New ST series in the work...

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

New ST series in the work...

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Have any of you read or heard about this before?

A new ST series starring Worf, son of Mogh?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: New ST series in the work...

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 am

Im'pec will have a cameo played by Ahnuld!

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am

Nah, hadn't heard this. It does sound interesting. Thanks
Admiral Breetai wrote:Im'pec will have a cameo played by Ahnuld!
I actually was thinking of Alexander Rozhenko when I saw this. ;)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu May 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Yesssss, Ahnuld as Im'Pec...

Or Big Show...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu May 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Yesssss, Ahnuld as Im'Pec...

Or Big Show...
Show can act..and he likes hamming it up

hmm Martok and Im'pec hamming it up

Worf' glaring at everyone
sonofccn wrote:
I actually was thinking of Alexander Rozhenko when I saw this. ;)[/quote]

"Oh father, the greatest decision you ever made was to send me to live with your human parents, I say this because it's given me a unique insight into Klingon culture, one that I'll be making good use of during my time in service to our house brother Drex"

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Honestly, while ST: Federation sounds good and typical of Trek, ST: Captain Worf seems to me like the equivalent of K-9 to Doctor Who. And yet, perhaps it they brought a little bit of corniness into it, TOS style, they may use Worf's odd manners in order to carry some plots which wouldn't be suited for drinking Earl grey.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:37 pm

Would be interesting. Reminds me, more than anything else, of how Takei was all gung-ho for a series starring him as captain of the Excelsior.

I have a feeling a Worf project would not be appealing to a very wide audience, but would be well received among fans unless they botched it. As the article mentions, Worf's presence in two different series means Worf is in more episodes of Star Trek than any other character in the franchise; and there's a loyal Klingon fan community.

The current state of the Trek IP seems like a major obstacle.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:16 pm

*Does a double-take*

JMS, you're alive!
You're alive! O_O

Where the hell have you been? :-)
JMS wrote:I have a feeling a Worf project would not be appealing to a very wide audience, but would be well received among fans unless they botched it. As the article mentions, Worf's presence in two different series means Worf is in more episodes of Star Trek than any other character in the franchise; and there's a loyal Klingon fan community.
I would definitely watch that show...
I can easily imagine Worf's work, rebuilding the war-torn Federation, quelling Border skirmishes, taking care of smugglers, using his new Defiant-Class ship, the USS-Im 'Pec, its hull a silvery gleam... :)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm sorry, but Worf is boring. By the end of DS9 they seemed hard pressed to write him anymore. It was tortured soul this, honor that, and he sort of went to a one-note character.

Dorn could carry a show, I just don't think Worf could.

A Sulu show would've been fine, except for the aspect of treading on TNG territory . . . doing a long-term prequel well is very tricky, and doing a pre-sequel would be inordinately so. Enterprise did okay in retrospect, though there were quite a few bobbles . . . but a Sulu show? Yeek.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:58 am

2046 wrote:I'm sorry, but Worf is boring. By the end of DS9 they seemed hard pressed to write him anymore. It was tortured soul this, honor that, and he sort of went to a one-note character.

A Sulu show would've been fine, except for the aspect of treading on TNG territory . . . doing a long-term prequel well is very tricky, and doing a pre-sequel would be inordinately so. Enterprise did okay in retrospect, though there were quite a few bobbles . . . but a Sulu show? Yeek.
agreed. worf is boooooriiiiing. he does bring some comic relief to pretty much every episode of star trek he appears in, though, when he gets spanked by the villain of the week in order to build that villain's credibility as a genuine threat. maybe the premise of the new show will be worf accidentally crashing his ship into other ships with such force that he goes pinballing all over the galaxy smashing into things.

you know what would have been infinitely better? a show about worf in which he is the captain of a KLINGON starship. i would put that on my dvr.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Praeothmin wrote:*Does a double-take*

JMS, you're alive!
You're alive! O_O

Where the hell have you been? :-)
Busy. Very busy. It happens.
mojo wrote:
2046 wrote:I'm sorry, but Worf is boring. By the end of DS9 they seemed hard pressed to write him anymore. It was tortured soul this, honor that, and he sort of went to a one-note character.

agreed. worf is boooooriiiiing. he does bring some comic relief to pretty much every episode of star trek he appears in, though, when he gets spanked by the villain of the week in order to build that villain's credibility as a genuine threat. maybe the premise of the new show will be worf accidentally crashing his ship into other ships with such force that he goes pinballing all over the galaxy smashing into things.

you know what would have been infinitely better? a show about worf in which he is the captain of a KLINGON starship. i would put that on my dvr.
That would play directly to the Klingon fans. Worf has had a sort of complicated dual citizenship thing going on.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:15 pm

If they do this at all, it should be done as a web series, not a full-blown TV series, posting it to YouTube and Netflicks. That way, they can target the narrow audience without having to worry about the Nielson ratings that a major television network series would.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:51 pm

I don't agree with the false Trekkies who say Worf is boring... ;-)

Worf, if written correctly, as the main character, can be very interesting...
At least, I find him interesting in my idealized version of the character... :-)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Worf... is the makeup enough for the lack of the character's charisma?

I'd rather watch a show of two Klingon cops patrolling the neutral zone border and enforcing the law their way, the Klingon way.

Tsh'ips, that would be funny.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:21 am

Good one! :)