Arthur C. Clarke Passes Away at 90 Years Old

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Arthur C. Clarke Passes Away at 90 Years Old

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:53 am

Science fiction legend and author Arthur C. Clarke has died today

Let us take time to remember the great man who helped bring us 2001: A Space Odyssey and classic stories like "Childhood's End", and invented the concept of the geostationary satellite. There are few like him, and he will be missed.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:27 pm

I feel like Arthur C. Clarke is to Science-Fiction as what J.R.R. Tolkien is to Fantasy: two of the greatest influential authors in their respective genres...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:21 pm

Dang. That really sucks.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Praeothmin wrote:I feel like Arthur C. Clarke is to Science-Fiction as what J.R.R. Tolkien is to Fantasy: two of the greatest influential authors in their respective genres...
While Clarke was a giant in the field of science fiction literature, the titular title of "the J.R.R. Tolkien of SF" belongs rightfully to the late great Frank Herbert for his Dune Chronicles, in particular, the original Dune.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:07 pm

IMO, Clarke and Asimov were in a league to themselves as giants more or less defining the "hard" SF genre. Many also include the monstrously-well-selling Heinlein in a "big three."

That's not to say that Herbert isn't a giant in his own right, and some would prefer to put him rather than Heinlein in the three greatest-stature giants, but he doesn't really have quite the influence or reach that Clarke does.

KILL YOUR PARENTS
Padawan

Post by KILL YOUR PARENTS » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 pm

Praeothmin wrote:I feel like Arthur C. Clarke is to Science-Fiction as what J.R.R. Tolkien is to Fantasy: two of the greatest influential authors in their respective genres...
Of course, the obvious difference between the two is that Clarke could write worth a damn, and not just a world-builder.