Diablo 3

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

Diablo 3

Post by l33telboi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:16 pm

Don't know how many fans of the original games there are here. But Blizzard announced Diablo 3 today, and it looks quite awesome. Here's a link to the cinematic trailer, and here's the web page.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:28 pm

What's cool with Blizzard, from a versus perspective, is that they do the crossoevers on their own.

After Aliens, Predator and Warhammer 40000, Diablo debuts at Minas Tirith, features the armies of Mordor and Isengard combined, and in the end, you fight a buffed up Balrog.

Just so much originality at once, I can't cope with it. Please help.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:04 pm

Warcraft and Starcraft are both games that rely heavily on common stereotypes used in both fantasy and science fiction. But Diablo never really did that, indeed it's the most original of all the three game franchises. Still based firmly in a fantasy setting, of course, which means you'll have some commonality with other fantasy settings, but overall quite different from other stuff.

I don't think it's fair to compare Diablo to a Balrog either, I mean Diablo has had that same basic look ever since the first Diablo game came out a long long time ago. And while I don't claim to know a lot about Lord of the Rings, I've heard that the appearance of the Balrog in the movie wasn't quite what many fans wanted. In essence, Diablo was first. :p