Political Compass?

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Political Compass?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 am

WILGA wrote:I have my problems with that test.

Not only are some of these questions not unambiguous enough, but the possible answers (strongly disagree, disagree, agree, strongly agree) are weird.

What is the difference between strongly disagree and disagree or agree and strongly agree?

I always though that either I agree or I disagree and that there is no possible way to increase my agreement or disagreement.

I mean, isn't it ike pregnant or dead: Either you are pregnant or you are not pregnant. Either you are dead or you are not dead. More pregnant or more dead is not possible.

And either you agree or you disagree. But how can you strongly agree or disagree?

And again: What is the difference between strongly disagree and disagree or agree and strongly agree?

Why would you choose to strongly agree with a statement instead of simply agreeing with it or vice versa?

How can you be sure, that you do not choose a strongly agree or a strongly disagree instead of the simple agree or disagree because you feel that the topic of that statement is more important than the topic of other statements?
Soft agree: it's my current opinion, but I'm open to debate, and there may be a chance that I could be wrong.
Strong agree: i'm 200% sure what I think is true, I went over that question a million times and nothing can make me change.

The potential problem with that test is that it doesn't allow you a mid stance. You at least have to be for or against something, even if lightly, but I don't think anyone ever is really strictly halfway on a specific topic either. At best, it can happen on what? One question? If you think hard, you'll probably find yourself more on the pro or the con side.

We also need some [center] tag methinks.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:49 am

Praeothmin wrote: 2-Didn't know that, I only heard insurances were high. But still, imagine if everyone was healthy, how much more cheaper insurances costs could be...
I find that assurance prices rarely follow citizen logic. In a world where people would be much more healthy, the economical picture would likely be so different that making a comparison would require readjusting figures several times before you'd get something that begins to serve a comparison.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 am

sonofccn wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:3-Agreed, but where did these laws come from? The "right" for people to do as they please, damn be the consequences.
By taking away responsability for yourself, you get these silly laws that allow these silly lawsuits...
I would argue it was the victim mentality and the refusal to accept responsibility for ones action. So your not dying in a hospital bed with lungs riddled with cancer because you were a chain smoker since you were a wee lad its because the Tobacco Company "forced" you to take their product. Your not fat because you gobble down fast food without exercise but because Ronald Mcdonald refused to offer you a salad.
Trouble is that any human is open to addiction and decision by impulse. So although you'll wish for people to be responsible, subjecting them to potentially negative things 24/24 is not a sign of maturity from the "society" either. There are responsibilities on either side.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Just a question of: I'm willing to pay for medical bills for accidental or unavoidable health issues, but not for idiots who willingly don't take care of their health.
Well as long as 51% of the comunity agrees that is that and you can do what you wish but becareful. You may find yourself oneday on the other side of the line as what is accidental or unavoidable shift.
Praeothmin wrote:Anyway, enough derailing of the thread... :)
I believe we now both see what the other thinks clearly, and thanks for an interesting conversation (writtent though it may be)...
No problem. Thanks for talking it out with me.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
sonofccn wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:3-Agreed, but where did these laws come from? The "right" for people to do as they please, damn be the consequences.
By taking away responsability for yourself, you get these silly laws that allow these silly lawsuits...
I would argue it was the victim mentality and the refusal to accept responsibility for ones action. So your not dying in a hospital bed with lungs riddled with cancer because you were a chain smoker since you were a wee lad its because the Tobacco Company "forced" you to take their product. Your not fat because you gobble down fast food without exercise but because Ronald Mcdonald refused to offer you a salad.
Trouble is that any human is open to addiction and decision by impulse. So although you'll wish for people to be responsible, subjecting them to potentially negative things 24/24 is not a sign of maturity from the "society" either. There are responsibilities on either side.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. To me part of being an adult is to recongize said impulses and learn not to be controlled by them. A company is supposed to entice me to buy their product, I can't hold a grudge that they talk up thier product or provided the service I requested.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 pm

You're right Mr. O., there are responsabilites on both sides, but these laws take away this responsability from the individual, and place it everywhere else.

Like declaring Obesity to be an illness.
No, it's not for a majority of the Obese out there.
They're fat because they're slobs, don't eat right, don't take care of themselves, and live in a way that would make any human being Obese.
You decide not to exercise or eat right?
You deserve to be fat.
There are the exceptions, people who truly have gland issues, but they are the minority here.
I am submitted to the same negative impulses as is everyone else, yet I eat right and train to stay in shape.
Yes, I do eat the occasional McD's (though a lotmore Poutine), but that's because I'm responsible most of the time, so I know I can indulge myself.
I have a friend of can be considered Obese: He's 5'9", and weighed 260 pounds 4 months ago.
He decided he had enough, and cut down on the amount of cola he drank per day (went from 2 liters to 1 500ml bottle), and started training, only 3 times a week, an hour per training session.
He lost 20 pounds on the scale, but he lost 2 waist sizes in truth, and he started sculpting himself.
He's got a neck again, for the first time in 15 years, and he's glad about it.
He has a 50 hour a week job, and 2 kids, so I refuse to accept any excuse for not training even slightly.
And he never accused others of being responsible for his size, he knows he's the only one responsable for it.

You decide to live a certain way?
Accept all the consequences, and shut up...

Just my last two cents...

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:52 pm

Mine...

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.82

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-0.82

Approximately what I expected... I'm economically left-wing but politically right-wing, althought I won't shoot anyone beacouse he thinks differently than I do.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Re:

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Praeothmin wrote: I disagree.
I think ST has the advantage in most aspects vs SW, even though they'd lose the war, but that's normal, because I'm a leftist Creationist... :)

Oh, you're a creationist.

Gotcha.

Not that there's anything wrong with that xxxxxxxxoooooooooo but you know, that would be an interesting topic to discuss (read: debate) other than SW vs ST that actually matters in real life.

Are you a Christian? Muslim? Jew? etc.? If so, why do you believe in creationism (lots of modern religious folk believe in Evolution too)? Do you believe that your god did it? Can I believe that the Flying Spaghetti monster did it? Does your belief prevail over mine and why?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: Re:

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:

Oh, you're a creationist.
and who the fuck are you to take that type of insulting patronizing tone with preao about his beliefs...what the fuck gives you the right?

jesus christ guys like you give the rest of us Atheists a bad name

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:17 pm

I take the test and am surprised at my own results
thought I'd be more libertarian

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:10 am

I took it again, and...

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.26

http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... 0&soc=0.26

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Is the SFJ forum community becoming more conservative? None of the three new entries on the graph are down in the left-libertarian cluster that most of the old posters are in.

The scientist in me would like to say we have, at this point, very good data on SFJ's collective political leanings in terms of who actually posts here. Right now, 47% of the posts on SFJ are made by the 15 posters who have announced a political compass result in this thread. Going by the most recent entries for those 15 users, our average is (-3.54,-2.82) by users and (-4.87,-3.02) weighted by posts.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 pm

i'd say more "libertarian" then conservative as most Americans define it

then again that seems to be the trend all over not just here

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Re:

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:45 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Oh, you're a creationist.

Gotcha.

Not that there's anything wrong with that xxxxxxxxoooooooooo but you know, that would be an interesting topic to discuss (read: debate) other than SW vs ST that actually matters in real life.

Are you a Christian? Muslim? Jew? etc.? If so, why do you believe in creationism (lots of modern religious folk believe in Evolution too)? Do you believe that your god did it? Can I believe that the Flying Spaghetti monster did it? Does your belief prevail over mine and why?
Actually, I'm not...
I simply wrote what Mike Wong believes, that all who disagree with him in the ST vs SW debate must be creationists...

And you may believe in whatever you wish, I truly do not care, as we live in a free world...
Unless you try to make me believe the Flying Spaghetti monster has 200 Gt guns without evidence... :)