Star Wars Film Novelizations Remain Canon

For all your discussion of canon policies, evidentiary standards, and other meta-debate issues.

Discussion is to remain cordial at all times.
Starship Captain

Star Wars Film Novelizations Remain Canon

Post by 2046 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:41 pm

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.asp ... m=facebook

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Yes ... 157749.asp

Same info, different links.

So not only are the six film novelizations canon, but they're also adding in Karen Traviss and her novelization of the TCW film.

I have some reading to do, I'll be back.

In any case, though, my website is in peachy shape*. Now if I could just modernize the pages so the ancient 2002-era ones don't look like newsgroup responses . . .

* (... at least until some comic book comes along and screws everything up.)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Star Wars Film Novelizations Remain Canon

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 01, 2014 10:06 pm

I want my Spotify Dramas to be canonical as well!
NOW!

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sat May 03, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm sure we all are most interested in what the status of the ICS is, it is the holy grail for the warsies after all.
The warsies shot themselves in the foot long ago with the ICS and its unrealistic depictions they so readily embraced. They loved the wanked-out numbers that have no cooberating evidence in anything else with the name "Star Wars." I imagine once it's all said and done, many of them will choose to exist within their version of the EU and thus remain separate from the movie universe that doesn't give them the power to ass-plode star systems at a whim.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Oh, it also means we can keep the part about the bazooka-looking laser weapons deployed by the snowtroopers on Hoth which would considerably damage the Millennium Falcon:
TESB novelization wrote: Before Han could make a carefully honed retort, the Falcon was jolted by
a blast of Imperial laser fire that flashed outside the cockpit window.
They could all see the squad of Imperial stormtroopers rushing with
drawn weapons into the far end of the ice hangar. Han knew that the
Falcon's dented hull might resist the force of those hand weapons, but
would be destroyed by the more powerful bazooka-shaped weapon that two
of the Imperial troopers were hurriedly setting up.
If only Han could bring those megaton-level shields online!

Hernalt
Candidate

Post by Hernalt » Thu May 19, 2016 4:53 am

2046 wrote:In any case, though, my website is in peachy shape*. Now if I could just modernize the pages so the ancient 2002-era ones don't look like newsgroup responses . . .

* (... at least until some comic book comes along and screws everything up.)

I had a look at http://st-v-sw.net/STSWdsaccel.html where you make a good case that the Rebel battle map of DSI, Yavin and Yavin IV should not be considered indicative.

What if it has a coordinate system other than expected? Distance from Yavin on the board may represent the log of the Rebels' best estimate of the Death Star distance. More specifically, a log that is dependent on the angle the position is at around Yavin, so that not all analogies between Rebel display and Imperial are obvious. So the first question is then, if the DSI had line of sight of Yavin IV upon entering the system, did the Death Star have the *range required to perform the shot? Leia in the Death Star viewing room had a 50 yard line front row seat at Alderaan (at least the minimum necessary proximity). What you're arguing on that page and what I'm seeing allows me to think that the DSI entered the Yavin planetary system at maximum range, may or may not have eyeballed Yavin IV at great distance for some slight amount of time, possibly out of range of the superweapon, but already had some velocity vector that was going to carry it past Yavin, just as a matter of course of debarking from hyperspace. No one detail here about the approach vector into the planetary systems needs to have been perfectly anticipated by the Imperials, who are on record having great faith in their Yamato Bismarck, and thinking little of what little fleet force, or snub fighter force, the base might send up. This I think should enhance the faith that DSI was not simply passing up an obvious easy opportunity to dispatch its target upon jumping into the system, but instead got to display the military tedium of hurrying up and waiting until something catastrophic can happen. "I'm taking an awful risk, Vader. This had better work."

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:40 pm

The log idea might make some sense in a real thingamajig of that type, but I just can't get behind it . . . I think it would be too confusing to most people who want to be able to assess position, direction, and velocity readily, thereby defeating the purpose of a visual aid.

That said, it was not a moving display of the Death Star (or at least not with a worthwhile framerate), so maybe there's some logic to it . . . but it still feels pretty weird on the first blush.

However, I do rather like your idea regarding range. By analogy, you're suggesting that the Death Star might've seen the target but stayed on course because it wasn't in range. This is much like a sharpshooter passing by a city on the interstate in clear view of his target skyscraper office, but he still has to take the exit and hit the surface streets until he gets to downtown.

I can dig it.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:28 pm

No.

(because I got tired seeing your name in "Last Post" on the front page)