How much is worth and old PC???

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

How much is worth and old PC???

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:35 pm

Hey guys, the goal of this thread is simple:
I bought myself a new PC *drool*... :)
It's incredibly way better then my old one *drool again*, although it's not an end-of-the-world-ultra-powerful PC, it's an Intel Dual core Duo 2 1.8GHz, with 1 GHz RAM and a cool graphic card.

Now, my friend wants to buy my old PC from me, and I want to make him a great deal (he's a great friend after all).
Do any of you know how much the following PC (only the PC box with screen, no keyboard, no mouse or printer):
Athlon XP 1600 (1.39GHz processor)
GeForce 2 32Megs video card
SoundBlaster 128 PCI card.
CD writer/reader
DVD player
And a lot of dust (but I'd thought I'd throw the dust in for free... :) ).

So, how much?

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:02 pm

I'd go one better and donate it to one of those PC for Kids charities, should be one in your area. They then give it to a needy child in the area.

Starship Captain

Re: How much is worth and old PC???

Post by 2046 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Praeothmin wrote: Now, my friend wants to buy my old PC from me, and I want to make him a great deal (he's a great friend after all).
Do any of you know how much the following PC (only the PC box with screen, no keyboard, no mouse or printer):
Athlon XP 1600 (1.39GHz processor)
GeForce 2 32Megs video card
SoundBlaster 128 PCI card.
CD writer/reader
DVD player
And a lot of dust (but I'd thought I'd throw the dust in for free... :) ).

So, how much?
A great deal? $100 U.S. or so. I'd value the machine at somewhere in the 150-200 range . . . a smidgen higher with the accessories. But that's just a ballpark, just guesstimating based on 256MB RAM and a 40-80 gig HD. If they're not in there then I'd go lower with the valuation, though you could get away with leaving the price the same. $100 is just about as low as you ought to go with a computer worth selling anyway.

The SoundBlaster is a nice touch, and the 32MB GeForce helps but isn't great . . . it's an improvement over whatever they slap on the motherboard. He could get a new barebones Dell box with 1-yr warranty for something like $400 with a gig of RAM and a 160GB SATA drive, slap in a decently-pimpin' video card for 100-150, and call it a day for about $550. Then he'd have a decent machine for the average user/gamer that would last awhile.

But that's another $350-400 over the valuation of your machine, money which I presume is the most important factor in his assessment.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks, both of you.

Cpl Kendall, I like your idea, but I think my friend's old computer could be donated.
It still works well enough for everyday use (E-mails, working on word, excel, i.e. office or school work).

2046, thanks for the estimate.
I forgot to say the Pc has 512 MHz RAM and a 40 Gig hard drive, and the 17" monitor.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:39 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Thanks, both of you.

Cpl Kendall, I like your idea, but I think my friend's old computer could be donated.
It still works well enough for everyday use (E-mails, working on word, excel, i.e. office or school work).
That's cool, we donated one that was six years old and they were happy to have it. After all a child really doesn't need it for games but for school work and access to the net and maybe email.