IDF to Syria & Russia: w00t, j00 g0t pWn3d!!!!1

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Starship Captain

IDF to Syria & Russia: w00t, j00 g0t pWn3d!!!!1

Post by 2046 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:34 am

According to Aviation Week, the recent Israeli strike against Syria's nuclear program may have made use of a system akin to "Suter", a US-developed electronic warfare suite.

I'd never heard of Suter, but what I'm seeing suggests it is quite extraordinary.

"The technology allows users to invade communications networks, see what enemy sensors see and even take over as systems administrator so sensors can be manipulated into positions so that approaching aircraft can’t be seen, they say. The process involves locating enemy emitters with great precision and then directing data streams into them that can include false targets and misleading messages algorithms that allow a number of activities including control."

Elsewhere, I found:

"A series of Suter programs explored the ability to pipe data streams -- embedded with specialized algorithms -- into enemy communications networks without being detected. The portals into the network are found by precisely locating antennas (as aiming points for the data streams) whether they are part of an air defense system or a hand-held communications device linked to others in an ad hoc tactical network for a small insurgent team." (Source)

One would presume that these algorithms would have to be developed 'by hand' for the specific target devices in question, presumably with intel developed from captured devices or other means . . . otherwise this is like some sort of frickin' warfare cheat code.

("w00t, i h4v3 root 0n 1r4n1aN /\/\1l1t4ry!!!!!1111shift+1 . . .

mv airdefense crapper"

(With apologies to "haxor economist" (I'm tired of typing l33t))

This certainly provides a certain measure of defensibility for Trek computer security breaches, though. Real-world military example, ahoy! ;)

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Re: IDF to Syria & Russia: w00t, j00 g0t pWn3d!!!!1

Post by l33telboi » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:53 am

2046 wrote:I'm tired of typing l33t
It's quite alright. Carry on.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:49 am

Heh, oops. Sorry.