Achron: Temporal Hot War

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Starship Captain

Achron: Temporal Hot War

Post by 2046 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:02 pm

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... ipping.ars

A rather interesting sounding game. It looks like Starcraft with time travel integrated into play, where you change things in the past but have to wait for the changes to propagate into the present.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Achron: Temporal Hot War

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Interesting concept, but I'm worried it could reek of time fiddling gimmickry.
Braid pulled it well, but a RTS game is already a pain in the ass to manage, and you have essentially with the time travel gimmick is that you need to manage different squads and production schedules in various points of time while before you had to do the same but in various points of space, and the effect of a squad winning a battle back in time, in day-2, could have an effect on the overall balance of victory as much as a squad winning a battle in sector 4 of a map, as it would affect the victory balance of either player's faction.

Now, slowing or speeding up time is quite interesting. If it goes the way I think it goes, it means you can take your time, but if your enemy plays faster, say in real time, your reactions will appear to be rather slow to him.

I think it will be worth trying, and could really grow into its own fringe cult, but I really take it with a pinch of salt atm.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Re: Achron: Temporal Hot War

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:04 pm

I suppose after command and conquer, starcraft and all the others adding new levels of complexity using time travel could make it interesting.