Political Compass?

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:51 pm

2046 wrote:(Should I use this thread as proof I'm centrist next time SDNers claim I'm a neo-con?)
No, to them, you are the Devil incarnate, and everyone knows that the Devil is a right-winger... :)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: Political Compass?

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm bringing this thread back to attention because in my private correspondence with Serafina, I have challenged her to actually survey the political diversity of SDN via a similar thread rather than simply claim it has political diversity. A comparison to SFJ being inevitable in such an event, I figured I may as well bump the thread now.

I am evidently in a particularly sour mood today (or particularly hungry), for I wound up scoring a somewhat more extreme result than when this thread was originally active, namely (-8.75,-9.08). Either that, or the compass has shifted slightly in the last couple of years.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:28 am

Here's my redo. No real drastic change, I scored 9.00/ 3.08 compared to my old score of 8.50/3.74. so I'm still the resident crazed rightwinger! ;)

As to SDN I'd be curious to see thier results if they actually go through with it.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re:

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:49 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Mine
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.56

But I must say that certain questions are extremely poorly formulated, as you don't really know if you're supposed to agree with a statement as an observation, or a statement as "it should be this way".
Besides, sometimes, you just don't know, and there's no middle ground.
Of course, in politics, the more topics have to addressed, the less are the opportunities not to reply. You're often forced to take sides.

There also are questions which are really worth some chatter here btw.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printab ... &soc=-2.97
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97

Haha. come back in ten years and I'll be sporting a small square mustache under the nose.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:13 am

It's been a while since I've seen this.

I'll give it another go.

Economic: -5.50
Social: -4.67

Up from, or down from depending on your view, -4.88/-3.28 previously.

Looks like I've drifted a little to the left of where I was. As before, it's mostly due to "Strongly Agreeing" with certain things.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Mine:
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

I'm close to Ghandi and Nelson Mandela...
Funny, because I stronly believe in the "kick in the pants" method of dispensing justice... :)

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm a fan of the test for some of the misconceptions (Hitler was left-wing, for example) it seeks to correct, but my problem is that it doesn't address some categories as fully as it could. Race issues are touched on only briefly. Gun rights aren't touched on at all (I know the test's writers are European, but still)

In light of that, how would you formulate your own Political Compass test questions?

I'd like to see one like this:

"Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation is wrong, regardless of whether said discrimination is beneficial. Agree/Disagree?"

I would agree, which would invalidate things like hate crime laws and affirmative action. I move to the right a bit. Equality is actually a pretty frightening proposition, because it requires giving up beneficial discrimination. Frankly, I don't believe two people can be perfectly evenly qualified for a position. That's why we have job interviews. It's the job of the interviewer to determine which applicant is more qualified from temperament, life experience, whatever. And I do believe there is far too much racial sensitivity. There is no such thing as "our word." No group can annex portions of the lexicon, and my rights do not change based on the color of the skin of whomever I may be talking with.

Or try something like this:

"If rights are inalienable, then the rights of a minority, no matter how small, cannot be subject to the vote of a majority. Agree/Disagree?"

Pretty much lifted this from Ayn Rand. This question would flummox right- and left-wing partizans alike. Gay marriage bans? Right out. Handgun bans? Gone. Voter approved referendums that rescind rights of any kind? Invalid. That questions would get a Strongly Agree from me. The limits of democracy are reached where the rights of minorities are concerned. In my view, people who complain about "the will of the people being violated" miss the point. The will of the people is fickle, easily influenced by fear or sensationalism. When people ask "doesn't the will of the voters count?" If that will would deny others their rights, then no. No it doesn't.

Anyway, what Political Compass questions would you write?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 am

"Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation is wrong, regardless of whether said discrimination is beneficial. Agree/Disagree?"
Throw me into the strongly agree side as well on this one.
"If rights are inalienable, then the rights of a minority, no matter how small, cannot be subject to the vote of a majority. Agree/Disagree?"
Here's the sticky wicket. In the general sense I would throw my hat towards the agree side, that is you can not deprive a minority of thier right to a speedy trail, to worship or speak thier mind( through I don't have to provide a soapbox for them) or to keep and bear arms simply because they are a minority. Moving towards specifics I forsee much arguing over what actually constitutes a right. I for one wouldn't agree all your examples are inalienable rights to start with nor do I doubt someone from the opposing camp would find similar logic.
The will of the people is fickle, easily influenced by fear or sensationalism.
While I agree its a balancing act requiring checks and balances as well as a good, moral populace please remember the goverment serves the people. It is not there to guide us or show us the true path it is there to carry out our whims/ wishes.
Anyway, what Political Compass questions would you write?
Me? I'd add this:

You are justified in meddling in other people's lives and buisness as long as your means are noble. Agree/Disagree

Me? I want to live my life as I see fit. If that means chain smoking while devouring platefull after platefull of scrambled eggs and bacon lathered in grease so be it. If it means making the concious decision that I'd rather not wear my seatbelt so be it. If that means I invest my money and time into fast food resturants which serve fattening foods so be it. Frankly I think the world would be a better place if all the dogooder nanny busybody types were all shot out into the deepest reaches of space where they can preen over themselves and insiste that they all eat a healthy balanced meal while putting foam rubber on all the sharp corners so they don't hurt themselves.
Last edited by sonofccn on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:48 am

Praeothmin wrote:Mine:
Your political compass

Funny, because I stronly believe in the "kick in the pants" method of dispensing justice... :)
I find these tend to be very US centric and don't translate well to Canadians.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:26 pm

sonofccn wrote: Me? I'd add this:

You are justified in meddling in other people's lives and buisness as long as your means are noble. Agree/Disagree

Me? I want to live my life as I see fit. If that means chain smoking while devouring platefull after platefull of scrambled eggs and bacon lathered in grease so be it. If it means making the concious decision that I'd rather not wear my seatbelt so be it. If that means I invest my money and time into fast food resturants which serve fattening foods so be it. Frankly I think the world would be a better place if all the dogooder nanny busybody types were all shot out into the deepest reaches of space where they can preen over themselves and insiste that they all eat a healthy balanced meal while putting foam rubber on all the sharp corners so they don't hurt themselves.
Problem is, your bad choices cost ME a lot of money because Health care costs more, insurances are higher, and dumb people are allowed to WASTE MY TAXES using the judicial system to sue McDonalds who they blame for their FAT LARD ASS because they're just too fucking lazy to move a bit, and are just too dumb to eat right and they want to blame someone else for their stupidity...

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:27 pm

The Dude wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:Mine:
Your political compass

I find these tend to be very US centric and don't translate well to Canadians.
So true.
Even us "dirty Quebecers" are closer in thought patterns to Canadians then we'd ever be to US citizens...

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:33 pm

lol

Asking me what I think we should do about illegal immigrants; "uh, do we have them? Let them stay I guess. I don't care."

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:03 pm

The Dude wrote:lol

Asking me what I think we should do about illegal immigrants; "uh, do we have them? Let them stay I guess. I don't care."
Uh, are they terrorists?
They say they aren't?
Then make'em legal, so they can work and pay taxes like everyone else... Except for the natives... ;)

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Yeah, better shove those guys as far north as we can get 'em. Maybe let them have cheap booze and smokes, so they don't bother us.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:58 pm

sonofccn wrote:While I agree its a balancing act requiring checks and balances as well as a good, moral populace please remember the goverment serves the people. It is not there to guide us or show us the true path it is there to carry out our whims/ wishes.
That's true to a point. The balancing act is tricky, but in my view subjecting minority rights to a majority vote undermines the promise of inalienability made by the Founders. I can offer this from Jefferson:

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."--Thomas Jefferson, 1801.

Now the reason I consider gay marriage a right is not only because statutes banning it violate the Establishment Clause, but because they also violate substantive Due Process under the 14th Amendment, as well as a man's inalienable right to pursuit of happiness. I offer this evidence: In the 1967 case Loving Vs. Virginia, which invalidated all miscegenation statutes, Chief Justice Earl Warren wrote in his majority opinion that:

"These statutes also deprive the Lovings of liberty without due process of law in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men."

Loving Vs. Virginia was also cited by Vaughn Walker when he overturned Proposition 8. Obviously, the jury (figuratively) is still out on that one. We'll just have to wait and see.
sonofccn wrote:You are justified in meddling in other people's lives and buisness as long as your means are noble. Agree/Disagree
Means, as well as intent, correct? This is fascinating, because we're both formulating questions in a way we think supports our position. However, I can use that same argument in favor of things I consider to be rights. For example, even if the government's or majority's intentions are noble, such as arresting moral decay or preventing outright human extinction (a long shot argument, but it's made nonetheless) such nobility cannot justify their intrusion into the private lives of citizens wishing to marry those of the same sex.