Your take on Jim McCanney's stuff

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Your take on Jim McCanney's stuff

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:39 am

His site (someone please redo his site for free, it's ugly like crap!)

Some talk about the guy.

Some more talk.

I have to say, it's always enjoyable stuff like that. I can't say if it's right or wrong, and seriously, I don't know the guy, but if he's right, then a good load of the "powerful" instituations on this planet may go down sooner than later, their people with them.

My critical mind tell me that he seems to make quite good points, and state openly things which are wrong about various heavy systems put in place by people of power, systems which seem as unbulgable as USSR's own bureaucratic institutions were.

So new age of shit or shazzam sensationalism?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:04 pm

Dude. Seriously?

Even his site design screams "loony-tunes", and the content isn't much better. Not only are people who claim to be able to beat the NHC predictions a dime a dozen, but the guy says he's had trouble trying to secretly build a full-scale Tesla tower because of all the people following him. No doubt he's trying to hurry, though, since he thinks Planet X will be passing by in a few years, no doubt sucking our atmosphere away and cracking the moon to unleash an era of superscience like the opening credits of Thundarr the Barbarian. Except you have to listen to the opening backwards in order to know that Paul is dead.

Ugh.

The guy's clearly nuts, and I'm alarmed that you don't think so. What points did he make that impressed you, praytell?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:25 pm

I agree the website is awful looking, and that's coming from me.
2046 wrote:Not only are people who claim to be able to beat the NHC predictions a dime a dozen, but the guy says he's had trouble trying to secretly build a full-scale Tesla tower because of all the people following him.
It's hard to secretly build a giant funny looking tower without people noticing...

... especially if you're working on a small budget

While it may make good popular science copy, he really doesn't strike me as very convincing in his presentation. If he actually has been making successful predictions as he claims to, and also not making many failed predictions, it might be worth wading through the garbage to find out what the actual correlation he's using is.

However, giving dates for "extreme weather events" is something that's not so easily falsifiable; there's an extreme weather event somewhere on the globe almost every week.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:12 pm

2046 wrote:Dude. Seriously?

Even his site design screams "loony-tunes", and the content isn't much better. Not only are people who claim to be able to beat the NHC predictions a dime a dozen, but the guy says he's had trouble trying to secretly build a full-scale Tesla tower because of all the people following him. No doubt he's trying to hurry, though, since he thinks Planet X will be passing by in a few years, no doubt sucking our atmosphere away and cracking the moon to unleash an era of superscience like the opening credits of Thundarr the Barbarian. Except you have to listen to the opening backwards in order to know that Paul is dead.

Ugh.

The guy's clearly nuts, and I'm alarmed that you don't think so. What points did he make that impressed you, praytell?
Well, websites design apart (we can't really say that SFJN is a piece of art either, sorry Spock ;)), it's above all a mixed bag. The result of a fast reading on my part, quick glimpses here and there. I don't know much regarding the deep science which would need to be explored to deunk his nuemrous and noisy claims (plasma physics, weather, astronomy, electro-magnetism, etc.).
He did catch my attention with his claims of "spot on" weather forecasts, those about NASA backpedalling with their erratic and considered dubious SOHO shots, saying they were reworking data samples and whatever, apparently as he's looking at the content the agency provides rather frequently, and has seen them alter stuff.
Now, I can't verify his claims of data alteration, but the things about the hurricanes forming over cold zones, that was rather interesting.
I wanted to verify if he simply didn't misname the storm occuring on the North East coast as to further his argument and decades old "cleverly predicted" science.
Well, apparently, all authorities name that hurricane just that, a hurricane. Or storm 90L. Not a nor'easter or a polar low.
Maybe he's being particularily anal on a term that is misused because of lazyness and convenience by weather people, and uses this as more proof for his side?
The satellite picture he provides shows that hurricane moving at a latitude of 25-30.
A couple of sources I checked report that it's above the usual formation regions for hurricanes. My mind tells me that it's very rare, but not necessarily impossible.
Now comes the temperature of the waters in december, at those latitudes... and I won't bother.

The real problem on his page, is that he says he predicted all the stuff to the minute, but does not provide a link to these claims at all. I realize late that we just have his word here, and I can't be bothered to go through more of this yellow stuff that makes my eyes bleed. There might be an archived page on this site where it's listed, but it's not up to me to find it.
For a science dude using internet, I find his anchoring and linking skills dramatically lacking, and not really smart for someone who seems to know that a lot depends on the presentation and data availability.

There's also that NASA covering claim. For example, pointing to a shot of SOHO provided by NASA, apparently showing the trail of a comet not blown in the right direction, as trails should be blown away from suns.

Essentially, what also bothers me a lot is the lemon coloured typo stacked upon a blue background, and the abundance of capslocks. This generally doesn't strike me as serious, nor stable, but others sites had more moderate presentation of the guy's interventions and works, which lured me and had me look for more, but I admit I didn't get that far at all either, which I should probably have to avoid looking stoopid.

The issue here is that his words strike a chord when he speaks about the scholars and Ph.D people keeping certain views in check, and there should not be any necessary demonstration that sciences, in many domains, had to be modified, or literally reworked, to reconsider certain elements viewed as wrong or impossible, or simply not envisionned beforehand.
He's probably surfing on that dark age persecutive "science gestapo" wave, that is, by waving the menace of the massive appeal to authority, or authorities in that case.

The thing is that there often is a more or less small amount of truth behind the weirdest stuff. The hard point is to see where it starts and where it ends.

I pushed the research on the guy a little bit further, and learned a good deal about him, about how apparently he doesn't even give credits to the minds behind the (unfounded?) theories he uses.

I didn't go far on his site, which I should have before posting this. I didn't check the Planet X stuff, and even the name irritates me. I was holding my breath (not for the good reasons), cheeks under tension, when reading the word "Atlantis". Uh-huh.
I didn't think he was that serious about it. I thought it was just sensationalism, just like a big neon.
I dug the thing a bit I saw the Kolbrin bible. When I read bible, I thought "oh no...". Not knowing what that was, though, and possibly considering that it was just an image and not so literal, I looked around, and learned that it was some mystical book tying sciences with *cough* creationism and intelligent design. Okaaayy...
I have an open mind, I'm ready to listen to some crazy stuff from time to time, but that's way too much.
Maybe it's just a good way to attract the other audience for his book. I particularily love the "proof" of laser guided hurricanes, then tells us he can't provide videos because they keep being removed, but has all the evidence in the book. Sure, I'd rather see a video than fixed screencaps on a page. Somehow, I don't expect to see the video in the book. :)

Of course, the problem is that even if he was right, since he's a loose electron, his financial abilities would be extremely limited, and he'd have to find money somewhere.
Which in turns forces him to make his page look like marketing ploys.

Ah buggers, nevermind. I'm sorry for the disturbance. I thought there may have been something interesting to look at.