Rest in Peace, Kurt Vonnegut

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
CrippledVulture
Bridge Officer

Rest in Peace, Kurt Vonnegut

Post by CrippledVulture » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:59 am

I remember when he was on the Daily Show once, and the topic of natural disasters came up, this having been right after Katrina and the Tsunami, and he said something to the effect of "I think the planet is trying to get rid of us, and it should. We're terrible animals."

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:22 pm

There are a few science fiction writers so visionary, timely, and literarily capable that even an English department can't ignore them, as they do most science fiction.

When we talk about science fiction being edgy and addressing contemporary issues, Vonnegut is one of the giants there as well. I think history will be kinder to Vonnegut than it will be to most of us.

CrippledVulture
Bridge Officer

Post by CrippledVulture » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:15 am

I know so many people who say they don't really like science fiction. I don't know anyone who doesn't like Vonnegut's work.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Re: Rest in Peace, Kurt Vonnegut

Post by watchdog » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:06 am

CrippledVulture wrote:I remember when he was on the Daily Show once, and the topic of natural disasters came up, this having been right after Katrina and the Tsunami, and he said something to the effect of "I think the planet is trying to get rid of us, and it should. We're terrible animals."
I really like that for some reason :D

CrippledVulture
Bridge Officer

Post by CrippledVulture » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:06 am

I thought it an appropriate way to eulogize him.