Liberals vs Conservatives: History

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
General Donner
Bridge Officer

Re: Liberals vs Conservatives: History

Post by General Donner » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:06 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Here are a list of questions. Try and answer whether it was conservatives or liberals that fit the answer.

1. Which side supported slavery?

2. Which side opposed womans' rights?

3. Which side opposed labor laws?

4. Which side supported the spoils system?

5. Which side opposed Civil Rights?

6. Which side opposes gay marriage?

7. Which side contains all the fundies?

8. Which side is the KKK on?

9. Which side is the westbro bapist church on?

10. Which side has lower average IQ's?
1 through 8: Conservatives.

8, 9: If I have to pick one, conservatives. It's a bit of a false dilemma though, since these groups don't really support either, but are violently opposed to more or less the entire spectrum of mainstream American politics.

10: This I have no data on at present.

Oh, and I'm a strong conservative, BTW.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 pm

In the history of American politics, there has been one consistent trend in place and that is that conservatives are always wrong. They were wrong about slavery, wrong about opposing civil rights, woman's suffrage, labor laws, social security and they will be looked upon as wrong for opposing gay marriage and stem cell research. The ultimate Conservative power, the Medieval Roman Catholic Church, was wrong about whether the fucking Earth revolved around the Sun or not.

And don't be the dumbass that confuses political party with political ideology.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:18 am

lol good lord SWST you really are desperate to be right and get a rise aren't you?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:11 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:In the history of American politics, there has been one consistent trend in place and that is that conservatives are always wrong. They were wrong about slavery, wrong about opposing civil rights, woman's suffrage, labor laws, social security and they will be looked upon as wrong for opposing gay marriage and stem cell research. The ultimate Conservative power, the Medieval Roman Catholic Church, was wrong about whether the fucking Earth revolved around the Sun or not.

And don't be the dumbass that confuses political party with political ideology.
swst.. i'm confused.. you know i believe in you, but i'm starting to hear whispers all over the board. people are saying that you have realized that you've lost the wars/trek debate and now you're importing other debates from sdn. they give as evidence the fact that you are creating new threads without even dealing with this:
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:I'll respond to JMS's response asap...
in the "List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS" thread. please help us to understand why you stated your intention to
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:respond to JMS's response asap...
three weeks ago and then just continued making new threads?

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:28 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:In the history of American politics, there has been one consistent trend in place and that is that conservatives are always wrong. They were wrong about slavery, wrong about opposing civil rights, woman's suffrage, labor laws, social security and they will be looked upon as wrong for opposing gay marriage and stem cell research.
"Wrong" according to your political beliefs, and probably also those of the majority in present-day Western societies. According to their own beliefs they were right, and you're wrong. To most people even a hundred years ago, that very modern society would be a horrible dystopia perched halfway between 1984 and Brave New World.

There's been one consistent trend in the history of politics all over the world: that various societies in different times and places have different values. But who can say what's "wrong" or "right" in any objective way? If you believe in God, He can, but if we limit ourselves to human beings ... none.

Opinions aren't facts. We can establish objectively what, say, the general gravitational constant is, but not what a moral judgment on, say, stem cells research is. It's the height of arrogance to think that just because our scientific knowledge is greater than that of our ancestors, our morality is better than theirs.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:54 pm

mojo wrote: swst.. i'm confused..
No you're not. Your act is far less meaningful than the Flying Spaghetti Monster ever will be.
you know i believe in you,
I know you don't, so what's your point?
but i'm starting to hear whispers all over the board. people are saying that you have realized that you've lost the wars/trek debate and now you're importing other debates from sdn. they give as evidence the fact that you are creating new threads without even dealing with this:
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:I'll respond to JMS's response asap...
in the "List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS" thread. please help us to understand why you stated your intention to
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:respond to JMS's response asap...
three weeks ago and then just continued making new threads?
Because my interest in the SW vs ST debate is waning. Honestly, I've repeated myself over and over again, and it's like running into a brick wall. EU literature explicitly states that the Death Star's superlaser is directly powered by its hypermatter reactor (ICS rationalizes fusion claims) that's explicitly stated to have the power output of several hundred supergiant stars. You fail.

"Wrong" according to your political beliefs, and probably also those of the majority in present-day Western societies.
According to the majority of ALL society, racist. Legalized slavery does not exist today in any recognized country. Granted, you could argue that some harsh economic conditions in many countries could be construed as "slavery", but no country openly supports slavery like they once had.
According to their own beliefs they were right, and you're wrong.
And they're wrong, so what's your point?
To most people even a hundred years ago, that very modern society would be a horrible dystopia perched halfway between 1984 and Brave New World.
Hardly. Where did you get that from?
There's been one consistent trend in the history of politics all over the world: that various societies in different times and places have different values. But who can say what's "wrong" or "right" in any objective way? If you believe in God, He can, but if we limit ourselves to human beings ... none.
It's called using logic to deduce moral values. And it works very well. Nothing is completely objective.

Opinions aren't facts. We can establish objectively what, say, the general gravitational constant is, but not what a moral judgment on, say, stem cells research is. It's the height of arrogance to think that just because our scientific knowledge is greater than that of our ancestors, our morality is better than theirs.
[/quote]

Listen Donner, you can think that you're being wise by going on a rant about moral relativity, but it's a red herring. Unless if you're going to openly contest my claim that conservatives were wrong on all of the issues I have listed, you're just grasping at straws here. It's annoying how I point out that conservatives were wrong on slavery, civil rights and child labor, and you respond by claiming moral relativity. That doesn't change the fact that they were on the wrong side of history.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:54 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:According to the majority of ALL society, racist. Legalized slavery does not exist today in any recognized country. Granted, you could argue that some harsh economic conditions in many countries could be construed as "slavery", but no country openly supports slavery like they once had.
In many cases, solely because they fear political and economic sanctions from the West.

However, this is mostly irrelevant. Morality isn't democratic. A thousand years ago anti-slavery people were a much tinier minority than pro-slavery are today. Surely you don't argue slavery was right back then.
Hardly. Where did you get that from?
Government in modern democracies exerts control over the average citizen like not even the most authoritarian state in 1900 could or did. In places like many cities in Britain, you can't walk a block without the cameras seeing you. In the US, Uncle Sam keeps detailed track of what you earn, and with the help of credit card companies, can trivially watch your purchases. Taxes, even in the US, are a hundred times what they were back then. In most places public school is mandatory for all children. In most (though not the US), legal gun ownership is difficult to impossible due to state regulations. Just for starters. Even Big Brother didn't have the technology for the comprehensive surveillance state we can build up.

As for Brave New World, surely I don't have to inform you of modern society's social engineering, consumerism, decadence, sexual immorality, anti-Christian atheism, multiculturalism, disrespect for the value of human life, etc, which would drive any good Edwardian into the loony bin if he got to see this was how people in the future would live?

In one old sci-fi book I read (from the 1940s) one sign of how totalitarian a vaguely Orwellian crypto-Nazi state (the novel's bad guys) was, is they had the equivalent of social security numbers.
It's called using logic to deduce moral values. And it works very well. Nothing is completely objective.
Exactly, nothing is. Logic can be used to derive a full-fledged and somewhat consistent system of morality from a set of basic principles and rules. Utilitarians do that, and so do Bible thumpers and Salafists -- it's just the principles themselves and their source that vary.

But the principles themselves are entirely arbitrary. "Decrease net negative utility" is in no way any more fundamentally logical, rational or objective, than "stone everyone who gathers firewood on Saturday."
Listen Donner, you can think that you're being wise by going on a rant about moral relativity, but it's a red herring. Unless if you're going to openly contest my claim that conservatives were wrong on all of the issues I have listed, you're just grasping at straws here. It's annoying how I point out that conservatives were wrong on slavery, civil rights and child labor, and you respond by claiming moral relativity. That doesn't change the fact that they were on the wrong side of history.
I'm not contesting your opinion. What I am contesting is your belief that you're apparently qualified to decide what's "right" and "wrong" for everyone in all Earth's history ever solely on basis of your own morality and ethics.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:06 pm

What I am contesting is your belief that you're apparently qualified to decide what's "right" and "wrong" for everyone in all Earth's history ever solely on basis of your own morality and ethics.

Unless if you're actually contesting my opinion, your speech (which I'm pretty sure you think, like most conservatives, that it's anything more than a rhetorical broken record) is completely irrelevant. Your opinion is nothing new, and IT'S FUCKING IRRELEVANT TO THE POINT, DO YOU UNDERSTAND? It's times like this that I wished this forum had more lax manner rules.

In fact, the manner rules are a great analogy to conservatives moral codes, being more concerned with "purity" and "traditional family values" than civil liberties or actual real life problems. The conservative code is "leave people to their own business (read: poverty, let them die! I don't want to pay taxdollars to actually help other people! I don't need that to get into heaven!) unless if they're violating traditional family values!"

Nobodies contesting your original and fresh idea that morality is subjective (hint: it's the most common evasion tactic in the book). It doesn't mean that opinions can't be supported with better facts and evidence than other opinions. By your logic, nobody can make any statement about politics because their statement will be an opinion.

You're probably going to respond by repeating yourself, and restating that my point is somehow wrong because morals are subjective, a disgusting appeal to ignorance fallacy. The fallacy in your statement is that politics are subjective into themselves, and you're claiming that, because X is subjective, one cannot make a fact based claim on the subject. Are you a pro-Facist as much as you are a rhetoric lover? Obviously you don't intend to be one, so stop using the "your opinion is subjective, therefore I don't have to acknowledge it" argument.

My logic is this:

1. Conservatives voted for slavery, against civil rights, against social wellfare and against female rights. Fact

2. Slavery is wrong, civil rights is right, etc. Corollary That I hope anybody I debate will agree with. If they don't, THEN I can logically support why slavery is wrong, civil rights is right, etc, in which case the White Supremacist will pull a Donner and say "but it's subjective so I don't have to agree!" Until then, this is a practical fact unless contested by the other side.

3. Therefore, Conservatives were wrong on all of these [very serious] social issues. 1 and 2

4. Therefore, Conservatives have a track record of being wrong.3

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:42 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:Unless if you're actually contesting my opinion, your speech (which I'm pretty sure you think, like most conservatives, that it's anything more than a rhetorical broken record) is completely irrelevant. Your opinion is nothing new, and IT'S FUCKING IRRELEVANT TO THE POINT, DO YOU UNDERSTAND? It's times like this that I wished this forum had more lax manner rules.
Surely you also do so in the VS debates? But as for me, I have a hard time seeing how yelling profanity at people really improves anything. It certainly didn't improve my opinion of SDN, even when I was in their camp. Bad manners don't really detract from the logic of an argument as such, but it does worsen debate by riling people up unnecessarily and promoting needless hostility.
In fact, the manner rules are a great analogy to conservatives moral codes, being more concerned with "purity" and "traditional family values" than civil liberties or actual real life problems. The conservative code is "leave people to their own business (read: poverty, let them die! I don't want to pay taxdollars to actually help other people! I don't need that to get into heaven!) unless if they're violating traditional family values!"
There are different kinds of conservatives -- just like I'm sure communist and liberals don't agree on everything, neither do we. It's rough, but the basic divide is between social conservatives on the one hand and fiscal conservatives (and libertarians, etc) on the other. The first care about family values very much, the other doesn't really, but want small government and low taxes. There's some overlap, obviously, but they're not all the same, even if they're allied in the same party in the US.

As for me, I'm more on the social conservative side -- might have something to do with me being European. I don't mind a basic safety net, even if I get angry about welfare abuses.

(And on the Christian tangent, any Protestant knows we're saved through grace, not works. But I'm sure you've heard that already, on TV if nothing else.)
Nobodies contesting your original and fresh idea that morality is subjective (hint: it's the most common evasion tactic in the book). It doesn't mean that opinions can't be supported with better facts and evidence than other opinions. By your logic, nobody can make any statement about politics because their statement will be an opinion.
Political beliefs are subjective, though actual political actions (legislation, executive orders, SCOTUS verdicts, whatever) can and should be logically based on underlying ideologies. But I feel as though you're trying to strawman me -- my point isn't that subjective opinion is irrelevant or unnecessary. In fact it should be encouraged of people that they think and question their beliefs. I just deny that you can claim universality for your morality.
2. Slavery is wrong, civil rights is right, etc. Corollary That I hope anybody I debate will agree with. If they don't, THEN I can logically support why slavery is wrong, civil rights is right, etc, in which case the White Supremacist will pull a Donner and say "but it's subjective so I don't have to agree!" Until then, this is a practical fact unless contested by the other side.
I don't disagree with the statement as such (though we might interpret "civil liberties a little differently), but I'd nevertheless like to hear your arguments. Are you basing them on utility or an idea of absolute and universal rights, or some mixture?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:00 pm

SWST wrote:explicitly stated to have the power output of several hundred supergiant stars.
Wasn't it "several Main Sequence Stars"?
Unless you are talking about a different quote...

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 pm

He means another bit from "Inside the Worlds of the Original Trilogy" which I quoted towards the end of his huge Death Star thread:
OT:ITW wrote:In order to deliver a spectacular, planet-destroying burst, the station's hypermatter reactor would have to have been able to generate power equivalent to hundreds of supergiant stars.
Now this is the kind of stuff that actually supports his arguments. However, it's still just one book, and contradicted by the Death Star novel and probably other books as well. So much as I like it (I used to prefer the DET Death Star idea), it doesn't really fit.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:16 am

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:[
Unless if you're actually contesting my opinion, your speech (which I'm pretty sure you think, like most conservatives, that it's anything more than a rhetorical broken record) is completely irrelevant. Your opinion is nothing new, and IT'S FUCKING IRRELEVANT TO THE POINT, DO YOU UNDERSTAND? It's times like this that I wished this forum had more lax manner rules.
SWSt I'm calling you to task address his opinion and debunk his argument and don't cowardly run and hide behind strawman arguments or I'll report you for deliberately and dishonestly ignoring another posters point something you have been banned for recently

do it..or else

no modern conservative view point is "stop subsidizing the poor creating an entire class of resentful useless fucks who think the world owes them and completely loose their volition or incentive to contribute to society in any meaningful way"

and you know what? it's pretty cold but their not wrong I live in a city that was more or less made what it is in terms of being a major center for politics money and tourism globally because of Cuban refugees that have been immigrated here constantly since the fifties and you know what? they're all desperate to escape that the mere thought of any aid or financial support from other peoples money in tax money is..disgusting to them and they may have a point

You're probably going to respond by repeating yourself, and restating that my point is somehow wrong because morals are subjective, a disgusting appeal to ignorance fallacy.

which you should probably stop committing almost every time you post
My logic is this:

1. Conservatives voted for slavery, against civil rights, against social wellfare and against female rights. Fact
this is an enormous distortion Conservatives from decades to centuries ago voted for this no modern conservative supports slavery...you harping on this is an absolute and distasteful dodge and redherring on your part
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:[2. Slavery is wrong, civil rights is right, etc. Corollary That I hope anybody I debate will agree with. If they don't, THEN I can logically support why slavery is wrong, civil rights is right, etc, in which case the White Supremacist will pull a Donner and say "but it's subjective so I don't have to agree!" Until then, this is a practical fact unless contested by the other side.
so in the mist of all this nearly schizophrenic rambling did you have anything that resembled a point other then to insult half the forum and mock a good chunk of the political world? because you basically are trolling here.

3. Therefore, Conservatives were wrong on all of these [very serious] social issues. 1 and 2
based on a heavily distorted representation of their views based on you deliberately dishonestly bringing up something that has almost not relevance to modern conservatives
4. Therefore, Conservatives have a track record of being wrong.3
you wanna talk about all the things Liberals have fucked up over the last century? iz a long list my brotha!

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:14 pm

I could be wrong, but wasn't it a conservative movement that first acted against the eugenic programs in the USA?

... Like I said, I could be wrong, and I don't have the time to look it up (I'm off to work), but I believe that eugenics were originally a liberal movement.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Trinoya wrote:I could be wrong, but wasn't it a conservative movement that first acted against the eugenic programs in the USA?

... Like I said, I could be wrong, and I don't have the time to look it up (I'm off to work), but I believe that eugenics were originally a liberal movement.
considering the comments made by many liberals in the media i wouldn't doubt that

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:53 pm

General Donner wrote:He means another bit from "Inside the Worlds of the Original Trilogy" which I quoted towards the end of his huge Death Star thread:
OT:ITW wrote:In order to deliver a spectacular, planet-destroying burst, the station's hypermatter reactor would have to have been able to generate power equivalent to hundreds of supergiant stars.
Mind you, I did not get it from your quote.
Now this is the kind of stuff that actually supports his arguments. However, it's still just one book, and contradicted by the Death Star novel and probably other books as well. So much as I like it (I used to prefer the DET Death Star idea), it doesn't really fit.
What are you talking about? The Death Star novel supports the quote, and I would be interested where in EU the quote is explicitly contradicted.