Fluid Power Evangelion, Book I

For stories, roleplaying, or any other creative literary projects.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Fluid Power Evangelion, Book I

Post by Khas » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 pm

Chapter Ten

"Shinji? Shinji!" Misato shouted. Shinji shook his head and blinked. "Listen, I know Rei's cute, but didn't anyone ever tell you it's rude to stare?" She asked, a mischievous grin appearing on her face. Shinji blushed.

"I'm sorry... I just... well... never mind." He said awkwardly. Before the situation could get any more awkward, he turned to Misato to ask her a few questions. "So, uh, what kind of ship is Voyager?"

"Intrepid-class. One of the fastest in Starfleet." Misato replied. "Maximum speed is Warp 9.9975, and that's not counting the transwarp drive." Misato continued. "She's armed with twelve phaser banks, eight tetryon cannons, and three torpedo tubes, designed for firing photon, quantum, N2, and tricobalt torpedoes."

"N2?" Shinji asked. The turbolift door opened.

"Naquadah-enhanced nuclear." Janeway said, stepping out of the turbolift. "I see you've been telling Mister Ikari about our tactical systems, Colonel." She said.

"Just the basics. Nothing classified." Misato paused. "How'd you know about that, anyway?"

"Security cameras." Janeway said matter-of-factly. "Now then, Mister Ikari, perhaps you'd like to get settled, at least, for the time being." Shinji nodded, and grabbed his bags.

Rand walked slowly through the hallways, hands in his coat pockets. He had left sickbay, shaken by his "father"'s semi-conscious mutterings. His whole life, he had been lied to. Lied to about his parentage. Whoever his real parents were was now a mystery, his biological mother having died in battle, and no record existing of who his biological father was, Rand felt... empty.

Was their love a lie too? Rand thought. He thought back on his life. Running through the summer fields of Emond's Field as a child. The first time he met Mat and Perrin. The times Tam and Kari had taken him with them to market when the Ferengi merchants would arrive. Listening to gleemen weave tales of wonder and terror, his adoptive parents by his sides during his earliest years. Comforting him as a child after nightmares would wake him up, leaving him panting and sweating. How through times both prosperous and lean, they had never abandoned one another. No. Rand thought, and smiled. They may have lied about being my real parents, but they never lied about their love. And really, that's all that matters. He stepped into the turbolift at the end of the hallway. "Galley." He said to the computer.

Rand walked into the galley to find Mat and Perrin at a table. Mat was currently laughing, nearly on the floor, while Perrin was guzzling down ale at a rate that frankly worried Rand. He ran over to see what the problem was, when he found an object that looked like a burrito resting on Perrin's plate.

"Perrin, what's wrong?" Rand asked.

"He ordered a hasperat!" Mat said, pausing from his laughter just long enough to get out that statement.

"A what?" Rand asked.

"It's some Bajoran food. Ridiculously spicy." Mat said.

"And you know this... how?" Rand asked.

"A few years ago, when the merchants came, one of them was running a Bajoran food stand. I sampled a few things, a hasperat was one of them. The only reason I even remembered it was because of how spicy it was." Mat replied, still struggling to stop laughing. Perrin put the ale mug down, and started panting. He continued for a few seconds, before returning to the ale. Rand was shocked. Anything that could make the normally stoic Perrin behave like this must be formidable indeed. Rand sighed, while Mat continued to laugh hysterically. Then the door opened. Rand turned to see Misato, Rei, and some brown-haired boy about Rei's age walk into the galley. Misato then turned to see Rand looking in terror at Perrin, who was guzzling down beer at a rate that made her slightly envious, while Mat was pounding the table laughing.

"What the hell happened?" She asked, running over to the table. "I leave for five minutes, and you somehow manage to..." She paused when she noticed what was on Perrin's plate, "Is that a hasperat?" She asked.

"Yes. Yes it is." Mat replied, his laughter finally dying down. "I warned him not to order one, but he insisted." Misato shuddered, remembering the last time she ate one of those Bajoran burrito-look-a-likes. "Looks like you've experienced them too."

"Once." Misato replied. "On a bet. In college."

"If he refused to listen to one who knew what would happen..." Rei began, her voice quiet as ever, "Then he fully deserved what happened." Rand, Mat, Perrin, Shinji, and Misato all turned around to face Rei, all with various looks of shock on their faces. Mat started to snicker at Rei's apparently snarky comment, when she turned to face him. "Why are you laughing?" She asked.

"What you said. That was pretty funny."

"It was not a joke. It was merely a statement of facts."

Mat stopped laughing, and looked at Rei, to see if she was joking. To his surprise, her face held no emotion. One might have even mistaken her for a primitive android, were it not for her scarlet eyes, that seemed to pierce one's very soul.

I better end this before Rei unnerves anyone else. Misato thought. "So!" She said. "I guess we'd better get ready for our arrival to Earth!"

"Wait, we're going to Earth?" Mat and Shinji asked simultaneously.

"Yep." Misato said. "Didn't the package your father sent you tell that?"

"No." Shinji replied. "All it said was where to wait for you."

Misato stared at Shinji for a bit, before shaking her head.

"Anyway, we'll be arriving on Earth in a few hours. So, just make yourselves comfortable for the time being, okay?"

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Wow. They have security cameras and use them. This truly is a new and remarkable universe. ;)

Also is it just me or does this Janeway seem remarkably competent and useful?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Hey, sonofccn, it's his Universe, he does not need to follow Canon... :)

You don't, I don't, and neither does Breetai... :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Hey, sonofccn, it's his Universe, he does not need to follow Canon... :)

You don't, I don't, and neither does Breetai... :)
True of course through I follow Canon just not Star Wars' but rather the one I found in a dream only to forget in another dream then panic and latch onto what I found scribbled on a gin soaked napkin. :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 am

Chapter Eleven

The next few hours passed uneventfully. In order to pass the time, Mat had used the replicator to create a deck of cards and some Poker chips. Now, he, Misato, Rand, and Perrin were deep in a game, each cautiously planning their next move. Shinji watched the four of them from time to time, preferring to keep an eye on the window, observing the starfield at warp. He'd been invited to play, but declined, saying that card games just weren't his thing. So now, he sat at one of the window tables, gazing out at the effects that a warp bubble had on star light. Well, that, and occasionally looking back at the other occupant of the table. Rei Ayanami. The mysterious girl who he had seen at the starport, only to appear here on Voyager. With no indication of a transporter beam. He turned to face her, seeking answers to his questions.

"Hey, uh, Rei?" he asked. Rei turned to face him, not saying a word, but clearly acknowledging his question. "So, how did you get to the starport, and then back to Voyager so quickly? I didn't see any transporter beam." Rei raised an eyebrow.

"I have not left this vessel since returning from Emond's Field." she said in her ever-quiet voice.

"But, that's impossible! I saw you at the starport!"

"The only person who left Voyager to arrive at the starport was Lieutenant Colonel Katsuragi."

Shinji looked at Rei, disturbed. If she stayed on board Voyager, than who or what did I see on Sarceron?

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me!" Mat hollered, interrupting Shinji's train of thought. Shinji turned around to see the four playing Poker. Perrin had a smirk on his face, while Rand sported a grin that seemed ready to split his face, and Misato had burst out in laughter. Mat started to grumble, and pushed a large number of chips into the center of the table.

Shinji turned back to the window. Just as he turned back to face the void, the distortion of the starfield caused by the warp field disappeared, and the stars returned to points of light. At the same time, a blue-green gas giant with a ring system tilted at such an angle to suggest that the planet rotated on it's side.

"Uh, Misato..." Shinji began.

"Hmm?" Misato turned around to face Shinji. "Oh! We're here! Well, we're in the Sol system anyway." Rand turned to face the window, and saw the planet Shinji and Misato were looking at.

"That's not Earth..." Rand began.

"No, but we're in the right star system. Earth is the third planet in this system. This is the seventh, Uranus." Misato said. "We'll be arriving at Earth in just a few more minutes, so get ready to-"

"Woo-hoo!" Mat yelled. Rand, Perrin, and Misato all turned to face him. "Read 'em and weep. Four aces and a king." Rand's jaw dropped at Mat's newest hand. Perrin crossed his arms and slumped back in his chair. After looking at his friends' reactions, Mat turned to Misato. He noticed then that the Colonel's face was turning a shade of red he previously thought only possible for tomatoes. She looked like she would either burst out a stream of profanities, or breathe fire. Instead, all that came out of her mouth was:

"NYARRGLEFLAR!" Misato smacked herself on the forehead. "And I was so close! Cauthon!!!" Mat could only laugh at her obvious frustration.

Voyager passed through the solar system, getting closer and closer to the sun, until it arrived at the third planet. Misato, her temper finally having cooled down, walked towards the window, accompanying Shinji, Rei, Rand, Mat, and Perrin.

"We've now entered Earth orbit, and are coming up on the continent of South America." she started. "Currently on Earth's night side." She pointed at a splotch of light near the eastern coast of the continent. "See that? That's Buenos Aires, where our headquarters are. Well, our new ones. Originally, they were in Tokyo, but with the Trollocs deploying seismic weapons during the war, they were moved somewhere more geologically stable, in the event that any should get to Earth." Mat, however, seemed focused on something else.

"Whoa, look at that starship!" he said, pointing to a massive vessel, more than a kilometer long, and moving quite rapidly.

"Yep. Odyssey-class." Misato said, then focused on the ship's registry and name. "NCC-81547. UNSS Litany of Fury. Huh. The Blood Ravens must be moving out." She turned back to face Rand, Rei, and Shinji. "So, we'll be beaming down in about a minute, so you might want to get ready."

"What about us?" Mat asked. "Surely, you're not just going to leave us on this ship?"

"Only for the time being, until we know where to relocate the Emond's Field survivors." Mat groaned.

"Easy. It's just for the time being." Perrin said. Mat backed down, and turned back to face the planet. The Litany of Fury continued to accelerate, until it entered a higher orbit. Then, the great ship appeared to distort, as if going to warp. Only, there was a translucent blue glow surrounding the whole vessel, and the flash produced from the jump was not only much brighter, but lasted much longer than that of a normal warp jump.

"Wow. They jumped to transwarp. They must really be needed somewhere." Shinji stated.

"Yeah." Misato said. "Just like we're needed in Buenos Aires. Come on." Misato started walking, and was followed by Shinji, Rei, and Rand. The quartet entered one of the turbolifts in the hallways just outside the galley. "Transporter room." Misato said. The turbolift's computer acknowledged the order, and sped therm off to their destination. Stepping out of the lift and into the transporter room, the four of them walked onto the transporter pad. "Do you have a lock onto our given coordinates?"

"Yes ma'am." the ensign at the transporter console said. "The Geofront entrance, right outside downtown Buenos Aires."

"Excellent." Misato replied. "Well then, energize."

The four of them beamed down right outside a giant door that seemed to lead into the ground, with four giant lights focusing near it. Standing right outside of the giant door was an attractive blonde woman wearing a black skirt, a blue short-sleeved shirt, and a white lab coat. Misato recognized her immediately.

"Oh, uh, Ritsuko." she started.

"You're thirty minutes late, Lieutenant Colonel Katsuragi. Another minute... and we were going to have to send out a search squadron."

"Sorry." Misato said, clearly embarrassed. Ritsuko sighed.

"So, I see you've brought the boys."

"Yep. Shinji Ikari and Rand al'Thor."

"Ritsuko Akagi, head of Project E Technology division, NERV-Earth. It's a pleasure."

"Huh? Oh, yeah." Shinji said. Rand remained quiet. Ritsuko turned to the door.

"Well, come on then. We don't have all day." Misato, Shinji, Rand, and Rei followed her into the door, and the lift that was right beneath it. The lift traveled through various tunnels, until they came to its destination. A darkened room. "Shinji, Rand, I want you to see these." Ritsuko said, as she flicked the lights on. Where there was darkness, now stood two giants - colossal BattleMechs if one had to guess. "You two are looking at the most advanced weapons systems ever developed. The synthetic humanoids - the Evangelions."

Shinji looked in terror at the one closest to him, a purple colossus with a single horn coming from its forehead. Rand was still shocked, but staring at the golden behemoth before him, realization started to set in.

"The two here are Unit-01 and Unit-07. The first two after the prototype to activate."

"Prototype." Rand said. "You mean Unit-00, don't you?" Ritsuko turned around, just as shocked as Shinji and Rand had been when first brought into this room.

"Who told you about Unit-00?" she hollered.

"No one. I saw it in action. Helped save what was left of my village." Ritsuko turned to face Misato at this news.

"Hey, I didn't order it's deployment. Major Greenfield did. Besides, we didn't really have a choice. There was a massive Trolloc attack and-"

"Wait, did you say TROLLOCS?" Ritsuko asked. Misato nodded. "That's just great. First, relations with the Undine are breaking down, and now, the Trollocs decide to return. Oh, can this day get any worse?" Then the screen above the purple Eva, Unit-01, activated, revealing a bearded man wearing a blue coat and pants, an orange shirt, and sunglasses. Yes, yes it can. Shinji looked up at the screen.

"Dad." Shinji whispered. The scowling face of Commander Gendo Ikari looked down on the five people standing between the two Evas.

"It's been a long time, Shinji." Shinji clenched his fists in anger. The man who dropped him off on Sarceron when he was only three stood before him.

"Why did you call me here? You never did before!"

"I think the reason should be obvious."

Shinji looked at Unit-01 right in the face, and then back up at his father.

"You can't be serious!" he yelled, realizing that the only reason he was even called here was to pilot this... thing, the Eva.

"I am."

"You never called or needed me before! Why now?"

"Because now I have a use for you."

"But it's impossible. I've never used anything like this before!"

"You'll receive training. Starting tomorrow." Gendo said. "You as well, Mister al'Thor."
Last edited by Khas on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Buenos Aires? Hope they watch for falling asteriods. ;)

And Shinji's dad sounds like a real winner. Being under his command is going to be all sunshine and rainbows I bet. :)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Oh yes, really fun!

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Just imagine having to work for Gendo IRL, then. Same job, just your boss has been replaced with Gendo.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:22 am

Chapter Twelve

"I suggest you familiarize yourself with your new home until then. And get some rest." Gendo said. With that, the screen faded to black. Shinji clenched his fists even harder, tears welling up in his eyes. The only reason his dad had even called him back was to pilot some giant robot that he had never even heard of before.

"This isn't fair. This isn't right!" he hollered. "I'll probably get killed in combat, or even in training!"

"Only if you keep up that attitude." Rand said. Shinji turned around to face the older Eva pilot. "You heard me when I said I saw Unit-00 in action, right?" Shinji nodded. "Well, if these two are as good as that one, very little should be able to harm us." Shinji looked at Rand, surprised. "What should surprise you even more, is who the pilot was."

"And who was the pilot of Unit-00?" he asked. Rand pointed straight at Rei.

"What? No!" Shinji replied. "That's impossible." The looks on everyone's faces told him no one was joking. "You're serious? Well, that wouldn't surprise me. Wouldn't be the first time he's done something so twisted." Painful memories flooded back. Memories of being left on Sarceron when only four years old. Of being told by his uncle just what a scumbag his father was for doing so. Of the painfully few times his father came and visited, and how cold he had been each time.

"Tell me, you're Commander Ikari's son, correct?" Rei asked, causing everyone in the room to turn around at once.

"Y-Yeah." Shinji replied.

"Don't you have any faith in your father's work?" she asked.

"NO! How could anyone?" Rei walked up to Shinji. "What's wrong?" he asked. Rei faced him, her eyes locked with his, and she gazed deep into them.

And then she slapped him, right across the cheek.

As slaps went, it wasn't particularly hard, but it more than compensated for that in volume. Rei calmly walked away from Shinji, who stood there, utterly surprised. Rand, Misato, and Ritsuko stood dumbfounded, each trying to process just what had happened.

Gendo sat in the middle of a pitch black room, the only light being that which came from the top of his desk. And the desks of his companions at this holo-conference. The Committee always met in half-light, even if it was only for the official reason that darkness prevented distraction. There was, of course, the unofficial reason, which was to keep its members on their toes. Gendo saw who was at the meeting this time, and saw seven people of various species. He knew there were others, and simply assumed that they couldn't make this meeting due to some matter of dire importance, or simply had other things to deal with. The present members of the Committee would fill the others in on what had been discussed here today, anyway.

"So," Chairman Kiel Lorenz, an elderly human male, began. "Unit-00 was deployed on schedule, in keeping with the timing given by the prophecies of the Dead Sea Scrolls, correct?"

"That is correct." Gendo replied. "And the pilots of Units 01 and 07 were retrieved as well."

"Excellent." Kiel said. "Once the Undine arrive we can begin the tests against their true targets, the Children of Adam."

"That's assuming," the speaker two seats to Kiel's left - a middle-aged Jaffa, whose forehead bore the mark of a former First Prime of Sokar, "That Adam's spawn wake up according to the prophecy. For all we know, it could be decades before they awaken. Their agenda is not our own."

[True.] The speaker one seat to Kiel's right, a Breen of indeterminate age began, his voice electronically distorted by his refrigeration suit. [However, the resurgence of the Trollocs has given us good reason to suspect that the rest of the prophecy will come to fruition as well.]

"Narex is right." A human male in either his late thirties or early forties said. "We should begin testing of Evangelion Units 01 and 07 immediately, lest the Children of Adam awaken before we're ready, and wreak havoc on the galaxy."

"I concur with Mister Patrick." An elderly male Tau said. "The Evas must be ready to deal with the threat posed by those..." he paused, looking for the right words. "Abominations."

The third person on Kiel's right, a tall, muscular, purple-skinned humanoid man with green hair, and long, pointed, tapering ears, sat back, ready to speak his part in the meeting. Despite his youthful appearance, Gendo knew that this particular member of the Committee was in fact, far older than any of them.

"In other news..." this newest speaker began, "I have received reports that tell me that Adam's Scions might not be the only new threat we have to consider. There are rumors that the Legion is returning." Silence gripped all who sat at the conference.

[Are you certain?] Narex asked. The purple-skinned male nodded. [If that is the case, than we must initiate official First Contact with your people. The more Evas we can field, the better.]

"I have already begun the evaluation tests of Unit-02 and its pilot on Grunheim." Gendo replied. "So far, all checks are positive." Gendo started again. "As for First Contact, the Blood Ravens are on their way to Tartarus right now. We will see to it that they find the gift that was left on that world. Hopefully, they will be able to use it to face the Legion."

[My people will aid yours.] Narex began. [We have our own score to settle with the Legion.]

"As do ours." The purple-skinned one replied.

"I assume the Vatican Treaty will still hold, even after First Contact is established?" Everyone turned to face the member who had remained silent until now. The voice's owner, a vulpine humanoid whose face was covered in fur that had once been a fiery reddish-orange, but was now liberally laced with silver, and a mane of hair atop his head that had once been black, but was now gray. "After all, we wouldn't want any problems arising, would we?"

"Yes, the Vatican Treaty will still hold." Kiel said. "Each interstellar power is still limited to twelve Evas, even if First Contact wasn't established with them at the initial signing." The vulpine man nodded.

"So, our goal remains unchanged?" The vulpine man asked.

"Yes." Kiel replied. "Our enemies must be crushed. For the sake of sentient beings everywhere. And for the sake of the Galactic Instrumentality Project." The holo-emitters faded, and the lights came back on in the room.

So. Gendo thought. They mean to go through with their original goal. It seems, Yui, that we will have to act faster than anticipated.
Last edited by Khas on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Gendo you magnificent bastard ;) I don't know what game he's trying to play but I'm sure Alexander Rozhenko and Mallus Tyler would smile in approval.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:20 pm

And now we understand why his own son doesn't trust him... :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:41 am

Chapter Thirteen

Fear. The air in the remains of Tartarus' primary starport was thick with it. The Planetary Defense Force troops ran back from the Trolloc assault, looks of sheer terror on their faces. The archaic laser and gunpowder weapons used by the planet's PDF troops were little match against the massive bolters wielded by the Trollocs, or the Varon-T disruptors favored by the Myrddraal. Rushing back to their base camp, the surviving men turned around only to see the advancing army of those dreaded human-animal hybrids. Despair filled the men's hearts at the site, and all they could do was ready their guns for one last stand against the beasts.

Then a faint light shimmered.

*cue "603 no Borero"*

The light of a transporter beam. One light became many, and in an eyeblink, the first wave of Blood Ravens had beamed down to the surface. The super-soldiers turned their guns on the Trollocs, who fell under the combined power of their phaser, bolter, and tetryon weapons. In a flash of orange, gold, and blue light, the Trollocs' mangled corpses collapsed into a colossal heap. Only the Myrddraal assigned to this attack group stood, his dark sword drawn. He never had a chance to use it, however, as twenty Blood Ravens unleashed the fury of their guns into him. When it was over, all that remained of the Myrrdraal was a rapidly-cooling cloud of subatomic particles. One of the Blood Ravens, an older soldier, turned around to find himself facing towards the surviving PDF troops. The surviving troops stared in astonishment at him, as he ran over towards them. The current CO - Lieutenant Riley - stood up to face him, as he surely would want information as to the current situation. The older Blood Raven stopped right in front of the PDF troops.

"I am Captain Gabriel Angelos of the Blood Ravens' Third Company." he began. "Status?"

"Sir, forgive us." Riley said. "We did everything we could to stop the Trollocs. But we... failed." Riley and all his men kneeled. "Our lives are yours."

"You stood your ground for quite some time in the face of humanity's foes. And your retreat was only to regroup. You have done your duty. There is no reason to pledge your lives to me." Riley stood up at the news.

"Th-thank you, Sir."

"I am not here for your thanks. This starport must be held, if we are to maintain a stable line of troops and supplies from orbit to the planet's surface." Gabriel paused. "Now, what of the wounded, and the civilians?"

"Stranded, Sir. We don't exactly have a whole lot of ships here."

"Then you shall have more. All Blood Raven flights, execute General Order 23, and begin civilian evacuations."

"Yes, Captain." Another Blood Raven replied.

"Now then, we will dispatch the ground forces."

"Ground forces, sir?" Riley asked. "But the Trollocs have been defeated!" Gabriel turned to face the Lieutenant.

"This was only a paltry force. The Trollocs will return, and in greater numbers." Angelos ran back to the other Blood Ravens standing near the pile of Trolloc corpses. "Brothers, let us purge this Trolloc filth!"

Low orbit over Tartarus.

Thot Pran stepped out of the turbolift, and onto the bridge of his cruiser, the Vankelsh. An imposing figure, even among other Breen, his every decision was law in his fleet. Today, however, instead of patrolling the border, drilling for battle, or carrying out a raid on some Trolloc outpost missed during the war, he was instead parked over this human frontier world.

[Status.] he asked the helm officer. The younger Breen turned to face his superior officer.

[We are orbiting the planet Tartarus at an altitude of three thousand kilometers. Going by the naquadah concentrations, the item we seek is directly below us.]

[Excellent. Remain cloaked and at this altitude. Ready the transporters. Once we have what's down there, the Legion won't know what hit it.]

[Sir, might I point out that the planet is currently a war zone between human and Trolloc forces. Would it not be safer to wait until the fighting is over?] Pran turned to the subordinate who asked the question.

[What if the humans lose this world? I highly doubt that the Trollocs would be willing to tolerate us. Which is why we are beaming down now.]

[Understood.] Pran nodded as the helmsman returned to his duties. Pran walked over to the turbolift, and entered. On a mission this important, he would have to oversee it himself.

[Transporter room.] With a hum, the turbolift acknowledged its order, and set a course for the nearest transporter room.

Upon arriving at his destination, Pran stepped towards the transporter pad, where seven soldiers stood, waiting for him. One of the soldiers tossed him a disruptor rifle, which he caught. It wasn't until he stepped on the transporter pad that anyone asked him a question.

[Thot, what course of action should we take if the Trollocs discover us?]

[Kill them. Obviously.]

[And if the humans find us?]

[If the humans discover our opperation....] Pran paused. [Then request their assistance. We need every gun we can get if we hope to strike the Legion hard enough to hurt it.]

[Aye, sir.]

Pran turned to face the transporter operator.

[Energize.]
Last edited by Khas on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Breen. Its never simple with them is it? ;)

But hey they are only beaming down to an active battlefield where humanity is desperately fighting to save itself to seriously frack off what is sounding more and more like a freaking eldritch abomination. What could possibly go wrong?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:49 pm

The Legion isn't an Eldritch Abomination.

The Children of Adam, though, ARE.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:05 pm

Chapter Fourteen

"Now then," Angelos began, pointing at a holographic map of the battlefield. "If we are to hold the starport, we'll need to reinforce our lines here, here, and here. I've requested tanks and BattleMechs to be deployed along-"

"Sir!" another Blood Raven interrupted.

"Yes?" Angelos asked.

"We've received news that Starfleet Command has sent twelve Sydney-class starships to deliver reinforcements."

"Reinforcements?"

"Yes sir!"

"How many?"

"Twelve full companies. Eight MACO, and four Asha'man. As well as aero-fighters, tanks, and 'mechs." Angelos nodded, and smiled at the good news.

"It seems fortune favors us today. How long until they arrive?"

"About an hour sir. They're pushing their transwarp engines as fast as they can."

"Understood." Angelos replied. The Sydney-class was an older class of vessel, and considering the immense distance between Tartarus and Earth, an hour was reasonable time for their transwarp drives to deliver them to this planet. And when they would arrive, the payoff would be immense. While the Blood Ravens and Space Wolves were the Star League's super-soldiers, the MACOs outnumbered them ten thousand to one. And each MACO was worth ten normal PDF troops, both in their training, and in their equipment.

And then, there were the Asha'man. The military branch of humanity's "Channelers". People who could tap into wondrous and terrifying arcane powers, Channelers were divided into two groups in the Star League, ever since the Channeler gene first began expressing itself on a large scale in the 2160s. The first, were the civilian Channelers, the Aes Sedai - "Servants of All". These people sought to use their powers to benefit all mankind through public service. The Asha'man - "Guardians", were those Channelers who put their powers to military uses. Able to trigger and direct earthquakes, summon storms of prehistoric proportions, cause fire to rain down from the sky, and turn the trees themselves into living weapons, the Asha'man on their own were a force to be reckoned with. When paired with the firepower and technological might of the MACOs, and the skill of the Blood Ravens and Space Wolves, they were all but unstoppable.

Of course, other races had their own Channelers, which was why humanity hadn't completely dominated known space. Many wars had been averted when it became clear just how devastating the mix of advanced technology and the arcane was. Many, but not all. Thankfully, Trollocs lacked Channelers, or the devastating war that they started, which forced all of the races in known space into an alliance, would have been even more costly. They made up for this lack of Channelers with brute force, sheer numbers, the nasty habit of attacking civilian targets, and of course, the Myrddraal.

"So, what do we do until then?" Riley asked. "It's not like we can spend the whole hour with our thumbs up our asses doing nothing."

"Which is precisely why I've ordered this position to be reinforced." Angelos stated. "And set up the artillery as well. Especially along our Southern Edge.

With a high-pitched whine, the laser drill came to life, burning away the rock surrounding the desired object. Silicate vapor filled the air, and anyone exposed to it would have found the temperature in the area to be uncomfortably hot.

To the refrigeration suit-clad Breen at the site, though, it was just another day's work. The armor and advanced cryo-units in the suits prevented them from so much as noticing any of the heat coming from the site of the drill.

[How long until we're finished drilling?] Pran asked.

[Depending on the rock's density and chemical composition...] a science officer began, [anywhere between fifteen minutes and half an hour.]

[Excellent.] Pran replied. [Once we have our goal, we shall make the Legion pay for its past crimes against our people.]

[Of course, sir.] The science officer replied. [We can only hope that those demons have remembered us. And that they remember why we are after them.]

Buenos Aires

"What the hell happened there, Rand?" Mat asked. "Do they want you for some horrible experiment?"

"Not quite that bad, but close." Rand replied. "They want me to be an Eva pilot." Mat's jaw dropped.

"They want you to what?"

"You heard me."

"Well, that can't be that bad. I mean, it's not like they're going to force you to undergo anything humiliating."

"That might be preferable. I just met the commander. Turns out, he's Shinji's father."

"No."

"Yes."

"Let me guess, he's going to be doting on him the whole time, and playing favorites."

"Not likely."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I have never met anyone as cold as him." Rand began. "He dumped his own son off on Sarceron when he was really young. Does that sound like a doting parent to you?"

"Wait, what?"

"You heard me."

Mat struggled to form a reply. Until today, he wasn't sure he truly hated anyone. Sure, some people annoyed him, and others, he often wished would just go away. But he was never sure if he was capable of actually hating someone. That is, until he'd heard of Gendo Ikari.

"If what you say is true, then I do not envy you." Mat finally replied.

Rand tried to say something, but could only sigh in agreement.

"Well, it could be worse." Mat began again.

"How?"

"Well, Nynaeve could be in command. Then nobody would be safe."