Deadly Incident At Utah Mine Rescue Operation

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Deadly Incident At Utah Mine Rescue Operation

Post by Cpl Kendall » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:15 pm

CTV.CA
Rescue operation at Utah mine takes deadly turn

Updated Fri. Aug. 17 2007 11:33 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Efforts to free six trapped miners in Utah have been suspended after three rescue workers were killed and six were injured late Thursday.

Officials believe the workers were caught in a "mountain bump," where a seismic shift causes coal and rock to shoot from the walls.

No official cause of death has been given, however, for those killed on Thursday night.

Those who survived the Thursday collapse have injuries ranging from broken bones to head and internal injuries, CNN's Kate Bolduan told CTV Newsnet on Friday.

She said there are more questions than answers about what will happen next in the rescue efforts for the six miners trapped on Aug. 6. when the shaft they were working in collapsed.

The miners are believed to be 600 metres underground, and rescuers have so far tunneled about 300 metres in.

"So they were about halfway there when this seismic bump occurred. But we're not quite told yet when or if that underground effort will continue," Bolduan said, from the Crandall Canyon mine near Huntington, Utah.

"We are told that the fourth drill hole that they were working on, officials have said that that will continue, but it's unclear when that will happen."

Since the miners were first trapped, rescuers have been delayed by tremors, and more seismic shaking interfered with rescue attempts Thursday morning.

"The seismic activity underground has just been relentless," Bob Murray, chief of Murray Energy Corp., the co-owner and operator of the Crandall Canyon Mine, said Thursday.

"The mountain is still alive, the mountain is still moving and we cannot endanger the rescue workers as we drive toward these trapped miners."

Crews have drilled small holes towards the miners, but are still uncertain whether they're alive.

Hopes were raised Wednesday night when officials detected vibrations -- possibly caused by the miners.

A camera dropped into the mine showed images of an intact chamber with potentially breathable air, but no sign of survivors.

Rescue workers can use the holes to pump oxygen into the mine and -- if the miners are found -- deliver food and water.

With files from The Associated Press
Please Add Comments(5)

Charlie
Maybe we should be looking at the alternatives...why do people have to work in such unsafe work surroundings, plus maybe we should just leave the earth as it is, and stop taking from it!

Maybe we should take a look at how people lived their lives in the Olden Days where there was no electricity, or gas. We consume too much from our earth, and I think it's time to leave it alone! I send my thoughts and empathetic emotion to the family and friends of the trapped miners!

ars1984
Perhaps in the future, science should develop an autonomous robot to do the work that is too hazardous for humans, such as this.

K.
It is so sad to see three people lose their lives in an attempt to save others. I really hope that it was not in vain. I hope that rescue workers will now focus more on establishing whether or not anyone is alive down there instead of just getting down because it is not worth losing more lives if the miners have already passed.

jerry
To Charlie - You're using electricity to power your house and to run your PC. When you live by what you preach then maybe you'll get some respect.
I've included the comments section for comedy value.