Split: Libel Law

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Cock_Knocker
Bridge Officer

Post by Cock_Knocker » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:21 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:Cpl Kendall,
  1. You have missed my point.
    When I have read his posts and seen his video, I have wondered, if such insulting is really allowed in the USA under the freedom of speech. And I have learned, that even in the USA the freedom of speech has its limits like in every other civilised nation.
Nothing in any of my videos have vilolated any laws, and all of your strawmen won't change that. I can express my opinion openly, and have no fear of goose-stepping browncoats coming to take me away.
[*]Although I am appalled that someone can demean oneself to such a low level with which one is only showing the own primitiveness and savageness, it's not me, that is insulted.
So it is "primitive and savage" to mock idiots? I detest cowards who think insulting someone in a "civilized" manner (which is what you're doing here) is any different.
[*]Even if it would be me, that is insulted, I have enough self-assurance that the cheap insultings of someone, who apparently is not able to behave like an intelligent grownup couldn't disturb me.
Which is why you constantly obsess on the topic, attempting to marry anything I've said to the most heinous "crimes" you can dig out of daddy's "Blacks Law Book." What disturbs me is ex-SDN posters who were thrown out on their ear for being insufferable morons that just can't let it go. Then, they try to elevate their relatively low-rung standing on these boards by trying to bring down Wong and that big meanie Poe.
[*]I pity you, if you really think, that he »has the balls to do something«. To insult someone via internet is not brave. It is - in my opinion - a sign of cowardice and it is dishonorable.
Yet its the height of manliness to do the exact same thing in a pussified miss manners sort of way. The difference between me and you is, I'm not afraid to express myself openly, and tell you exactly what I'm thinking. Most simpering cowards will cling to the style over substance folly of, "Ooh! he used bad words! Where the principal so could tell?" Real life doesn't work that way, Hans.
[*]The members of SDN don't mock only Darkstar. They insult many people if they have another opinion, even Star Wars authors.
We mock stupid people, as you came to find out in your case as well. We mock anyone who exhibits moronic qualities we deem worthy of note. And we do so freely and openly because we can, and no misapplication of any idiotic laws you can Google will change that. Don't like it? Quit reading SDN.
But they insult also believers and politicans and other people. They use the internet to say things, they wouldn't say to these people face to face.
Try me. You seem to think I've never spoken to someone like this in real life for some reason. In other words, calling me a pussy, but in a friendly way. That's the height of cowardice to me.
[*]It was not surprising to me, that I was banned.
It wasn't a surprise to us, either Morons don't last long there.
I have expected it and it is irrlevant. I have had already a second account
So you can cowardly lurk on a board you have no obsession over. Gotcha.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:45 pm

You are correct. What I have said could have been conceived as an insult. I beg your pardon. That was uncalled for.

But I really think, that it only reveals the own primitiveness and savageness, if one start to insult other people. It's a sign, that one is not able to argue in a civilized manner.

With my words, I merely wanted to express my resentment about your deliberate show of disrespect of other human beings if you consider them as stupid or moronic.

Even someone who is - in your opinion - not educated or stupid deserves a minimum of respect. Such people are not able to help that they are not intelligent enough or didn't have the chance to study. That doesn't mean that they are second class persons and it is uncalled for to insult them for something they can't help.
    • I know, now you want to counter, that, if they have no clue, they should shut up. But that is wrong. Even if they have no clue, they are entitled to have an opinion. And they don't want to have only the opinion they shall have - according to you. They want to understand it. And if you are not able to explain your opinion in a way, that they can follow your explanation, you are the one doing something wrong. Explain it to them, that they can understand it. If you are not able to do it, accept your failing. If you are not willing to do it, don't insult them.

I have nearly every day to do with people who have not studied, what I have studied and therefore have no clue from things, that are already selfevident for me. Nevertheless, I stay polite and try to explain it to them in a way, that they can follow my explanation. I don't think, that they are stupid. I have studied four years to know and understand the things, I can do today. I can't expect from them, that they can unterstand it in a few minutes or with only a few word. Sometimes it is time-consuming to explain something to someone, who has no clue from what you are speaking. But if I fail to explain something to them, it's usually my mistake.
But the main question is, what qualifies you to decide, who is stupid or moronic. You don't decide on the basis of objective criteria. As far as I have observed it, you decide that everybody who is not your opinion is stupid or moronic.

Or do you really think, that Karen Traviss, an author that has written at least seven Star Wars novels, is stupid or moronic? How many Star Wars novels have you written? Maybe she has not studied science. But it doesn't seem that she is stupid. She merely has another opinion than you and you was not able to convince her.

Or do you really think, that Jedi Master Spock is stupid and not able to understand, what he reads? You can have another opinion. You can think, that he is dishonest if he doesn't conceed to your wisdom. But I can't see how you could think, that he is stupid or moronic.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:15 am

Cpl Kendall wrote:All the rest aside, do you know why we mock Darkstar? It's not because he's a trekkie but because he's a trekkie whose obsessed with SDN to an unhealthy level.
So *that's* why you guys still talk about me all the time, despite the oft-ignored moratorium on talking about me! (Sometimes the talk is even if only to explicitly note that I have neglected to talk about you guys in SDN-centric threads here. Funny that a group would even need a moratorium on talking about someone if that someone talking about the group was the problem, and not vice versa, but whatever.)

And clearly, my obsession must be why there's been nothing blogged about SDN since May, around the time of the Poe Detente.

Fantastic! I'd been wondering how loony-tunes I was. Thanks for clearing it up by bringing me up in a thread in which I was not a participant or topic of the November discussion.

Cock_Knocker
Bridge Officer

Post by Cock_Knocker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:35 am

2046 wrote:And clearly, my obsession must be why there's been nothing blogged about SDN since May, around the time of the Poe Detente.
Shit. This reminds me that I forgot to put the "Darkstar Database" back up after "The Last Bastion" wrapped.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:53 am

Just a general note to everybody: I'm noticing the levels of tension and hostility in this thread rise, and I would like it very much if it went back down. In particular, I am looking at 2046 and Cock_Knocker, who I am aware have a prior history with one another.

I would also like to address one point in particular, however, though it may not improve the mood of this thread. Insisting on polite debate is avoiding style over substance arguments. When you engage in ad hominems frequently, it becomes your argument. You rely upon style (vicious attacks) rather than substance.

It also decreases productivity. When you're rude and insult one another, and spend time attacking one another's character, that takes away from constructive debate three times.

Once, because in the time you could have been making material argument, you were instead spending time coming up with and producing non-constructive ad hominem attacks.

Twice, because your opponent is likely to either respond in kind or begin ignoring you, taking away from the time he or she spends providing you with material argument to work against.

Thrice, because both of you are liable to lose track of the original argument was about and derail into an entirely different topic.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:30 am

Cock_Knocker wrote:
2046 wrote:And clearly, my obsession must be why there's been nothing blogged about SDN since May, around the time of the Poe Detente.
Shit. This reminds me that I forgot to put the "Darkstar Database" back up after "The Last Bastion" wrapped.
Huh.

Edit: "Brief Poe Detente"

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:48 am

Brief, like the hundred year war was brief. It was all smoke and mirrors to get some civility going, while he was polishing his film making techniques and getting feedback. I knew there was a reason for taking it down.

Cock_Knocker
Bridge Officer

Post by Cock_Knocker » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:02 am

2046 wrote:Huh.

Edit: "Brief Poe Detente"
Ah, don't worry. I'm so fuckin' lazy I probably won't have it back up any time soon, if at all.

...I can be uncivil to myself here, can't I?

Roondar
Jedi Knight

Post by Roondar » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:13 am

Meh. Let people insult all they like. All they accomplish is proving their inability to make their argument stand on its own merrits.

Attacking the man behind the argument is simply a show of incompetence.