray up and disappears. What would that have looked like in the final episode? Who knows. Maybe they just didn't animate him being blown off the vehicle, or maybe he was to be vaporized . . . it isn't clear because we have no basis of comparison. I wouldn't use it to argue for material disappearance.
Right, so at that point, I had somehow missed that there was a fourth episode. Holy crap . . . that would've sucked to never know of it.

As a public service:

1. http://www.starwars.com/video/star-wars ... -on-utapau
2. http://www.starwars.com/video/star-wars ... he-crystal
3. http://www.starwars.com/video/star-wars ... tal-crisis
4. http://www.starwars.com/video/star-wars ... e-big-bang

The Big Bang, indeed. A veritable birthday present.

Basically, the only hope for SDN is to claim that this isn't canon, because here's what we've got:

1. These crystals are a source of energy . . . with input comes far greater output.

This, incidentally, was deduced in the episode by Obi-Wan by the fact that a blaster shot vaporized/POOC'ed something. Heh.

2. Yes, the final episode does show planar effects.

It is clear that we are to understand that this is related to the Death Star. Indeed, the Death Star may not be completely new to the universe, per Yoda . . . such crystals allowed for weapons of unimaginable power even long ago.

3. The single dude disappearance from the third episode gets a lot of friends in the fourth, and it is clear that the crystal basically does POOC-like action . . . vaping like a phaser.

Material disappearance, ahoy!

So basically, almost all of the strange Death Star effects get explained in one quick slash of a pen putting the last touch on the word "kyber crystal".

Material disappearance . . . wonky yield . . . the rings and other planar effects . . . the only thing I'm not sure I saw was secondary blast, but the way the ship blew up may very well qualify. I'll have to watch it again.

It's good that they released this, but part of me wants to curse Disney for killing off TCW before letting them finish the whole season. I'd have loved to see this in full regalia.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:17 pm

And just to make sure the point is clear, even if you are feeling charitable and grant your local inflationist's claim that the Death Star was a DET weapon, said inflationist still cannot have a reactor that generates energy commensurate with the yield, because of this crystal power amplification whatzit.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 pm

2046 wrote:And just to make sure the point is clear, even if you are feeling charitable and grant your local inflationist's claim that the Death Star was a DET weapon, said inflationist still cannot have a reactor that generates energy commensurate with the yield, because of this crystal power amplification whatzit.
Only if it's proved that the kirby crystal is used in the Death Star.

Why did Disney cancel TCW?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Thank you for anticipating the inflationist tack. Deny, deny, deny.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:27 pm

This isn't exactly ground breaking. Kyber Crystals have been used in magical weapons like lightsabers for a long time, and I think they are used in holocrons as well.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/lightsaber wrote: An essential rite of passage for young Jedi is the Gathering. In the Gathering, younglings go to the frigid ice world Ilum, where they search for kyber crystals to build their first lightsabers. The crystals are located in the planet’s Crystal Cave, an intimidating maze, and “call out” to the Jedi they are in tune with. Once the correct crystal has been found, younglings rendezvous with Huyang, and ancient droid who chooses the parts necessary to build a lightsaber. With everything in place, younglings complete the ritual by constructing their Jedi weapons through a graceful use of the Force.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/lightsaber-crystal wrote: KYBER CRYSTAL (LIGHTSABER CRYSTAL)

At the heart of every Jedi lighstaber is a kyber crystal harvested from the icebound caves of Ilum. This crystal is attuned to the Force, and connected to a Jedi Knight on a deeply personal level. In this way, a lightsaber is an extension of a Jedi's Force awareness. Because Jedi let the Force guide their selection of the crystal, the vibration that the crystal creates in the lightsaber blade helps Jedi center themselves and find balance in the Force. In this way, a Jedi can center his or her attention beyond the distractions of combat. A lightsaber crystal is colorless until first attuned and connected to a Jedi -- at which times it glows either blue or green, or in some rare instances, another shade. From that point on, it retains that hue.
If you can show similarities between the effects of a lightsaber and the Death Star's superlaser then you would have a reasonable case.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:42 am

Yes, kyber crystals themselves are nothing new. There was an earlier arc in the Clone Wars (TCW: "The gathering" etc... referenced in your quotes) involving the finding of kyber crystals for lightsabers.

What is unique about this arc is the size of the crystal, something like four or six meters in length. And that we here from Yoda that such crystals were used in the past to power great weapons of unimaginable power (think: Death Star). Furthermore the destruction of the crystal near the end of the arc shares at least one similarity almost uniquely associated with the Death Star, a planar blast. Although such a detonation effect has been seen else ware, as with "seismic charges," the plane coupled with the "weapons there were, of unimaginable power. Always at their heart a kyber crystal was" quote from Yoda make it reasonably clear that this was intended to be associated with the Death Star.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Short of an Adult Swim scene of Palpatine cursing into the phone about the delay this was gonna cause to the Deathticle (not to mix my metaphor there), it couldn't have been more clear.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 pm

359 wrote:Yes, kyber crystals themselves are nothing new. There was an earlier arc in the Clone Wars (TCW: "The gathering" etc... referenced in your quotes) involving the finding of kyber crystals for lightsabers.

What is unique about this arc is the size of the crystal, something like four or six meters in length. And that we here from Yoda that such crystals were used in the past to power great weapons of unimaginable power (think: Death Star). Furthermore the destruction of the crystal near the end of the arc shares at least one similarity almost uniquely associated with the Death Star, a planar blast. Although such a detonation effect has been seen else ware, as with "seismic charges," the plane coupled with the "weapons there were, of unimaginable power. Always at their heart a kyber crystal was" quote from Yoda make it reasonably clear that this was intended to be associated with the Death Star.

Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 2 Title: In Search of the Crystal wrote: Obi-Wan: Hello, I am Obi-Wan Kenobi and this is Anakin Skywalker. Who may i ask are you?

Arms Dealer: My name is not important.

Obi-Wan: Well, it's just... normally it helps add a certain decorum to business transactions.

Arms Dealer: I hear the Republic is interested in buying the crystal.

Anakin: Crystal?

Obi-Wan: Yes, we're most definitely interested in buying the crystal.

Anakin:Oh, crystal. I thought you said missile.

Obi-Wan: No. He definitely said crystal, and that's why we're here to purchase the crystal.

Arms Dealer: Are there any more Jedi here?

Obi-Wan: On Utapau? No, just the two of us.

Anakin: The Republic trusts us to make the deal.

Obi-Wan: However, we are in constant contact with the Council.

Arms Dealer: YOu have created a problem for me. I have already promised the crystal to General Grievous.

Obi-Wan: I assure you there's no problem. We'll pay twice what Grievous is offering.

Arms Dealer: Show me the money.

Anakin: Show us the crystal.

Arms Dealer: Oh, you're one of those. Very well. Chung, we're leaving.

Anakin: What? More walking? Don't you guys have a speeder or ship somewhere?
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 2 Title: In Search of the Crystal wrote: Anakin: Crystal?

Obi-Wan: The only crystal I know that you can weaponize is a Kyber Crystal.

Anakin: It is the fundamental element in the lightsaber.

Obi-Wan: Yes. Still it's odd.
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 2 Title: In Search of the Crystal wrote: Anakin: You better take a look at this. What is it?

Obi-Wan: It's a Kyber Crystal, but I've never seen one this big before.

Anakin: What do you suppose Grievous wants with it?

Obi-Wan: Grievous or Dooku, I don't know, but it's for something much bigger then a lightsaber. That's far certain. Let's get out of here.

Anakin: Without the crystal?

Obi-Wan: Oh we're taking the crystal... ...and the whole ship with it.

Anakin: I'll fire up the engines.
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 3 Title: Crystal Crisis wrote: Obi-Wan: We're lugging a massive, volatile Kyber Crystal of unimaginable value across the Utapauian plains at a snail's pace, and you Anakin are telling me to relax!
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 3 Title: Crystal Crisis wrote: Anakin: What just happened?

Obi-Wan: The crystal refracted the cannon fire back at them.
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 4 Title: The Big Bang wrote: Obi-Wan: I said the smuggles responsible for Master Twuon's death are dealing weapons to Grievous and the Separatists.

Mace: We copy Obi-Wan, what type of weapons?

Obi-Wan: An enormous Kyber Crystal.

Mace: Did we hear you correctly? A Kyber Crystal?

Obi-Wan: Yes, massive in scale, like nothing I've ever seen before. We're in pursuit of a Separatist shuttle which is carrying the crystal.

Mace: What type of support do the Separatist have on Utapau?

Obi-Wan: There seems to be an entire Separatist fleet orbiting the planet. We're attempting to intercept the shuttle before it can dock with one of the cruisers.

Mace: We can send support, but I'm afraid it would not arrive in time to help you.

Obi-Wan: Not to worry Master Windo, Anakin and I have been in difficult situations before. I'm sure we shall prevail.

Yoda: So cavalier, you must not be Obi-Wan. At all cost, escape with this crystal, Grievous can not.

Obi-Wan: Yes Master Yoda, Understood.
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 4 Title: The Big Bang wrote: Obi-Wan: The crystal isn't just refracting energy, it's intensifying the charge.

Anakin: What happens if it gets hit by something bigger then a blaster?

Obi-Wan: I'm afraid we're about to find out.

+++++

B1: Sir, a massive discharge of energy has caused an explosion on C-deck.
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 4 Title: The Big Bang wrote: B1: Sir, the Jedi have possession of the crystal, and are moving across C-Deck.

Grievous: What do you mean they are moving across C-Deck? Which corridor are they using?

B1: They made their own corridor. They've been using the crystal to blast their way through our defenses.
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 4 Title: The Big Bang wrote: B1: The crystal is over heating. There's no stopping iiiiiiii
Franchise: Star Wars Series: The Clone Wars Story reel Episode: 4 Title: The Big Bang wrote: Yoda: Out of the stories of old, this crystal comes. Long ago in forgotten times when the Sith and Jedi fought for control of the galaxy. Weapons, there were of unimaginable power. Always at their heart, a Kyber Crystal was just like the one you described.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Bingo. Crystal of sufficient size = amplifier.

It may scale, in which case a lightsaber amplification is scarcely noticeable, but this monster was.

Also, or else alternately, directed energy seems to be necessary anyway… it isn't like the thing was radiating just from incident sunlight, room lighting, hovercart EM leakage, et cetera.

Perhaps lightsabers do not employ the proper type of energy direction to achieve the effect, or no one shoots their crystal, et cetera.

Anyway, I didn't see any evidence of recoil from the crystal, either, not that the claim is of merit for the Death Star anyway.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:46 pm

B. Young is already working on a video about this crystal.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:27 pm

So crystal is basically a version of this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla%27s_oscillator

So, would it mean that Death Star's reactor on its own cannot even produce 23-some Gt required in a reasonable timescale? Or it can, and crystal is used for something else entirely (maybe in a part of superlaser that is responsible for generating hyperspace portion of the beam)? Or that Alderran was destroyed by superlaser-induced oscillations? Or maybe it is used in a weird sausage factory local to the Death Star?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Picard wrote:So crystal is basically a version of this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla%27s_oscillator

So, would it mean that Death Star's reactor on its own cannot even produce 23-some Gt required in a reasonable timescale? Or it can, and crystal is used for something else entirely (maybe in a part of superlaser that is responsible for generating hyperspace portion of the beam)? Or that Alderran was destroyed by superlaser-induced oscillations? Or maybe it is used in a weird sausage factory local to the Death Star?
The sheer size of the Death Star's reactor still allows it to produce massive amounts of energy. Nothing close to what would turn a planet to pebbles generoulsy overcoming escape velocity, but enough to generate a level of thermal destruction that would fit with what is seen during the first frames of impact: the magnitude fits.
Beyond that, yes, it's safe to consider that a wizard's semen did it or something like that.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:28 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:B. Young is already working on a video about this crystal.
If he uploads it by wifi and has a huge honking kyber crystal between him and the router, will it cause the video to make sense?

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:51 am

Ooh, Lucky posted all the juicy, relevant quotes from the show’s scripts, that’s handy! Here is some stuff that struck me as interesting:

1) In the Holocron Heist story arc, a kyber crystal is indeed at the heart of the holocron.

Probably not that useful, but with these crystals being so tightly connected to the force, my head canon is screaming "Force infused energy boost to weapons!!!"

2) In the Younglings story arc, Hondo ambushes the Jedi ship... for the freshly harvested crystals, and as I recall, just one was said to be worth a fortune on the black market.

3) From Obi Wan and Anakin's dialog on the plains, we know kyber crystals can be "weaponized," they are "the fundamental element in a light saber," the crystal is "volatile," and then there was announcer’s declaration of the crystal being a source of energy.

So the Jedi already are familiar with military applications of these crystals, including the ancient use of large crystals, which Anakin dismissed as "children’s stories," though Yoda took them more seriously.
As for Obi Wan's apparent surprise at the crystals reaction to blaster bolts, 2046's idea works for me:
2046 wrote:Bingo. Crystal of sufficient size = amplifier.

It may scale, in which case a lightsaber amplification is scarcely noticeable, but this monster was.

Also, or else alternately, directed energy seems to be necessary anyway… it isn't like the thing was radiating just from incident sunlight, room lighting, hovercart EM leakage, et cetera.

Perhaps lightsabers do not employ the proper type of energy direction to achieve the effect, or no one shoots their crystal, et cetera.

Anyway, I didn't see any evidence of recoil from the crystal, either, not that the claim is of merit for the Death Star anyway.
This, and the Jedi's mystic ways tend to make them a bit arrogant. If properly tuning the crystal inside a light saber requires knowledge of the force, they may assume that such reactions aren’t possible without the crystal first being properly aligned or tuned by a Jedi. Any other uses for such crystals without benefit of the force may be viewed as crude and uncivilized. Which takes me to...

4) The similarities have already been pointed out regarding the planar rings in the explosions from the Death Stars, the seismic charges, and now the jumbo kyber crystal. Thinking back on Hondo's escapades in point #2... Who says one of the black market outlets for such crystals isn't as a one shot consumable weapon, say the heart of a seismic charge? It's just a wild theory that popped in my head, but it made me wonder.

As it is, it’s pretty clear this is supposed to be hinting at the Death Star, though it kind of puts a damper on a pet theory I had in my mind. It long bothered me how clean and even the planetary explosion of Alderaan was. I had made it my nearly baseless head canon that the Death Star behaved a bit more like 2009 Trek’s Narada, rapidly punching deep into the planet before delivering a massive seismic charge. Then again, seeing how energy weapons in Star Wars can make flak bursts, if there is any basis to my 3rd point above, maybe I can hang on to that theory a little longer. Especially so, since saying "a magic crystal did it" doesn't do anything for explaining exactly how the thing really works.