Bravo Delta Zero? WTF?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
General Donner
Bridge Officer

Re: Bravo Delta Zero? WTF?

Post by General Donner » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Brunner, whoever that is, has reposted the screencapture image on another host site here. The article calls the site "Bravo Delta Zero", but the site image calls it "Bravo Delta Zulu".
-Mike
Yeah, now I can see it too.

Hm ... Well, I can say it looks genuine enough. If some guy made it up, he went to some effort getting the postcounts and such things reasonably right. Though that's not really proof, of course.

User1983
Redshirt

Post by User1983 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Yes it's genuine. The screengrab is several years old at this point so the post counts don't match.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks for the imput, Donner. I guess I'll just keep the Database entry up as is until more information is forthcoming. My only real concern is that this Brunner person posted only a screencap of the main page, and not any of the forum's threads.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Brunner wrote:Yes it's genuine. The screengrab is several years old at this point so the post counts don't match.
Would you be willing to say how you obtained it?
-Mike

User1983
Redshirt

Post by User1983 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 am

I was a member and took a screenshot. I found it on my HDD a while back and cropped out whatever could be used to ID me, because I don't particularly trust that my info would not be posted and my family and I harassed.

User1983
Redshirt

Post by User1983 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:08 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Thanks for the imput, Donner. I guess I'll just keep the Database entry up as is until more information is forthcoming. My only real concern is that this Brunner person posted only a screencap of the main page, and not any of the forum's threads.
-Mike
Unfortunately I lost most of the stuff I had saved in a HDD crash, I'm not even sure how that shot survived.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:29 am

Brunner wrote:I was a member and took a screenshot. I found it on my HDD a while back and cropped out whatever could be used to ID me, because I don't particularly trust that my info would not be posted and my family and I harassed.
I perfectly understand, Brunner. Thank you for making that admission as I think you can understand when I say that in doing so it raises your credibility here with folks that much more.
Brunner wrote: Unfortunately I lost most of the stuff I had saved in a HDD crash, I'm not even sure how that shot survived.
Too bad. Do you think you can recall enough to give us an idea of what a typical thread topic was like?
-Mike

User1983
Redshirt

Post by User1983 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:34 am

IIRC it was mostly stuff like "trekkies at (insert site)" and calls for support in debates.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Brunner wrote:I was a member and took a screenshot. I found it on my HDD a while back and cropped out whatever could be used to ID me, because I don't particularly trust that my info would not be posted and my family and I harassed.
I perfectly understand, Brunner. Thank you for making that admission as I think you can understand when I say that in doing so it raises your credibility here with folks that much more.
Brunner wrote: Unfortunately I lost most of the stuff I had saved in a HDD crash, I'm not even sure how that shot survived.
Too bad. Do you think you can recall enough to give us an idea of what a typical thread topic was like?
-Mike
are you kidding, mike? it sounds completely bogus. thanks to bill and ted for giving me a word to use that wouldn't cause me to be immediately banned again.

User1983
Redshirt

Post by User1983 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:45 am

mojo wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:
-Mike
are you kidding, mike? it sounds completely bogus. thanks to bill and ted for giving me a word to use that wouldn't cause me to be immediately banned again.
Believe it or don't, doesn't matter to me if you do.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:37 am

Brunner wrote:IIRC it was mostly stuff like "trekkies at (insert site)" and calls for support in debates.
Without giving away who you are, can you go into details on a particular incident and site?
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:06 am

Believe it or don't, doesn't matter to me if you do.
it's a damn good thing.

User1983
Redshirt

Post by User1983 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:21 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Brunner wrote:IIRC it was mostly stuff like "trekkies at (insert site)" and calls for support in debates.
Without giving away who you are, can you go into details on a particular incident and site?
-Mike
Sorry, no. The group was shut down about two years ago when Wong disappeared and probably hadn't had anything steady in it for about a year before that.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Sorry you're unable to do that, Brunner. That would have provided an interesting cross-comparison to an actual debate where this group was called to intervene in. There's a couple of possible examples I can think of where they might have. Even still it is very interesting that what you said implies that without Wong providing "leadership" the whole thing fell apart.
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 am

Brunner wrote:Sorry, no. The group was shut down about two years ago when Wong disappeared and probably hadn't had anything steady in it for about a year before that.
what a surprise.