Political Compass?

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
sonofccn
Starship Captain

Re: Political Compass?

Post by sonofccn » Sat May 11, 2013 12:57 am

Khas wrote:I wouldn't say the Islamic subversions are the most dangerous. It's pretty much a toss-up between the Christian and Islamic right.
This puts me in a bit of an awkward position. On the one hand this is necromancy of an argument that should stay dead. On the other you have disparagingly spoken towards a group I could very easily be included in with being proudly rightwing and, however poorly, a Christian, as well as being far more likely to agree with the "religious right" than say you, which, for obvious reasons, doesn't sit well.

Then there is the descriptor "right" attached to "Islamic right". By which criteria is fundamental Islam "rightwing"? Are we talking within American left-right or European? They are certainly religious but so was the left back during early half of the 20th, and certainly are no less...determined or believing in their new more secular beliefs than before, when they justified collectivism under Christ's teachings.

Ultimately to each his own opinion of course, merely voicing my disagreement as I have done instead of engaging in a drawn out argument which won't change anyone's opinions may be the most effective, time-conscious option. Of course I yield to you the right for any continuation. I certainly don't want to stifle your ability to speak your mind or just slip in and shout something and then slip away before you can rebuttal.
2046 wrote:Among Britons, in addition to age and gender, there seems to be a left and right component to Trek vs. Wars preference.

I can imagine that some of this appearance is just age but not all, given my own observations. So why would statists prefer Star Wars?
Odd. Just off my gut I'd have thought it would the reverse. The OT is more heroic old world fantasy concerning an "old fashion" contest between good and evil while the ,24th century at least, Federation is more of a Progressive's dream State.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat May 11, 2013 2:07 am

Well, perhaps I should have been clearer with what I meant. When I say "Christian Right", or "Islamic Right", I normally mean "Religious Extremists", as they tend to have very reactionary views when it comes to their faith.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue May 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Khas wrote:Well, perhaps I should have been clearer with what I meant. When I say "Christian Right", or "Islamic Right", I normally mean "Religious Extremists", as they tend to have very reactionary views when it comes to their faith.
Well ultimately it is your prerogative through if you are using "reactionary" as in protection of the status quo I would argue, in relation to the Left-Right schism, its a relative matter. Within the American Left-Right there are concepts and institutions which we both wish to preserve and dispose of. Indeed save for Tzeentchian advocates of change for change sake any group or sect, however radical, would have to become "reactionary" to protect their advances.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue May 14, 2013 2:50 pm

I meant the groups who want to impose Biblical morality - even the nasty parts - on the country. You know, the "fire and brimstone" preachers and such.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue May 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Khas wrote:I meant the groups who want to impose Biblical morality - even the nasty parts - on the country. You know, the "fire and brimstone" preachers and such.
Fair enough, I think we both can agree Religious extremist are an issue.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed May 15, 2013 2:36 pm

sonofccn wrote:
Khas wrote:I meant the groups who want to impose Biblical morality - even the nasty parts - on the country. You know, the "fire and brimstone" preachers and such.
Fair enough, I think we both can agree Religious extremist are an issue.
And not just religious extremes... any kind of extremes is issue.
2046 wrote:Among Britons, in addition to age and gender, there seems to be a left and right component to Trek vs. Wars preference.

I can imagine that some of this appearance is just age but not all, given my own observations. So why would statists prefer Star Wars?
I'm economically left, politically right, and I prefer Star Trek.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Someone brought this up again on another forum, so thread revive!

I have drifted a slight touch left, which seems rather odd. In any case, remember the below when they tell you Tea Party folks are loony anti-gubment right-wingers:

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.36

I never made dead center on the left/right before. Score!

Now continue posting, Commies and Monarchists!

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:38 am

Eh, why not, looks like a fun way to come back in following the forum being salvaged.... Speaking of which, I'm not seeing this on the Board index » Discussion and Debate » Other list. I also seem to recall this thread being longer than 2 pages when I very first spied it right before the down time. It seems some things may not have come through the transition completely unscathed.

Well, here's mine at any rate.

Economic 1.63
Social -1.03

HA! Call me a fence rider will ya? I'll call it a near bullseye! Dangit 2046, you've got better aim. :P

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:59 pm

Darth Spock wrote:Eh, why not, looks like a fun way to come back in following the forum being salvaged.... Speaking of which, I'm not seeing this on the Board index » Discussion and Debate » Other list. I also seem to recall this thread being longer than 2 pages when I very first spied it right before the down time. It seems some things may not have come through the transition completely unscathed.
Hm. I think you may be right.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:24 am

This tool isn't really useful. I haven't had enough time to verify question by question how the score is calculated, but it is absolutely obvious that depending on the political view of someone, the same answer could very well be seen as leftist or rightist.
With a few trials, I noticed that my understanding of the political orientation of my answers and how I knew where they came from, I was more than puzzled as to where I got placed. I tried full left and full right series of answers as much as I could and didn't exactly get a result in lane with the overall bias I was following for each series of heavily orientated answers.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:06 pm

Pardoning the necro, but . . . saw someone elsewhere post a compass and tried my hand at it again. I am now a stark raving commie compared to prior efforts.

Kidding aside, I've supposedly drifted a bit more left and a bit more authoritarian, but still exceedingly close to dead-center. Notably, it's about a .65 drift in both axes since a 2015 test I noted at Flare.

Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.31

https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... 3&soc=0.31

For kicks, I also did a "binary run" where every answer was given "strongly" . . . at which point I landed 0.88 to the right (a mere 1.4 swing) with no change in authoritarianism.