Starcraft 2

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

Starcraft 2

Post by l33telboi » Sun May 20, 2007 6:28 am

So, yesterday Blizzard informed the world that they were in the process of making Starcraft 2 and even released some interesting pics, gamefootage and information. All which can be found on the homepage.

As a former Starcraft fan i'm happy to read that this isn't an MMO of some form (which was rumoured before the release). Gameplay at this point seems to be largely the same as before, with a new engine that apparently is quite tough. Graphics are a bit too cartoony, but the animation and lighting is superb.

Of course that could be completly moot since the game isn't even in alpha stages yet.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun May 20, 2007 12:37 pm

As a starcraft fan I can't wait for the sequal. As long as they stick to the tried and true formula of RTS and away from warcrafts III rpg junk I'm definatly getting this game.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun May 20, 2007 1:06 pm

The press release seems to imply that they will keep the gameplay of Starcraft and Warcraft separate. So no heroes or such in Starcraft.

CrippledVulture
Bridge Officer

Post by CrippledVulture » Sun May 20, 2007 3:54 pm

What made Starcraft so cool was that (as far as I know) was the first RTS in which the various factions played very differently with respect to the game mechanics and infrastructure. I'm looking forward to the next one.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Mon May 21, 2007 7:19 am

For those who are interested and haven't seen the clips of the game in action here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylDyZEUiwBg

Shocked the hell out of me when the giant worms popped out of the ground in part two or three IIRC. :)

Looks like a blast of a game to play but I hope they tone protoss down a bit because they really were owning until the very end.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Mon May 21, 2007 7:25 am

Looks like they'll go in a direction away from WCIII (which was crap as an RTS) and remove stupid stuff like unit selection cap. That's sound good so far.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Mon May 21, 2007 7:28 am

Nonamer wrote:Looks like they'll go in a direction away from WCIII (which was crap as an RTS) and remove stupid stuff like unit selection cap. That's sound good so far.
I believe it was already confirmed that the unitcap is going to be removed.

CrippledVulture
Bridge Officer

Post by CrippledVulture » Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Nonamer wrote:Looks like they'll go in a direction away from WCIII (which was crap as an RTS) and remove stupid stuff like unit selection cap. That's sound good so far.
I don't know if that's such a huge concern. By and large, the Protoss units always were better than the others. It's just that you have to play a better game as far as infrastructure in order to field them. They had the best units, but most people still did not play them. I trust them with the design, they did just fine last time.