Gay rights; what's your opinion?

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.

What say ye?

All the way up to and including same-sex marriage/adoption
100%
Same-sex marriage but no adoption
No votes
It's okay behind closed doors, but they shouldn't marry
No votes
It's immoral and against God, but I'll tolerate it
No votes
Intolerably immoral, shouldn't be allowed at all.
No votes

Total votes: 9

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Gay rights; what's your opinion?

Post by Narsil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:55 pm

Remember this kettle of fish? Let's open it.

I'm all for same-sex couples marrying and same sex couples adopting children, personally. If they're happy, it isn't hurting anyone* and it isn't non-consensual, then naturally they should go for it.

*consensual BDSM doesn't count under the 'no hurting rule'

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:33 pm

I'm with the Canadian government, all the same rights as straight couples. Anything less is an absolute disgrace.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:39 pm

I don't know enough about the topic to be able to say for sure. But if no one is being being hurt then naturally it's ok, so marriage is definetly a go in my opinion.

But adopting children? My oh my. Something tells me that this would be different. Will the child suffer if it doesn't grow up in a normal family? I don't know. Like i said, i don't know enough about the topic to say anything.

But if i were gay and in a same-sex relationship, i wouldn't adopt. Something tells me that the whole psychological dimension to a family will be severely different in a same-sex marriage, and thus it would affect the kid. In a bad way? I wouldn't know. But different is usually frowned upon in the real world. And what's frowned upon also usually suffers.

In the end everyone decides for themselves. And i wouldn't have anymore of say about another persons life then they would have about mine. So it's all good i suppose. Unless there are real concrete downsides to bringing up a kid in a same-sex relationship.

Problem with a topic like this is that i wouldn't expect any real unbiased studies to be made on it.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 am

l33telboi wrote:I don't know enough about the topic to be able to say for sure. But if no one is being being hurt then naturally it's ok, so marriage is definetly a go in my opinion.

But adopting children? My oh my. Something tells me that this would be different. Will the child suffer if it doesn't grow up in a normal family? I don't know. Like i said, i don't know enough about the topic to say anything.

But if i were gay and in a same-sex relationship, i wouldn't adopt. Something tells me that the whole psychological dimension to a family will be severely different in a same-sex marriage, and thus it would affect the kid. In a bad way? I wouldn't know. But different is usually frowned upon in the real world. And what's frowned upon also usually suffers.

In the end everyone decides for themselves. And i wouldn't have anymore of say about another persons life then they would have about mine. So it's all good i suppose. Unless there are real concrete downsides to bringing up a kid in a same-sex relationship.

Problem with a topic like this is that i wouldn't expect any real unbiased studies to be made on it.
My first reaction upon reading this was an urge to explode about how just because it would be different doesn't mean it's bad and blah blah blah.. but that would really be no different from your reaction. You had an instinctive reaction to the idea of gay parenting and then I had an instinctive reaction to your instinctive reaction. That's the problem with this whole topic and anything related to sexuality or religion or politics - instinctive reactions are really all we have to go on since we've been proving for 6,000 years of recorded history that we certainly cannot make decisions regarding these things based on logic.

My instant reaction is that no harm would be done to a child in any situation in which he/she grows up with enough love.. but you made a good point when you mentioned that it's outside sources who would do the damage based on prejudice.. so wtf do I know?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:37 pm

Funny circular reasoning that we're in.

Having homosexuals rising a child will put said child through all sorts of problems in this society, as people are not open to this idea, and not willing to talk about it.

But since the situation is locked, homosexuals will never get the possibility to show if they can manage it or not without prejudice for the child, in the societal context.

I think at some point, you just need to dismiss a large pan of the opinion and force rights based on certain principles such as tolerance and love.