The Tides of History (an St/Sw cross over)

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: The Tides of History (an St/Sw cross over)

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 pm

MOAR!

I mean, nice, please continue... :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue May 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Cool...so prehistory Trek was the Lensman verse? ;)

And you have a Tyrannosaurus rex in command of a Worldship? You have just won all the awesome.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 am

a small update as a fathers day present to any of my readers who've got kids and also to Khas and Preao and son of who have churning out consistent awesome

coming up soon..will be the Vader/Im'pec fight everyone has been asking me for, but for now some talkies

Enterprise E i believe a year ago you asked me if Rainbird would ever clash with Dartanis over the guys nature. If you're still reading this chapter should give you, you're answer and also make you hate S 31 all the more

the rest of you enjoy

also next chapter- Rainbird meets with Yoda and Simon Tarses leads the Federation fleet into battle with Imperial forces

Outer rim territories two days later

Outer rim territories two days later

Home One exited slip stream, the glowing nacelles that dotted her fins slowly shimmering into a faint hum of energy as her reactors began to rest, her bright silver coloring and sleek but massive form gave her the visage of an ancient marine animal. The Mon Cals designed their ships much like the leviathans of their home world, large gentle beasts that roamed the oceans of their home grazing on the smallest of animals as they explored the seas of time. Their cruisers, their ships luxurious giants were legendary for the same purpose, roaming the vastness of space, seeking out life both great and small, mobile hotels and science platforms, luxury liners and deep space exploration vessels, now due to circumstances of galactic history became machines of war and conquest. Giant and surprisingly swift, these sea creatures given wings were now among the few forces in the stars that could oppose imperial domination of the cosmos.

Striding down a pathway he watched as Rebel officers saluted him, Akbar the slave, Akbar the stunted, Akbar the bane of the empire, the personal slave of Grand Moff Tarkin who after rescue became one of the most dangerous tactical minds in the known universe. Grand Admiral Octavian Grant had called him “a sea dragon in the form of a slug” once, he had to suppress a chuckle at that back handed compliment, a chuckle that quickly died in his throat as he began to think about the purpose of the meeting he was about to attend, about appearances and how they could be so incredibly deceiving, how a Dragon could appear as a slug and how a preacher, could secretly be a demon in disguise. Akbar didn’t completely trust the Dominion, he hadn’t since they arrived the smiling placating nature of these creatures who claimed to only be interested in trade and commerce yet seemed to be able to summon armies of terrible power, cloned warriors in an endless supply led by gigantic Ursoid monsters that were as ferocious as any Imperial general. An army bred to revere their leaders as gods and the Vorta as preachers and overlords serving this divine cause of order. The nature of the Dominion wasn’t officially against any of the laws the republic was made up of. Though the Jem’Hadar came dangerously close to being a race of slaves the argument came that they were as the clones of old were and that didn’t sit well with Akbar, he also knew it didn’t sit well with Leia Organa or Luke Skywalker who opposed them and had begun to do so more and more openly. Yet as much as they did, the rebel alliances leadership continued to refuse to acknowledge their complaints. The tipping point was rumors that the Dominion and the Empire both had begun to sterilize planets that were on the edge of the space they could control, to thin the resource burden or to deny the other side a potential conquest. Simple, brutal and incredibly illegal area denial that Akbar, General Calrissian and Senator Organa vehemently opposed and when they brought their concerns to her she seemed to become rather flustered and said she would need proof of Dominion duplicity in this matter before she could do anything about it. Akbar understood of course but he had a sickening feeling that rebel leadership was not going to accept any proof, still it was up to Akbar to go get it. Or rather Luke Skywalker suggested he would go and get it and the old Admiral decided that he would personally accompany the boy.

Moving towards the conference room he was greeted by General Calrissian and Chewbacca who grunted in respect. Akbar nodded to the proud warrior turned smuggler and then to new renegade General. “Admiral, when the Urr and the independent report they’re two minutes away” He said and Akbar nodded still surprised that Captain Garros and his battle group seemed to share his views. The young Captain was very close to the mad preacher who had taken him in as a sort of surrogate and the thought that he was here somewhat as a spy for the old Vorta and the Rebel leadership did hang heavily on his mind, yet Lando assured him the boy was just as suspicious if not more so than they were. Luke had probed the Captain before they left and detected no deception just concern and worry, he was hiding something but Luke believed it was more just how much he knew, in case any of them were compromised. Luke had tried to assure him this wasn’t the case but as Garros had said “we’re allies with shape changers, we can’t be too careful”

Paranoia, so much of it was rampant now more so than when it was just Imperial spies one had to worry about. He wondered if this was the victory of the founders, suspicion and fear that undid so much before the actual hammer fell. “You have yet to tell me where we are going General” Akbar intoned “have patience” Lando said with one of his arrogant smiles, the smiles of a man who was acutely self-aware of his talented, how skilled and how checkered he was. A rogue through and through Akbar didn’t like the idea of a pirate and a con man becoming a soldier in the navy or rather he didn’t at first until he reminded himself, he was once a slave and if he hadn’t been given a second chance, much of history would be different. “I’ll tell you as soon as Garros makes contact” he said as they entered the room. Leia was sitting down drinking some tea when the three men entered; Chewie howled at her a hello and gripped Luke in a large embrace, which Luke gave back before shaking hands with Lando. The four men took their seats and a fifth appeared via hologram, Captain Garros nodded “Knight Skywalker” he said with a nod of respect. Luke smiled; Garros had taken to calling him by his Jedi title as opposed to his military rank a gesture of respect and acknowledgement between the two young rising stars. Leia nodded curtly to him, clearly not fully trusting him yet. “General Calrissian, Admiral Akbar” “Captain Garros” Akbar said nodding his voice somewhat tight.

Lando smirked “still have some naysayers there huh?” he said with a laugh. “It can’t be helped and I understand” Garros said. Leia nodded of course he did, a page right out of his mentors book, being accommodating and smiling understanding way too much. “But I’m not the one given over to secrecy; tell me Lando where are we going to get this proof?”

“A small space station in the no man’s land area of the mid rim territories”

“Abandoned?” Luke asked to which he received a nod “we’re meeting someone there, if he answers my hails “Lando said “If?” Leia asked somewhat annoyed, if they had been brought out here for nothing she was going to be giving him an ear full for it. Lando laughed “easy your highness, he likely will it’s just, well ever since I’ve thrown in with you guys he hasn’t trusted me that much even though we did a lot of business on Bespin” he grinned. Garros frowned was he bringing them to meet an imperial officer or member of some corporate sector guild? Akbar suddenly became livid and both Luke and Garros exchanged puzzled looks though Leia seemed to guess who he meant and she too became angry “he left us and took almost a quarter of our supporters with him!” “Because he believed the rebel leaders were corrupt” Akbar frowned “and you think he’s any better?” Akbar asked his features stern with concern “Garn Bel Iblis is a fanatic! An absolutist who trusts no one and wont bend or compromise, he views everyone as a second Emperor and even when he was a senator he was a purist!”

Luke and Garros exchanged looks apparently they were the only people at the table who knew of Iblis only by reputation alone. Luke had heard stories about the man from his meditations Obi wan had showed him visions and the man seemed to be incredibly strong willed and principled but they treated him almost as if he was bad as the Dominion? “I heard he’s made a series of successful hit and run raids on both sides, I know Vi’retess has an interest in him almost as much as he does Knight Skywalker here” Garros remarked. Luke raised an eyebrow and Akbar shook his head, Chewie seemed to laugh and then roared and Luke shrugged at the statement. Garros grinned “I agree the thought of him doing anything other than refusing the Dominion is illogical but maybe that’s why he should be the one we go too?”

“I’ve heard reports about him accepting Imperial forces into his ranks, tell me how does that make him any better than what we think our leaders have done?” Leia asked. Lando shrugged “not everyone in the imperial army is evil” he said “this isn’t a black and white universe” “Name a few?” she asked. “Grand Admiral Thanagar, Grand Admiral Grant, Grants only interested in holding the core and being comfortable he has not changed since the clone wars. Grand Admiral Guylos and few Grand Generals I can think of are not wholly evil”

“I refuse to believe the Ram is anything but a monster” Leia said. Chewie roared at her and Luke looked somewhat shocked, the passionate near indignant reply from the Wookie was unexpected, his story about the actions of the Ram, though did make Luke wonder why such men would be serving the empire? Then again when their allies were the Dominion perhaps it was foolish of him to question such things. Leia nodded “you’re right, but that was before the empire another time” Leia said “twenty years is more than enough time for some humans to go rotten to the core”

Chewie shook his head, apparently whatever had happened had left a lasting impression on the Wookie. Akbar’s silent but determined eyes seemed to reinforce it, whatever the Ram did they weren’t going to be impeaching his character with these two present. “Do you believe Iblis will give us proof?” Leia asked “or shoot us on sight”

“I think the question we should be asking is, if he gives us proof and we take it back to Mothma and the rest and they do nothing, what is our next move” Luke asked, it was an uneasy question and voicing it made him feel incredibly uneasy but it had to be voiced. They all stayed quiet and Luke spoke up “I must follow the path of the Jedi, I cannot fight on the side of a group loyal to genocidal tyrants” he said his tone wistful and sad but full of conviction. Leia nodded slowly “neither can I” she said. Slowly everyone on the table agreed

Akbar remembered lines spoken by the Moff who was his master, “sometimes Akbar the truth is far fouler than any lie that can be conjured”

Thory Sector same time

Grand Admiral Thanagar watched with an amused smile as Turhain gazed in shock at the massive alien that stood beside the Ram. Im’pec leaned into the hologram his scarred grizzled face conjuring the most twisted of smiles “what is the matter? Are you deaf? Heard you not your Grand Admiral” he asked his voice low, rumbling in his throat almost a growl. Slowly the Moff mastered himself and glared back “I hear my leader just fine you bloated animal! I was merely taking in your hideous features and wondering what on earth Thanagar was doing with such an ugly beast in my presence”. Im’pec burst out laughing “I like this scientist! He has fire!” Thanagar laughed “send me twenty thousand more xenocorps soldiers and ten thousand more storm troopers, another hundred frigates and all the construction parts I requested”

“But my lord, those parts it’s as though you are going to build a space station?” he asked Thanagar nodded “the assault into Dominion space is going harder than anticipated, I would construct a base where I can continue to equip and repair my forces, the deeper we push the less practical reinforcing solely from your base becomes’ he said. Turhain nodded “the problem is, it took several years to construct our bases Sir” “we have plenty of resources, Thory was smashed in half by The Klingons the planet is floating debris, I intend to use a part of its primary continent” he paused and bent to look out the window “floating by me as we speak as raw materials, what’s left of the moon will become the base.” Turhain frowned, Klingon weaponry was horrifically powerful then, still though it would take months unless “I suppose their replication technology is on par with the Dominion?” he asked. Im’pec smiled “we will shoulder the burden of construction along with the engineers of the fleet then we will return to battle” he remarked. “I intend to have Commodore Hertz take command of the base and run logistics for me while I smash these fething demons to pieces” he said with a demented smile “very well my lord, I will send all available ships and vessels to you, all personnel that comes through here for your great crusade when they come will be sent there” he remarked. “Thanagar out” when the com cut off another figure walked in from the shadows, a his massive fat frame and wine goblet shook as he laughed uproariously, Thanagar turned eying his double “told you” he said with a smile before he slowly began to change shifting into the slender, calm faced changeling known as Lars. “I have to admit I almost thought I wasn’t me” Thanagar said laughing “you fooled that prissy bastard something spectacular!” he grinned, he enjoyed the demonstration of Dominion infiltration ability by the renegade Lars but he also enjoyed the thought of deceiving the technicians a little. Lars nodded “Tell me something Thanagar your leaders are they as willing as you to fight? Or will they sue for peace?”

Thanagar frowned, in thought on the subject “well the Emperor will do what he thinks will give him the best advantage, but my guess is the Grand Admirals and Vader if he ever wakes up will take the fight to the bugs, fight them until there aint no founder left alive in this galaxy aint named Lars”

Lars nodded “good, because that’s the only way to stop the Dominion”

….

Unknown regions

Captain Wildstar whistled as he watched the dead vessel float in the asteroid field, near it lay two of the large mammoth capital ships the Dominion had built during the war to slug it out with Sovereign class starships. The three vessels and their battle groups had gotten into a titanic struggle it seemed perhaps early on in the war. All three lay dead and over four hundred smaller vessels lay shattered and ruined all around them a macabre marker stone, a twisted warning about the great and terrible war that was coming.

The now Admiral Dartanis had tasked them with finding a suitable world to begin colonization and construction of a space station with which to begin projecting a federation presence in this galaxy. He figured the cost of building a space station in resources and time if they had built it from scratch would only serve to delay their missions. However this monstrosity represented a means to cut the work down drastically while still making a terrific gesture of power. They could refit and rearm this monster, bring it to life and build around it “she’ll fit a few excelsior’s inside her but anything bigger would need to be docked on outer pylons which we could easily build, plus taking their heaviest ship and turning it into an HQ’s gotta have an intimidating effect” he said. The Al-Aurian Captain shrugged “or it may make us look like cheap, resource poor grave robbers and cravens” he said but nodded ‘all the same I like how well armed it is and you mentioned the scan shows factories that were retrofitted with advanced technology?”

“possibly from a wrecked Voth vessel or even the ancient relics, simply put I strongly believe this was some type of experimental prototype that got caught when the fighting started- acclimating it to our technology won’t be easy but it won’t be impossible either and there’s plenty of debris around we can use in conjunction with the replicators to speed the entire process up” he said “the gas giant has seven moons, two of which can be settled with only minimal planetary engineering- all in all with the Sarmiento’s facilities you could have the station up and running inside of two months. The planets ready for settlement by the time Maxwell arrives”

Dartanis nodded “very well then, send me the coordinates, happy hunting Wildstar’ the hologram vanished and Captain Wildstar sat back “pig, dock your tug boat and meet me on the bridge we’re going to meet with Tarses and Serita”

“Ah, the old man approved of this graveyard?” Restiv asked his tone carrying more than a little discontent “truth be told I wish he hadn’t but yeah” “well our first impression is going to be different than usual” The Telarite barked barely concealed scorn. “Looks like we’re all changing” he said he just hoped it wasn’t into something monstrous. “My ship is docked I’ll be on the bridge in a minute Captain”

Leaning back Wildstar nodded “ensign, enter the rendezvous coordinates” at the console a young officer nodded “aye sir coordinates entered, engineering reports full power to engines” “then get us the fuck outta here” Wildstar said

The Excelsior class vessels nacelles began to light up, bright blue and purple energy swarmed around them and then in a flash the ship was pulled into subspace slipstream heading towards their compatriots on a quest to find, allies or rather willing pawns in a game that felt far too much like empire building to Captain Wildstar.

Unknown regions an hour later

The Medical facilities of the USS Sarmiento were almost on par with that of a state of the art space station, containing some four hundred stasis pods, organ regeneration facilities, Nano probe manufacturing capabilities, cloning chambers and even a disease and pathogen research center it was light-years ahead of what could be mounted on a starship just thirty years ago. Between Voyagers treasures and the technological boom of the Dominion war, and the wonders taken from Borg space the Federation had truly become a galactic super power, the weaponry that could end civilizations walked hand in hand with the industrial power to end hunger, to turn dying worlds into verdant paradises build cities. The medical knowledge to extend lives, revive dying species and cure plagues that just fifty years prior would have killed tens of billions. Dartanis remembered the end of the Dominion war, when the Federation began to colonize the Gama quadrant again, how they returned to the world affected by the blight and discovered that inoculating new born wasn’t enough, that birth rates were becoming so low that they would need to begin researching a cure as soon as possible for within a century or so most of the species would be extinct. Dartanis recalled seeing the Federation news network before leaving how it marked the twenty fifth anniversary of the elimination of the blight, a disease that could now be cured with nothing but the puny medical facilities on an Akira class starship. With such technology though came dangers, the danger of abuse, the danger of dependency and the danger of corruption.

Entering the medical facility he nodded at the chief medical officer and the others who went up and greeted their newly minted Admiral. “Have you finished the research on those bacteria?” he asked, the doctor a Denobulan nodded “aye sir, it’s strange at first I thought why haven’t we begun to show signs of force sensitivity, when I realized the answer was our bodies have a natural immunity to these little bugs” he said “immunity?” “oh yes Captain, this is simple bacteria, bacteria that is a dime a dozen in every form of organic life everywhere, as you can guess our bodies are quite the petri dish” Dartanis grinned, that was an aspect of biology he had spent a thousand years trying to forget, no matter how high your technology advanced you were always going to be covered in endless colonies of living organisms. It was as humbling as it was disturbing to him “but why is it different here?” he asked “I believe the genetic code of every organism has been altered to be receptive to these things” he explained “the bacteria themselves have been heavily altered the amount of this energy field it taps into is quite strong” he said

“I see, and does that explain the complaints of the telepaths in the fleet?” Dartanis asked. The doctor looked at him quizzically “Captain? Are you also hearing voices too?’ The Al-Aurian smiled “I can hear more than just voices when I choose too, deeper than most can on this ship my people are very aware of such things” he said “it seems almost like entire personalities have been imprinted on the energy field these “midichlorians” tap into” he explained “quite remarkable as if they’ve imprinted an echo of their very souls onto a cosmic force” he said “how many do you hear?” the doctor asked “oh no, only the ones I choose, same for the Betazoids on the ship the others are easily blocked out but my guess is tens of thousands of years of sentient beings of these “Jedi” we found in deep space have been leaving their thoughts” he said though his voice seemed to tense a little, it wasn’t just the Jedi something far darker echoed there too something terribly vile and powerful that his people had begun to discover and actively block. “From what I hear there are echoes of extreme violence as well” The doctor said

Dartanis nodded “is it possible to create a pathogen that would destroy these microbes?” he asked. The Doctor paused and thought about it before nodding slowly his features becoming somewhat grave and worried “I must warn you, the result of such a pathogen would likely be the death of upwards of eighty percent of all life, complex or otherwise in this entire galaxy” he said slowly was the Admiral thinking about using such a monstrous weapon? Fear and disgust replaced curiosity as the Al Aurian seemed to deliberate something “if such a weapon were designed by the Dominion or Klingons, you believe it would be a genuine Armageddon scenario?” he asked. The doctor nodded “the species of this galaxy almost every life form has evolved to be somewhat dependent on this “force” it would be destruction and death on a level never before witnessed in recorded history, of any civilization that we know of sir in the entirety of the known universe” Dartanis nodded “I want you to design such a bioweapon” he said slowly. The doctors all looked around nervously the head physician’s eyes widened “Sir I cannot! I will not!”

“You will, or you’ll be shot for treason” Dartanis said slowly “This is war, and we are faced with an enemy that could very well weaponize the dark side of this energy field or worse still if they start losing this war and decide to use that bioweapon first! I want you to design it and then I want to design multiple strains and versions and then invent counters and cures and quarantine methods for all of them” he explained. The Denobulan was shaking, the upside was the Admiral did seem to want to have the means to stop any such horrible action but the mere fact that he also wanted the weapon designed as well terrified him “you cannot ask me to design both”

“Yes I can, and if we’re all lucky neither will ever have to be used”

The Denobulan sat down “what right do you have?” “Why the articles of the federation of course section 31 of the self-defense articles especially” he said walking to the door “this is to be kept classified understood?” he asked. They nodded “Sir I have to ask, your former first officer, commander he came to us making similar inquires with a rather horrified look on his face, the changeling then “killed him”” the Denobulan whispered “is that what really happened?” he asked Dartanis nodded “yes, I would not have killed him that’s a horrible way to run a project like this” he said “and he was my friend” he added with a note of bitterness and grief. The Denobulan nodded “then my last question sir if things go badly for us, will you use this weapon?”

Dartanis gazed at him and the others there, the truth was if things went south but the Dominion and Klingon positions were weakened there would be no need, something truly horrible would have to occur for him to use this weapon something beyond inconceivable. This dark king they called Palpatine actually harnessing the power of the arks perhaps, he would do everything in his power to avoid having to use it

But for the greater good of the Federation, Admiral Dartanis would have no trouble consigning an entire galaxy to a slow agonizing death.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 am

I am not a father, but damn do I accept your gift...

That was awesome... :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Dang, sorry I missed this.

Good to see at least part of the Rebellion is waking up to the Dominon. And Thanagar, even a changling mimic, is awesome. Even more so when he's building a base from the world he's just blown up. ;)

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 am

Praeothmin wrote:I am not a father, but damn do I accept your gift...

That was awesome... :)
I'm glad you liked it

I know you guys want Vader verses Im'pec and that is coming, in fact it may come as soon as the middle of the week if I have enough time to punch out a chapter or two a night. But I wanna know...do you also want Yoda and Rainbird back to back against some Dominion scum?
sonofccn wrote:Dang, sorry I missed this.

Good to see at least part of the Rebellion is waking up to the Dominon. And Thanagar, even a changling mimic, is awesome. Even more so when he's building a base from the world he's just blown up. ;)
Thanagar is the Ram, the Bull of the imperial Navy even if its just Lars posing as him I've got to keep him at least somewhat awesome

glad you liked the planet bit

I have a question for you both- How do you feel about the Fed expeditions leader? Am i doing a good job with him?

I know Ent E hated him right off the bat..what about you guys?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:10 pm

Well, Yoda and Rainbird vs some Dominion scum would be nice...

And yes, I hate the guy, but that means he's a good villain... :)

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:18 am

I thought he'd be one of the final players but given Maxwell is coming between him and Rainbird D might find himself ventilated

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Breetia wrote:I have a question for you both- How do you feel about the Fed expeditions leader? Am i doing a good job with him?
More mixed feelings than Preao. Certainly evil but to an extent that might be required by his mission. Galacticide through is beyond the pale through. Even as a last resort contingency weapon just the scale of it boggles my mind.

Besides, since all things are connected to the Force it isn't impossible that that many deaths at, relatively, once make make something of an indention to it. We don't need a ticked of, agonized Force god on our arse. Just saying. ;)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:12 am

@sonofccn, I know he's not the bad guy like the Emperor, but I can never see the type of person who always seems to think the ends justify the means as a good guy...

He's not evil in the sense he's ready to kill all just to rule, or he's not on a power trip, but just the fact that he's willing and ready to create a weapon of total genocide shows he's not the kind of hero I want...

Someone who compromises his principles once for the greater good, but who's clearly very torn about it (like in MoS, or like Sisko in The Pale Moonlight), can be a hero, as it is the path of every hero to see where his moral boundaries lie, and the cost of crossing those, but to me, Dartanis is not a hero, he's a weak man willing to do anything to accomplish his goals, never wondering what the cost of his acts will be, to him, or to the Galaxy at large...

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Praeothmin wrote:@sonofccn, I know he's not the bad guy like the Emperor, but I can never see the type of person who always seems to think the ends justify the means as a good guy...

He's not evil in the sense he's ready to kill all just to rule, or he's not on a power trip, but just the fact that he's willing and ready to create a weapon of total genocide shows he's not the kind of hero I want...

Someone who compromises his principles once for the greater good, but who's clearly very torn about it (like in MoS, or like Sisko in The Pale Moonlight), can be a hero, as it is the path of every hero to see where his moral boundaries lie, and the cost of crossing those, but to me, Dartanis is not a hero, he's a weak man willing to do anything to accomplish his goals, never wondering what the cost of his acts will be, to him, or to the Galaxy at large...
A valid argument and one I don't wholly disagree with. Indeed I would argue the traditional hero archtype can be defined, in part, by doing what's right rather than what's easy or pragmatic.

Dartanis, I would agree, is a bad man. A person who does and did despicable things. He could never be cheered or heralded, he embodies the very antithesis of everything the civilization he has sworn to protect embodies. Yet to me Dartanis is a man who damned his soul, metaphorically or literally, so that his countrymen could live virtuous lives. That doesn't make him heroic and certaintly can't mean he isn't misguided or flat out wrong but...I have a certain sympathy for that character type. Obviously this is dependent on his behavior, carrying out actions wholly from malice or indeed wiping out an entire Galaxy of, mostly, harmless races would tilt me favor of smacking the Son of a Bantha.

On on a more indulgent note I'm curious of your opinion on the likes of Krevin or the Man in Black. Not to say their heroes or anything, merely curious as to your take since both rarely if ever allow morality to dictate their actions.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:04 pm

I don't see the Man in Black as a hero, for he is like Darthanis...
A man who sold his soul to a Master, following greater orders in any way he deems acceptable to attain the wished for goal...

Krevin I see as a soldier who follows orders for the good of the Empire, and does what must to ensure those orders are seen through, but now, cut off from Command, needs to improvise...
He is also a man who values his own existence, and so would not sacrifice himself unless assured of victory, I believe...

Not a hero either, but less a bad man than Darthanis or the Man in Black...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 am

So by these standards you guys have

How would say Vi'retess, Gendo and Alexander measure up?

Are they like Dartanis and the man in black? Far more evil? Less so?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:08 pm

@ Breetia

To me, I percieve Vi'retess as ultimatly self-serving. That he wants to impose his vision of the Galaxy by force. So while I enjoy the character immensely I don't have the same sympathy that I have for Dartanis.

Gendo I'm really unsure. He might be a justified well intentioned extremist or he might not. Really depends how he plays out.

Alexander, similar to Vi'retess, I see as a kindred soul to Tyler. Someone who would do anything to increase and keep their power. Yet, and maybe its just me seeing things which aren't there, I feel Alexander does believe in something grander than mere power, as opposed to Tyler, that what he does he does for a greater purpose. So, while of a different sort than Dartanis's, I would say I am sympathetic to Alexander's character.

To put them in scale I'd argue Vi'retess is a notch above the Man in Black, whom is a notch or two above Dartanis, Gendo possibly even with Dartanis and Alexander a smidgen beneath him.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Happy three year anniversary Breetia.

Gone but not forgotten.