A car that doubles as a generator

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Lucky
Jedi Master

A car that doubles as a generator

Post by Lucky » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:50 am

http://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota-say ... -2014-ces/
Toyota says its next hydrogen-powered car will travel 300 miles on a single tank of hydrogen and accelerate quicker than the second-generation Prius. The yet-unnamed, Corolla-sized fuel-cell vehicle—the concept on which the production model will be based on is called FCV, and debuted at the Tokyo auto show—will launch in 2015. At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Toyota said the production version of the FCV would reach 60 mph in “about 10 seconds” and could power a home for a week when used as a generator.
http://www.toyota-global.com/innovation ... _vehicle/
The Toyota FC Stack has a power output density of 3 kW/L, more than twice that of the current "Toyota FCHV-adv" FC Stack, and an output of at least 100 kW. In addition, the FC system is equipped with Toyota's high-efficiency boost converter. Increasing the voltage has made it possible to reduce the size of the motor and the number of fuel cells, leading to a smaller system offering enhanced performance at reduced cost.
Fully fueled, the vehicle can provide enough electricity to meet the daily needs of an average Japanese home (10 kWh) for more than one week.
I find the idea of a fuel Cell powered car that can power your house very interesting, and useful.

I can see people wanting to purchase only the fuel cells. It might be a viable solution to powering buildings in the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: A car that doubles as a generator

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:54 pm

This might become very fancy in Alaska.
Now, as always with those stories about burning hydrogen, one must look at the efficiency of this design. But I don't think we need to worry much, there would be no plan to sell this unless it was rather convincing enough. Any marketing ploy wouldn't hold for a month and would be a disaster for the firm.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: A car that doubles as a generator

Post by Lucky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:46 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:This might become very fancy in Alaska.
Now, as always with those stories about burning hydrogen, one must look at the efficiency of this design. But I don't think we need to worry much, there would be no plan to sell this unless it was rather convincing enough. Any marketing ploy wouldn't hold for a month and would be a disaster for the firm.
California seems to have hydrogen fueling stations. Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars have been in the works for years now, but this is the first I've heard of anyone also making the car a portable generator.

I know that a lot of people would love to be able to at least power their heater or AC if the power goes out.