Double Barrel Firearms The Modern Storm Bolter

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Double Barrel Firearms The Modern Storm Bolter

Post by Lucky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 am

http://www.gizmag.com/arsenal-firearms- ... tol/21806/

This just caught my eye. I was wondering if anyone knew the advantages and disadvantages of such a design?
Last edited by Lucky on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Double Barrel 1911 The Modern Storm Bolter

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38 pm

You already get double the recoil.
If one bullet can't penetrate, now two will fail at once.
One bullet does plenty of damage against flesh. The second one is too close to make much of a difference.
Since it's not a full auto, the added density of round per shot can't be exploited for, say, spray and pray.
When all added and averaged, we get less efficiency per bullet then.
It also means less bullets for one cannon per clip.
The firearm is obviously heavier. You better use that mass for bigger clips or actually bigger guns which focus one firing on better bullet.

Final tally: Flashy C.R.A.P.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:19 pm

I've heard of double-stack 1911s, but that is ridiculous. Apparently Arsenal Firearms wanted to commemorate the 1911, and came up with this. The grip looks obnoxiously wide, which is funny since I find the grips on your average 1911 too small for my hands. A double stack just feels better. What really bothers me is the trigger. Arsenal's writeup says they offered two independent triggers or a single joined trigger. But since the slide is a single machined piece, what difference would the trigger make? The extraction mechanism would be throwing away two casings every time. The only difference is whether it tosses two empty casings or one empty and one live bullet. I have to give them credit for the claimed interchangeability of parts with those of standard 1911s, but at the end of the day, this is little more than a niche conversation piece, which purpose is more than adequately served by my Desert Eagle, thank you. For home defense, the Beretta 92FS is my go-to.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:56 am

Useless? Probably.

Freakin' sweet? Absolutely.

Yeah, it won't penetrate any further unless by some miracle the bullets end up trying to do an arrow-splitting routine, but who cares? As seriously as one should take having any handgun pulled on them, this thing and the Desert Eagle rank even higher in the underwear-stain categories.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:21 am

2046 wrote:Useless? Probably.

Yeah, it won't penetrate any further unless by some miracle the bullets end up trying to do an arrow-splitting routine, but who cares? As seriously as one should take having any handgun pulled on them, this thing and the Desert Eagle rank even higher in the underwear-stain categories.
The Desert Eagle does have a mean looking business end, but speaking strictly from my own experience, I can't imagine someone carrying it as a self-defense sidearm. The weight and length complicate acquiring the sight picture. Granted, I'm talking fractions of a second here, but if someone uses those fractions of a second to get a shot off with a .380, well... The other issue with its design is the floating magazine. Since the mag rides around in the well somewhat, it's possible to actually cause a feed error by pushing on the base of the magazine, which can prevent the top cartridge from being stripped off the mag, causing the weapon to lock open as if it were empty. I'm pretty much the only gun guy among my friends, and several of them have had this happen when shooting it.

From the point of view of criminals, they'd be constantly rummaging in their sweatpants to maneuver it around their junk. Even if it could be visually concealed, its size would magnify all the little tells that broadcast that someone is carrying a concealed weapon.

What they should do with this 1911 is have a way of actually disabling the feed mechanism on either side, enabling the user to switch between single fire and dual fire. It could function in a manner similar to the Kel-Tec KSG shotgun, where each mag could be loaded with a different ammunition and the user could cycle between either or both. Ideally, this could defang any questions of excessive force in a self-defense situation (another issue with the Desert Eagle, especially in .50 AE) Load one mag with a standard load, and the other with a high-power +P. Shoot him once, he doesn't fall. He's on PCP or whatever. Switch to mag 2, shoot him again, or switch to dual fire and make damn sure.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:29 am

Yes, that's pretty much the only use, the emulation of some kind of setting based on ammo type. Pretty sure you could achieve it with one barrel though, just switching from different clips.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 am

2046 wrote:Useless? Probably.

There is a assault rifle that is suppose to do the arrow splitting thing called the AN-94.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/an-94-abakan-e.html

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: Double Barrel Firearms The Modern Storm Bolter

Post by Lucky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:34 am

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012 ... om-israel/

I thought this idea was shelved with the Olin/Winchester Salvo Rifle?

Am I correct in thinking you will be hit with hot brass? This seems like it would work best with a design that directs the casings downward like the Kel-Tec KSG, or used case less ammunition.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Double Barrel Firearms The Modern Storm Bolter

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Not enough barrels, son.