Mathematics and clickbaits

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Mathematics and clickbaits

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Was lost on youtube, like so many other people. Ended on a list of videos, including one titled "How to Subtract By Adding".
One might have expected some mathematic magic. All it boils down to is still using substractions combined to a trick of removing digits from the result because essentially it's exploiting a feature of using a base 10 numeral system. Or, as an analogy, if your ten numbers were on a circle, you could either go from 0 to 9 by adding, or go the other way round.
Still, the worst offender here is one titled "How to count past infinity". I haven't clicked on it, I just copied the link because I couldn't care less about whatever they try to peddle for more than twenty minutes of my precious time. Either that's just a greasy clickbait or the author truly belives that kind of nonsense and therefore shows a very poor understanding of what infinity truly entails.

EDIT: I had mispelled the name of the second video.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starship Captain

Re: Mathematics and clickbaits

Post by 2046 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:25 am