Obergefell v. Hodges

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
sonofccn
Starship Captain

Obergefell v. Hodges

Post by sonofccn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:01 pm

The verdict.

Now I doubt I need to elaborate my views or opinions on the decision so instead I'll merely ask what you think comes next. Are we now on our way to a new age of tolerance and love, a stronger and more just nation, where dogmatic imbecility and irrational hatreds can at last be shed or is this the precipice to something more dark? A divided nation were more bakeries and pizza shops will shunned and demonized for their personal beliefs? A nation where marriage is at the least open to debate to be widened for further inclusion?

The Twentieth Century planted some interesting seeds and I suppose it is now time for us to reap the fruit.

At least until Cowboys like myself, too old and obstinate to ever keep up with this "fluid" time, build our rocketship and set off to colonize Saturn for morally correct, affluent people ruled over by Pastor Richards. Because that will show everyone! ;)

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Re: Obergefell v. Hodges

Post by Cocytus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:08 am

Honestly, a few years ago I would have been cheering. I'm still happy about this particular issue, both because I'm socially more libertarian and because it takes it off the table for 2016.

But over the last few years my opinions have moved dramatically. I admit, I voted for Obama largely out of anger at the excesses of the Bush administration, and a desire to see some movement on the social issues I held dear. I saw no movement on some, and much of the movement I have seen has been through the Supreme Court (which is out of his control, since he's only managed to replace liberal justices) and at the state level. I also see what I view as a feckless, impotent foreign policy from a president who desires to appear pensive but comes off as vacillating. Worse still, the race relations his presidency were supposed to mend are worse than ever.

But he is merely a small part of a larger narrative. Leftism, I've come to conclude, is the single most dangerous thing on this earth. It's political power depends on a steady stream of perpetually aggrieved victims. The left has almost total control of our education system, and the Orwellian garbage they fill our students' heads with is terrifying. Read the latest sensitivity guidelines from the UC system, courtesy of Obama's lackey Janet Napolitano. Marvel at the ludicrous debacle of the UVA rape case. Be awed by the UC Irvine student body trying to remove the American flag. Leftism runs on outrage, and it has created an environment where disagreement is met not with debate, but with hurled epithets of "racist" and "sexist." The left loves to delude itself about being peaceful and nonviolent. It is anything but. I look at the legions of young people, people barely any younger than me, and I'm terrified of them. People seething with hatred and anger for their own country. People so thin-skinned they will fly into apoplectic paroxysms at the slightest offense. People who see themselves as The Future, who are utterly assured of their moral and intellectual superiority, and who view everyone with the temerity to disagree as old fogies who need to get with it, or worse, as less than human.

I fear for the future of a civilized society. The cup the leftists fill choose to fill has no bottom. There is no detente, no compromise, no truce, and no peace. And age of tolerance? I suspect a new Reign of Terror is more likely.

*somewhat rambling I admit, but you asked what people thought we were headed for. I don't think it's going to be pretty.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:25 am

To be fair, the far right is just as dangerous as the far left. Go too far to the left, and we get things like the French and Russian Revolutions. Too far to the right, and we get things like the Spanish Inquisition, and the crusades. They both force uniformity, but in different ways. I personally think the left and the right are in a contest to see who can be the most idiotic, but that's just my personal view. It's hippies vs hicks. Whoever wins, we lose. Do you want to be branded "racist" or "heretic" for disagreeing with the whole? Really, the only difference is which one they label you.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:14 pm

For me, it's still sinking in that the court decided this. I strongly approve.

Those of us who watch these things closely already expected that justices Breyer, Ginsburg, Kagan, and Sotomayor would line up to say that Loving v. Virginia and Lawrence v. Texas set strong precedents for requiring gay marriage to be legal. Breyer & Ginsburg have a long record pointing towards that course of action.

While recent appointees, Kagan & Sotomayor are arguably to the left of Breyer.

We also already expected that Scalia, Alito, & Thomas would all line up to say that marriage was originally defined as a man-woman union.

The question has been which way Kennedy & Roberts would decide to go. Roberts has been the most liberal out of the court's four conservative justices; Kennedy has been a wildly unpredictable swing vote.

AFAIK, the median prediction by experts was Kennedy breaking left on this as in Lawrence v. Texas, and on Roberts staying with the conservative side of the court. It's a very new moment in terms of policy; but not in terms of how the Supreme Court acts, or even how any of the justices act.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:51 pm

Cogytus: Imagine the chillingz you'd get when being surrounded by the bodysnatchers. :D

Oh. Teh Hax! Cheatorz! Such faces! Such beauty!
Enjoy the medication fellas. :P

Jesus can lick my balls too, btw.