New York City Soda Ban

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Cocytus
Jedi Knight

New York City Soda Ban

Post by Cocytus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:52 am

You've all probably seen this.

You know, as what I would describe as a center-leftist, I think the government should have some sensible role to play in keeping people healthy.

This is NOT that.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47681942#.T82Z6NVta0c

I get that, as the mayor and a billionaire, Bloomberg may, shall we say, "roll with a different crowd" than most of his constituents, but it's as if he hasn't been to the city he's mayor of. New York, like any of the world's great cities, has its share of famous food, and the food it's famous for isn't exactly leafy greens in a light balsamic vinaigrette. Ever ordered half a goddamned cow's worth of corned beef from a Jewish deli? A 6-inch tall slice of cheesecake slathered in rich syrup? A giant-ass hot dog? A sandwich stuffed with Boar's Head deliciousness from one of the delis that never closes?. Practically every serving of everything in New York is huge, unless you want to pay more for a thimble full of pretentious designer food. And since Bloomy himself admits that anyone could just buy two drinks, what in the hell is this ban going to accomplish?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: New York City Soda Ban

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:53 am

Cocytus wrote:You've all probably seen this.

You know, as what I would describe as a center-leftist, I think the government should have some sensible role to play in keeping people healthy.

This is NOT that.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47681942#.T82Z6NVta0c

I get that, as the mayor and a billionaire, Bloomberg may, shall we say, "roll with a different crowd" than most of his constituents, but it's as if he hasn't been to the city he's mayor of. New York, like any of the world's great cities, has its share of famous food, and the food it's famous for isn't exactly leafy greens in a light balsamic vinaigrette. Ever ordered half a goddamned cow's worth of corned beef from a Jewish deli? A 6-inch tall slice of cheesecake slathered in rich syrup? A giant-ass hot dog? A sandwich stuffed with Boar's Head deliciousness from one of the delis that never closes?. Practically every serving of everything in New York is huge, unless you want to pay more for a thimble full of pretentious designer food. And since Bloomy himself admits that anyone could just buy two drinks, what in the hell is this ban going to accomplish?
God, the amount of money that's going to be wasted on those silly lawsuits when there are FAR MORE important things to do.
Like hang bankers by their testes and halt the debt clock y'know.

User6556
Redshirt

Post by User6556 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:33 pm

Really? I mean, this isn't going to stop anyone from drinking the large amounts of Soda that they do. They'll simply get more than one drink now. It might curb things SLIGHTLY, but it's not the way to get people to drink more healthy drinks.

Though really, if it passes in New York, then it's going to set the bad example that it "can work in other states."

I have no clue what New York is thinking with this.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:44 am

it will only set the example of 'working' if it works. which it won't.

i can sort of see the idea, you know, the other day i had some japanese at the mall and my meal came with this HUGE cup of soda. like, comically large. i took this thing home and the cup actually held an entire 2 liter bottle of soda. now, that's too much soda.

but noone forced me to buy it, then drink the entire thing just to know if i could do it, and then be sick long into the night. that was my own stupid ass, and if someone had said to me, 'you are not legally allowed to purchase a cup of soda equal to a 2 liter bottle', i would have immediately walked 5 steps to the left and purchased a 2 liter bottle instead, and then consumed that. because i am an american, goddammit, and i will kill myself using the exact methods that doctors try so very hard to warn me against. i spent my high school years drinking, until i ended up with alcohol poisoning and couldn't take the taste anymore. i spent the years from 14-32 smoking, until the price was raised so high that it became literally impossible to continue, and i have always eaten and drank whatever the fuck is put in front of me, regardless of whether or not it is actually a 'food' or a 'beverage'.

america, fuck yeah!

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:47 am

This just in: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo introduces bill to decriminalize possession of up to 25 grams of marijuana.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-0 ... f-pot.html

Bloomberg is on board.
Bloomberg is ON BOARD. You can't make this stuff up.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:57 am

The mayor's proposal would change the city's administrative code, giving the health department the power to levy fines on most restaurants, movie theaters, food carts and delis that sell sugary soft drinks larger than 16 ounces.
16 oz cups are the smallest size you can get at my local fast food joints. Such a law would certain shake things up for McDonald's and Burger King.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:10 am

Lucky wrote:
The mayor's proposal would change the city's administrative code, giving the health department the power to levy fines on most restaurants, movie theaters, food carts and delis that sell sugary soft drinks larger than 16 ounces.
16 oz cups are the smallest size you can get at my local fast food joints. Such a law would certain shake things up for McDonald's and Burger King.
They'd just make things more expensive or manage to have you consume more than you wanted.

User2531
Redshirt

Post by User2531 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:01 pm

soda has no benefits to the human body, seems detrimental

humans eat way too much variety of unnecessary foods as it is, but lol 'its all in the name of business', as long as their WALLETS are FATTENED...bhlabhbaabhl

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:08 pm

I personally liked the daily show segment on this... demonstrating how the soda will cost you more than an equal amount of pot in the same cup.

Got to love the legal system!

Nowhereman10
Bridge Officer

Post by Nowhereman10 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 pm

This is typical of Bloomberg and his nannystatist crap. It won't help anything, and it'll probably only bring in a slight bit more of tax revenue, since that's probably what he's really aiming for here.