Going to San Francisco...

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Going to San Francisco...

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:21 am

On a business trip.
I'm arriving saturday afternoon, and will have a car at my disposal.
I only have saturday pm and sunday to visit.

What do you recommend?
How should I proceed?
What's the best thing to see?
Should I also go to San Jose?

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Ride a trolly and visit the beach.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:45 pm

I think theres a Gato class sub at the waterfront. I'd take the chance to check that out.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:03 pm

Having only a day and a half doesn't leave a lot of room to go see the really good stuff. You might want to keep things to the obvious, like the Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz Island, Japantown or Chinatown. If you had the time, you could look up locations used in ST4:TVH, or that might be the future site for Starfleet Headquarters. :-)
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:08 pm

Thanks for the suggstions.
I'll see what gets my fancy...

I might go up to a cop and ask him if "he knows vere the nucle-arrr wessels arr..." :)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:13 am

Wow!

I'm back from my little sightseeing trip.
It was really nice.

I found a parking garage right in the middle of the "interesting square".
Corner of Columbus and Filbert street.
Went down to Chinatown, took some interesting pictures.
On one street (really on the street, they were blocking it) was a "Dragon Head" dance, with fireworks and everything.
Took a few pictures of the architecture, really nice buildings.

Then I went up to the Northbeach area, I really didn't take any pictures, but I mainly looked at the buildings.
It's not that I never went to a big city, but the architecture is really different from that of Montreal, and worlds apart from Quebec's.
Worth seeing.

I then proceeded on to the Fisherman's piers, where I saw the sea lions, took a picture of Alcatraz from afar, looked once again at the architecture.

I continued forward to "Ghirardelli Square", where I stopped at the candy store...
I had to buy some chocolate...
Finally chose to buy a big coffee mug full of chocolate squares.
Since I'm pretty sure I won't have the right to cross the border with this, I think I may have to eat them all before I leave...

On my way back to the car, I stopped by Lombard street to take a few pictures of this really nice zig-zagging street.
Once I got to my car, after a 2 1/2 hours of walking up and down the streets (and contrary to popular vernacular, in SF you really walk up or down a street... ), I then took a ride near the Presidio park, saw the Palace of Fine Arts Exploratorium, drove by the Golden Gate bridge, and through the Golden Gate park farther down.

I then veered back towards Oakland, and came back to my Hotel in Newark (the job I'm going is in Newark, thus why I stay there).

All in all, a very nice sightseeing trip.
If I had been with someone, I might've pushed a bit up north to go see the Redwood trees in person.
I guess they'll have to wait for another trip...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:43 pm

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip, and I hope that you'll be able to revisit there with a lot more time to go and see everything. :-)
-Mike