Lifting "The Last Starfighter"

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.

What do you think about a CGI updated edition?

Where do I sign? A Star League Starfighter! Satisfy my appetite for full modern CGI spacebattle p0rn!
75%
Bleh... no thanks. It was good then, it's still good now. Why fix what ain't broken dude?
25%

Total votes: 4

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Lifting "The Last Starfighter"

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:35 pm

I hope you all remember that film from the 80s.

So, let's say that 25th Anniversary Edition is planned for 2009.

The original version will be included in the DVD pack, but the Universal execs up there are wondering about putting up a new version, with all the CGI work revamped. A big shiny update.

So basically, the film keeps all the stuff that made it good back then, but all the 3D imagery is redone with contemporary techniques.
Then a "crap grain & blur filter" is added to emulate the 80s' film overall look, though the original pictures could also go through some bit of cleaning like Star Wars did, to make the white whiter, the black blacker, to reduce the black outlines and so forth.

Eventually, a few other original effects, which were done through the old ways, could be enhanced and refined a bit, but not too much.
Maybe a few gizmos could be added in 3D on the base's screens, or in the background to add more "stuff".

However, the Starfighter arcade game would not be updated, nor would the Starcar. I was thinking more about things that may look cheap and not change anything dramatically, like the white cone which Beta ran into with the pickup before exploding.

So, well, what do you think? Would you wish to see this edition be made?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Would you wish to see this edition be made?
He** yeah!

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:40 pm

I'd see it.

You're an exec at Universal, aren't you.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:10 am

GStone wrote:I'd see it.

You're an exec at Universal, aren't you.
I ain't probing SF circles. I swear.
:)