All about Serafina (Split)

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: All about Serafina (Split)

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Serafina wrote: You don't get it.
WILGA (and others) is essentially arguing for his right to insult transsexuals.
That's like someone arguing that he has a right to insult black or gay people.

So, for what reason do i not let go of the issue?
Because, i am sorry to say so - this forum seems to be a pit for a lot of prejudice and bigotry. I actually wanted to show that that is not the case - but since most people apparently do not think that there is something fundamentally wrong with WILGAS statements, i can at least prove that fact right.

Just that - and advocating segregation for transsexuals as well as a few other gems.
Besides - just that was against a warning by JMS himself. Pretty damning i would say.
I must've missed something, which is possible, because I only read your posts quickly, but was under the impression WILGA had only refused to use feminine pronouns when addressing you.
What segregation did he advocate?
Ah, still not getting the point, eh?
Quite simply:
Insults are bad if they hurt - because they hurt.
An insult can hurt some people more than others. And there is a certain line that should not be crossed.

But even more than that:
If i call someone an idiot for behaving like one, i do not express bigotry and prejudice against a group of people.
If i use "fag" against a gay person or "trannie" against a transsexual person, i am doing just that.
Ah, so in your way of thinking, I could use "Fag" to insult a heterosexual male just as you would use "retard" on an intelligent person, and it would be fine?
Even though the only times I've heard "Fag" used against someone was when the intention was to convey the feeling the person being insulted was weak, just like "Fags" supposedly are…
And the only times I've heard people calling others "retards", was when they wanted to convey the impression the insulted person was having brain disorders…
I don't see these words as being less insulting, or any more correct in their usage, then "trannie".
:roll:
"Oh, look, it's just a harmless diminutive".
It is repeatedly used as an insult and derogatory term. That's why it is so bad.
On the other hand, retard etc. are no longer used by the medical community - for decades now.
So this time, it is you who does not seem to understand.
What I'm trying to convey here is that these words have meaning because people decided they did.
Why would "hetero" be fine, but "trannie" be bad?
Because of the way they are used, just like "retard".
"Retard" was not an insult originally, it was simply used to describe a certain mental disorder, "retardation", but it became an insult because of the way people used it.
I'm not saying you should accept being called a "trannie", because I too believe it has negative connotations in the way it is used, but not in its origin, just like "retard".
And while the word "retard" is no longer used by the medical community, it still retains its full signification in popular language.
If you ask someone what a retard is, chances are they'll indicate people with Down's syndrome, or similar mental illnesses.
You clearly do not understand what discrimination is.
Discrimination is treating one group of people worse than another group of people based on an arbitrary difference.
As I said, I missed the parts where WILGA said transexuals should be treated differently then heterosexuals or homosexuals.
The only discrimination I saw was a language one, not a social one.
But you are right, in the strictest sense of the word, he was discriminating against you…

Serafina
Bridge Officer

Post by Serafina » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Hm...i think we could agree that there is not yet sufficient evidence to conclusively determine how exactly transsexuality is caused, but that there is strong evidence that the gender identity of a transwoman is female from birth and vice versa for transmen?

I agree, even if tomorrow they found irefutable and conclusive proof that transexuals do not have female brains ect i would still tick the box that says "if it does not hurt anybody let anybody be what they wanna be or say they are".
Well, on that we absolutely agree.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Serafina wrote:
I never said that hate of their body, or at least a specific part of the body, was the cause.
At first hand, because it brings to the table something interesting.
You can hate certain parts of your body, but do not hate... your brain? (hey, careful, I won't accept any pun on that)
If the brain is the reason why you can't cope with the integral rest of your body, wouldn't your brain be the main focus of your bitterness, regardless of your capacity to alter it or not?
You don't get it, do you?
I get that the brain happens to be the source of what is defined as abnormal in the articles you and others have provided, and that's quite logical since the sexual organs grow according to the sexual chromosomes, but the brain seems to go bonkers at some point.
So obviously, the construction of the brain is the issue. So why not hate the brain instead of the rest?
The brain defines gender identity. A transwoman is female, a transman male. They want to live that way.
Their body prevents that. That's why transsexuals typically develop an aversion towards the parts of the body that prevent that.
And the brain prevents the trans-whatever to act like the his/her genotype should have him/her act like.
It's just like a paraplegic who might hate that aspect of his body because it impedes his life.
Because the impaired body is the clear source of the problem. Yet all your articles show that the brain is when it comes to transies.
Unless you believe homosexual display their behaviour because of a psychological logic, their choice, then no, it's the same stuff, because then they do it because of what their body (brain, chemicals, etc.) dictate.
This is hilarious.
What do you think constitutes your personality? Your brain chemistry.
And what's "psychological logic" supposed to be anyway?
You obviously don't read properly.
I offered a dilemma which seemed fair to define the behaviour of homos: hardware related, of psychology, which includes every single parameter that defines a personna beyond the basic fleshy template one starts with.
Aside from the mildly amusing idea of a lesbian transwoman (two wrongs don't make a right), I understand your position on this.
Oh, so i am wrong now? Great opinion right there /sarcasm.
From the standpoint of the drive for reproduction, you are an error. It doesn't mean I wouldn't help you. If I treated you like you were an ape, or a dog, or that you had no soul, I wouldn't even bother debating with you.
I see you has a human with a biomechanical defect. It doesn't mean you're stupid. You could have an IQ considerably higher than mine for all I know.
OK well "transies" then, or perhaps "shifters"? I can't be bothered typing the whole word everytime.
Yeah, right...intellectual laziness is fun, isn't it?[/quote]

This is useful how? There's no consensus on how the people like you shall be called, nor which pronouns should be used, and you whine because I actually make suggestions?
You realize you're not helping your case, right?
You clearly have no actual contact with transsexuals. Of course, some are overcompensating - but you can't make a general statement based on a few people.
Indeed, nearly all transsexuals i know (which should be OOMs more than you do) want to achieve "stealth" - living as a woman (or man) without being recognized as transsexual.
OK. Still, there doesn't seem to be much of a sexual market for women to men people, but perhaps I'm missing something here as well?
Sexual market? What the fuck are you talking about?[/quote]

And Serafine discovers the internets...
Same applies to the other "gender". A shemale can wear male clothes, and will pass for a woman wearing men clothes.
So if transmen stick out, it's because they dress in clothes exposing their secret and it shows, no more, no less.
That's why I considered that transwomen (but I should some now) do it to enjoy the seductive power of females.
Aah, pure, unfiltered bias :barf:
Sorry, but that's beyond any further comment.
That's a concession from you then. You just have nothing better to say to the fact that your argument is blasted because you fully know that a transwoman could wear male clothes.
Well then what we're dealing with here is a technical problem. Individuals who have a drive for same-sex or suffer from a conflict between their brain and the rest of their body as the brain thinks in gender A and the body is suited to behave like gender B, and who belong to a species that reproduces sexually and relies on the heterosexual mutual attraction between the two different genders it comprises, are biological dead ends and therefore errors.
It doesn't mean they have to be ignored or considered as sub-humans, but they cannot be considered normal, from this perspective.
As errors and threats to the survival of the species, it is logical for the average unit of this life form to be repulsed by these errors.
Evolution is not morality. Unless you are into eugenics, that is.
Who spoke of morality? The mechanical technicalities of the surivval of a life form don't care about morality.
Now, it doesn't mean we can't work out around this instinctive repulsion. We have brains, we can use them. This is where education at a large scale becomes relevant. It's a process that occurs over several generations, and the "bigotry" you hate won't disappear, but it may be silenced to some degree, toned down.

That said I'd like to point you to this:

http://www.hrc.org/issues/9598.htm

At some point, it says:
Transgender Population

There are no concrete statistics on the number of transgender people in the United States. Estimates on the number of transsexual people, which ignore the broader transgender population, range anywhere from 0.25 to 1 percent of the U.S. population. These estimates are dated and likely undercount the transsexual population because, for example, they do not account for people who have not yet undergone, cannot (for medical, financial, safety or other reasons) or choose not to undergo sex reassignment surgeries.
Now let's pause for a moment.
An outdated and narrower count method provides a figure that's between 0.25 and 1 % of the US population.
Broaden the count and update it, and you might well found a bracketed figure above and below 1%, making the average around 0.75% or 1%.
Now, 1% is a big number. Over several posts, you, Omin and Kor have posted studies, sometimes conflicting, but which all agree that what's responsible of transsexuality is not normal.
Then, if the numbers were outdated, meaning that the percentage could change significantly as to warrant a mention of such a possible difference between old and fresh census, then it means there's an evolution.
The point is, you won't change society fast enough, no matter what, when a form of abnormality, perhaps as far as being congenital, evolves so fast and does shock instincts.
"Evolves so fast"? You have no idea how evolution works, do you?
Natural evolution has nothing to do with that. It has to do with head count.
By the wording of the articles, it appears that the phenomenon is growing significantly, while populations in occidental societies tend to stagnate, if not literally recede.
If the real percentage of transies in a society doesn't evolve, then you can ignore my point. But the article clearly suggested it not to be the case.
Either way, most statistics on transsexuals are outdated. As an example, the statistics for Germany were taken BEFORE the law concerning transsexuality (opening important possibilities) was passed. The statistics for today are merely elaborated from that point. Obviously, living transsexual was much harder back then, therefore the numbers were most likely too small.
Just like the amount of homosexual people would have appeared to be much smaller 50 years ago, the apparent percentage of transsexuals differs - according to what society permits.
The question is, has the real count changed, or is it just a reflection of the change of counting standards and perhaps greater coming outs?
Not to say that 1% is a huge percent of the population. That's more than three millions in the US.

It's best exemplified in the feminist article here, which speaks of "growing fluidity of gender".
Frankly, there's nothing good about learning that there's a growth of gender fluidity. It's quite insane.
Ah, because being open-minded is so much worse than thinking in narrow categories. Gotcha.
Ah, because thinking positively about the idea of a growth of gender fluidity is a good thing? Gotcha.
(clue: no, it is not, otherwise it means you wish more and more people were like you)

For example, most transsexuals already express their desire as young children at the age where gender identity in general is recognized (as soon as children see a difference between male and female). There are also recent scientific studies that show that a transwomans brain is very similar to that of a biological female.
It appears that there's conflict on that after all, in some cases.
What conflict?
If you are appealing to conflict within the scientific community, you are no better than a creationist.[/quote]

Conflict between the sources you and others cited, genius. *sheesh*
Being transsexual is NOT about desiring women so much that you want to be one. It's simply about being a woman and wanting to live like one.
Yep. I had not ruled out a "hardware" reason behind it, but with no medical background on this I looked too much into the psychology of it, so it pretty much passed as an extrapolation, and a wrong one.
Pro-Tip:
Psychology is very complicated. You are no more qualified to comment on it than on medicine or quantum mechanics.[/quote]

Pro-tip: you didn't debunk my hypothesis with facts based on psychology but based on sheer issues abou the biological basic template at birth, which do not involve the shaping of the personality over the years.

Well, to be frank - that's your problem.
No, mostly because I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the population would be repulsed as well, and so comes the question of knowing if choosing the operation is better or not. Now I'm sure there are ace plastic surgeons around who will achieve good works, but there are the mediocre ones as well, and not every one is full of cash.
Guess what - there was a time where the majority of the population was repulsed by homosexuality as well. Or inter-racial marriage.
Besides, it's just morally evil to treat people badly because they do not look pretty to you.[/quote]

That's bull. The repulsion comes from the fact that a transwoman tries to look like a woman, but traits betray the former male traits.
The vast majority of the profiles available on this page illustrate my point.
Isis King is one of the few transwomen who don't really show their original traits.
That said, the work to be done was less considerable considering her original traits as a boy.
Lynn Conway would also totally fool me, from this picture. But one picture is not all. Picking Estelle Asmodelle's wiki page, she seems okay, but when you see her here, the bell rings.
Asians also seem to make easier transitions, but it's not always the case either.
Now, the case that's highlighted on the wiki page just says it all as far as my former claim went.
For example, this lady looks like a man wearing a wig, fake breasts and a ton of make up. The jaw is the betrayer here.
Sometimes it's the muscles (and guess what, excessive musculature in women is not attractive to most men), the broad shoulders, something with the jaw, the cheeks or else.
The point stands. As far I'm concerned, only well done ops would fool me. Sorry to use the word fool btw, perhaps convince would be better?

Feminism wasn't "shoved down the throats" of anybody.
I strongly disagree, if only for the fact that organizing marches, revolutions over so many countries across the worlds and still filling papers with feminist argumentation today did cost and costs a lot. You don't grow such a world wide revolution from the gathered outcome of a few disgruntled women. This is not unique to feminism though.
Oh, i suppose the civil rights movement for black people was shoved down our throats as well then?[/quote]

Yes. Did you forgot that half of America didn't give a shit at some point, and that even good old Washington had a couple of black slaves? And you think this didn't cost much money? What kind of cloud are you living on?
However, not it's good riddance, but equaling anti-black racism with feminism is terrible.
"Rights of women" is just as vague as it can get. There's so good and some bad in it. Let's move on though.
Tell me, what's the bad part then?
Not there. I said I wouldn't argue about this, and considering your talent in rhetoric, I suspect it would also be a massive waste of my time.
The silver lining is: your body naturally sucks; enhance it. Of course most people will never look like the very few plastic dolls on TV and that will always be source of anxiety and a form of self-hatred. You'll compensate in any possible way, from over compulsive buying to consumption of food and, of course, the use of all those chemicals over and over and over.
I'd suggest you travel outside of that country you live in and go to some "poor" places where people don't have the luxury of being able to pay for that junk and are not flooded in mass of advertising and that kind of social conditioning.
Aah, eeevil chemicals. Always fun.
Ah, a nice appeal to ridicule. It's been a while on this board. I'm really glad you joined us, most enlightening.
Tell me, what's bad about trying to look good?
Beyond reason?
Well you leave me dumbfounded. How can you not see how bad it is would probably be the real question. Of course, it's the same society that flashes those concepts about chemicals and plastic surgery into out eye globes at any occasion that also allowed "your people" to complete the transformation they seek. To know if both can be dissociated is another question.
Again:
Give me a valid reason why this should be bad?
Abuse (because we must call a cat a cat) of cosmetics and plastic surgery to look "better" is good?

And since when volume was exclusively related to efficiency?
Science refuses to claim that women are dumber despite having smaller brains (and when some articles awkwardly do, the superior intelligence of men is described as a problem to intelligent women, and strong conclusions are drawn from the fact that women attend foreign language schools more than men, that despite pointing out, a few lines before, that men really do well in maths and physics, which would explain why, eventually even with equal language skills, they'd go for the math and physics courses).
Is it feminism that allows this kind of "conclusion" as seen in the paper to be made? In the same article, the case of Lawrence Summers reveals how feminism may even silence what some see as mere scientifically established proof - doesn't mean I agree or not, but I'm merely pointing this out, even if it's quite highly off topic from the original off topic.
Does it talk about efficiency?
And how would you call an argument about superiority in doing X or Y if not a case of demonstrating efficiency, if not superior efficiency?
But of course, the evil feminist conspiracy must distort the evidence :roll:
Oh, another one. Keep going Serafina.
Welcome to pseudo science. It makes fuck all sense.
Since when gathering nuts, breastfeeding kiddos and cleaning a cave favoured greater language skills?
Let's get out of this caricature and point out something.
If we are to assume that women have a greater capacity in language skills, it's obviously from the premise that men and women live in a society wherein language matters.
Now tell me, how could language not matter just as much to men, who are depicted as conquerors in an era of literature?
Let's imagine that we move on from an era of men fighting with sticks in order to collect food, control territory, grow superiority from mutual support and against the enemy, to an era of military, politics and economics with different tools, where schools and diplomacy matters a hell of a lot.
Now tell me, why the need to prevail and become the alpha in economics, science, military, politics or even sports (which all involve managing your squads btw) wouldn't be as many good reasons in order to develop superior language skills?
Or perhaps Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Hegel, etc. were people ignorant of their status of men with a female brain?...
Ah, nitpicking. Always fun.
And again not understanding how evolution works. Two strikes in one post!
[sarcasm]You obviously have proved that you do.[/sarcasm]
I'm not intereted in your stupid one liners.
If you quite scientific articles, try to actually address them properly next time.
You mean quote?
Note that I have no issue calling you a "she".
I may even suggest using "ser" or "sera", as Serafina, everytime one hesitates between he and she. :)
Therefore no he, she or it.
By that same token, can i call you "Ora"? /sarcasm
I'm trying to find a solution and somehow this drives you to act like an idiot. If you want to call me Ora, fine, do so. Like I give.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:25 pm

Serafina wrote:Hm...i think we could agree that there is not yet sufficient evidence to conclusively determine how exactly transsexuality is caused,
God no, the human brain is way to complicated and we are just scratching the surface on how it develops ect.

Serafina wrote:There is strong evidence that the gender identity of a transwoman is female from birth and vice versa for transmen?
There is some evidence that physically male children are born with a mind set that is differant and decidedly more female that a standard male child however this is a broad area that also covers homosexuality amoung other things.

But due to the sheer complexity in regards to how the brain works and develops it would be perfectly reasonable to say that a combo of the right or wrong hormones introduced or denied at the right or wrong time during the brains development could cause transgender individuals.

However that would directly prove that the issue with transgenders is a anomoly in the brain and as such it could be argued that the brain is what needs fixing not the body.

Serafina
Bridge Officer

Post by Serafina » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:49 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I get that the brain happens to be the source of what is defined as abnormal in the articles you and others have provided, and that's quite logical since the sexual organs grow according to the sexual chromosomes, but the brain seems to go bonkers at some point.
So obviously, the construction of the brain is the issue. So why not hate the brain instead of the rest?
Because it's not about hate.
You completely ignored what i said, not that that surprises me.
And the brain prevents the trans-whatever to act like the his/her genotype should have him/her act like.
Honestly - don't you get that that's their personality?
But obviously, it's better to conform, just like in Trek.
Because the impaired body is the clear source of the problem. Yet all your articles
show that the brain is when it comes to transies.
You still don't get it.
You can't fix the brain. Even if you could, that would be monstrous brainwashing.
You can fix the body without major problems.
From the standpoint of the drive for reproduction, you are an error. It doesn't mean I wouldn't help you. If I treated you like you were an ape, or a dog, or that you had no soul, I wouldn't even bother debating with you.
I see you has a human with a biomechanical defect. It doesn't mean you're stupid. You could have an IQ considerably higher than mine for all I know.
And you don't think it is offensive to call someone an error?
Besides, i am still perfectly capable to reproduce and raise children, so even that fails.
Yay for modern technology by the way.
This is useful how? There's no consensus on how the people like you shall be called, nor which pronouns should be used, and you whine because I actually make suggestions?
You realize you're not helping your case, right?
How about using the actual term? Transwoman? Or just woman, because that's not wrong either.
If you can not handle such a "long" term, then you are intellectually lazy.
And Serafine discovers the internets...
So you think that transsexuality is about sexuality now? About fucking.
You are WRONG.
Sure, some people might have a preference for transsexuals, but transsexuals themselves have no different sexuality than everyone else.
In other words, i fuck my girlfriends like every other lesbian does.
That's a concession from you then. You just have nothing better to say to the fact that your argument is blasted because you fully know that a transwoman could wear male clothes.
And therefore ruin her passing. Great idea there - are you advocating segregation as well? Who the fuck do you think you are to dictate or demand what i wear?

Besides, the whole "female seductress" reeks so much of sexism that it just stirs my stomach.
Who spoke of morality? The mechanical technicalities of the surivval of a life form don't care about morality.
Oh really?
Then why did morality evolve, eh?
Natural evolution has nothing to do with that. It has to do with head count.
By the wording of the articles, it appears that the phenomenon is growing significantly, while populations in occidental societies tend to stagnate, if not literally recede.
If the real percentage of transies in a society doesn't evolve, then you can ignore my point. But the article clearly suggested it not to be the case.
Completely ignoring what i said, good move right there.
Repeating myself:
The number of transsexual might appear to rise because more transsexuals can express themselves without fear of being made outcasts.
That doesn't mean that the actual number of transsexuals (be it genes or whatever) rises.
The question is, has the real count changed, or is it just a reflection of the change of counting standards and perhaps greater coming outs?
Parsimony.
We have an observed cause that explains the effect on one side, and an unknown cause that doesn't fully explain the effect on the other.
Guess which side is which.
Ah, because thinking positively about the idea of a growth of gender fluidity is a good thing? Gotcha.
(clue: no, it is not, otherwise it means you wish more and more people were like you)
Where did i say that?
Oh, right, i did not.
Now listen:
There is nothing wrong with breaking gender barriers. There is nothing wrong with seeing that gender is a complex construct and not a black/white fallacy, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with stopping to judge people solely on their sex.
Conflict between the sources you and others cited, genius. *sheesh*
Like i said: Just like a creationist.
Pro-tip: you didn't debunk my hypothesis with facts based on psychology but based on sheer issues abou the biological basic template at birth, which do not involve the shaping of the personality over the years.
What hypothesis? And how are you qualified to put up an hypothesis in the first place?
That's bull. The repulsion comes from the fact that a transwoman tries to look like a woman, but traits betray the former male traits.
The vast majority of the profiles available on this page illustrate my point.
Isis King is one of the few transwomen who don't really show their original traits.
That said, the work to be done was less considerable considering her original traits as a boy.
Lynn Conway would also totally fool me, from this picture. But one picture is not all. Picking Estelle Asmodelle's wiki page, she seems okay, but when you see her here, the bell rings.
Asians also seem to make easier transitions, but it's not always the case either.
Now, the case that's highlighted on the wiki page just says it all as far as my former claim went.
For example, this lady looks like a man wearing a wig, fake breasts and a ton of make up. The jaw is the betrayer here.
Sometimes it's the muscles (and guess what, excessive musculature in women is not attractive to most men), the broad shoulders, something with the jaw, the cheeks or else.
The point stands. As far I'm concerned, only well done ops would fool me. Sorry to use the word fool btw, perhaps convince would be better?
In other words:
You judge and treat people solely on their looks.

Besides, some random pictures from the Internet hardly constitute enough material to judge the whole population of transsexuals.
Yes. Did you forgot that half of America didn't give a shit at some point, and that even good old Washington had a couple of black slaves? And you think this didn't cost much money? What kind of cloud are you living on?
However, not it's good riddance, but equaling anti-black racism with feminism is terrible.
Why? What's wrong with demanding equal rights for women and fighting for it?
Ah, a nice appeal to ridicule. It's been a while on this board. I'm really glad you joined us, most enlightening.
Then how about giving a justification and actual argument why caring for ones body or altering it is inherently bad?
Beyond reason?
You are, quite evidently. Or are you trying to imply that there is a reason for that beyond reason? Nice paradox there, are you a Time Lord now?
Abuse (because we must call a cat a cat) of cosmetics and plastic surgery to look "better" is good?
Oooh, so the abuse of something is bad, therefore the thing itself must be bad!
By that logic, pretty much everything is bad. By your logic, the Internet, computers, TV, food, sex, speech, schools, cars, taxes, government and the whole of modern technology are bad as well.
Oh, another one. Keep going Serafina.
Yeah, and you appealed to a conspiracy.
Guess what - ridiculing a fallacy is not a fallacy.
If you quite scientific articles, try to actually address them properly next time.
You mean quote?
Oh boo-fucking-who, dear doctor. One tiny tpyo.
I'm trying to find a solution and somehow this drives you to act like an idiot. If you want to call me Ora, fine, do so. Like I give.
Here is a solution:
I am female. I want to be addressed as female. Why not do it?

Serafina
Bridge Officer

Post by Serafina » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Kor wrote:
Hm...i think we could agree that there is not yet sufficient evidence to conclusively determine how exactly transsexuality is caused,
God no, the human brain is way to complicated and we are just scratching the surface on how it develops ect.
Yes, quite. Hence it is not yet possible to render final judgment either way.
There is some evidence that physically male children are born with a mind set that is differant and decidedly more female that a standard male child however this is a broad area that also covers homosexuality amoung other things.

But due to the sheer complexity in regards to how the brain works and develops it would be perfectly reasonable to say that a combo of the right or wrong hormones introduced or denied at the right or wrong time during the brains development could cause transgender individuals.
Well, i said it earlier, but to make it easier:

If i recall correctly, there is evidence that certain regions in the brain are responsible for ones sexual orientation. Basically, these regions are always somewhat between a female archetype (attracted to men) and a male one (attracted to women) - tough rarely 100% on one side, most people are slightly bisexual after all. Sometimes they are in the middle, hence the person is bisexual.

Now, if that is the case and gender identity is similar, then that also explains why there is such a high number of homosexual transsexuals. IIRC, about 45% of transwomen are attracted to males, 25% are bisexual and 30% are attracted to females.
That fits perfectly if something went "wrong" during the formation of their brain.
However that would directly prove that the issue with transgenders is a anomoly in the brain and as such it could be argued that the brain is what needs fixing not the body.
No...just no. That would be horrible.
Think about it: Gender identity is a fundamental part of you. Would you want that a fundamental part of you is forcibly changed?
We already tried to change gender identity via therapy (especially in the case of transsexuals), it doesn't work.

But even if it does work somehow (tough the brain is likely too complex for that without destroying most of ones personality) - you would still have memories of feeling female (or male for transmen) all your life. That experience has affected you greatly - and now it's gone, you feel completely different.

On the other hand, it is safe and easy to change the body. If you start when puberty starts, the results are perfect - and quite good even later on.

Morality dictates both that we choose the solution the individual wants (Hippocratic Oath) and that we choose the treatment that causes less harm (Hippocratic Oath again). Changing the body is the only possible solution right now and most likely always the better solution.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Transsexuality and Rights - challenge to WILGA

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Serafina wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Your claim that i would merely post point-by-point sentences is baseless, as i clearly said that i would make the opening argument, which can not have such a structure.
It would have been a clear, cited, evidenced argument. Evidently, you are either unable to recognize that implication or afraid of it.
Well then make your #1 post regardless of what anyone thinks, and see if WILGA actually wants to accept the "challenge" and debate from this post.
Why waste the effort if he flat-out refuses to agree to a formal debate?
I won't waste 1-2 hours just to show that he is unwilling to debate, given that this is already well established and expressed by himself.
You have probably and already "wasted" an entire day worth of debate. Proving that you're willing to make a concise set of arguments is the best thing to do, even if no one replies to it, it's still useful. Not everyone writes an article or essay hoping someone will reply. So if WILGA refuses the debate, which is his right, your post will be like an article.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Serafina wrote: Yes, quite. Hence it is not yet possible to render final judgment either way.
Final judgment no or at least not yet.
Serafina wrote:If i recall correctly, there is evidence that certain regions in the brain are responsible for ones sexual orientation. Basically, these regions are always somewhat between a female archetype (attracted to men) and a male one (attracted to women) - tough rarely 100% on one side, most people are slightly bisexual after all. Sometimes they are in the middle, hence the person is bisexual.

Now, if that is the case and gender identity is similar, then that also explains why there is such a high number of homosexual transsexuals. IIRC, about 45% of transwomen are attracted to males, 25% are bisexual and 30% are attracted to females.

That fits perfectly if something went "wrong" during the formation of their brain.

Are there any other aspects that male to female transgenders show in regards to having a "female brain" compared to a male one in regards to thought processes?.
1. Human relationships. Women tend to communicate more effectively than men, focusing on how to create a solution that works for the group, talking through issues, and utilizes non-verbal cues such as tone, emotion, and empathy whereas men tend to be more task-oriented, less talkative, and more isolated. Men have a more difficult time understanding emotions that are not explicitly verbalized, while women tend to intuit emotions and emotional cues. These differences explain why men and women sometimes have difficulty communicating and why men-to-men friendships look different from friendships among women.

2. Left brain vs. both hemispheres. Men tend to process better in the left hemisphere of the brain while women tend to process equally well between the two hemispheres. This difference explains why men are generally stronger with left-brain activities and approach problem-solving from a task-oriented perspective while women typically solve problems more creatively and are more aware of feelings while communicating.

3. Mathematical abilities. An area of the brain called the inferior-parietal lobule (IPL) is typically significantly larger in men, especially on the left side, than in women. This section of the brain is thought to control mental mathematical ability, and probably explains why men frequently perform higher in mathematical tasks than do women. Interestingly, this is the same area of Einstein’s brain that was discovered to be abnormally large. The IPL also processes sensory information, and the larger right side in women allows them to focus on, "specific stimuli, such as a baby crying in the night."

4. Reaction to stress. Men tend to have a "fight or flight" response to stress situations while women seem to approach these situations with a "tend and befriend" strategy. Psychologist Shelley E. Taylor coined the phrase "tend and befriend" after recognizing that during times of stress women take care of themselves and their children (tending) and form strong group bonds (befriending). The reason for these different reactions to stress is rooted in hormones. The hormone oxytocin is released during stress in everyone. However, estrogen tends to enhance oxytocin resulting in calming and nurturing feelings whereas testosterone, which men produce in high levels during stress, reduces the effects of oxytocin.

5. Language. Two sections of the brain responsible for language were found to be larger in women than in men, indicating one reason that women typically excel in language-based subjects and in language-associated thinking. Additionally, men typically only process language in their dominant hemisphere, whereas women process language in both hemispheres. This difference offers a bit of protection in case of a stroke. Women may be able to recover more fully from a stroke affecting the language areas in the brain while men may not have this same advantage.

6. Emotions. Women typically have a larger deep limbic system than men, which allows them to be more in touch with their feelings and better able to express them, which promotes bonding with others. Because of this ability to connect, more women serve as caregivers for children. The down side to this larger deep limbic system is that it also opens women up to depression, especially during times of hormonal shifts such as after childbirth or during a woman’s menstrual cycle.

7. Brain size. Typically, men’s brains are 11-12% bigger than women’s brains. This size difference has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, but is explained by the difference in physical size between men and women. Men need more neurons to control their greater muscle mass and larger body size, thus generally have a larger brain.

8. Pain. Men and women perceive pain differently. In studies, women require more morphine than men to reach the same level of pain reduction. Women are also more likely to vocalize their pain and to seek treatment for their pain than are men. The area of the brain that is activated during pain is the amygdala, and researchers have discovered that in men, the right amygdala is activated and in women, the left amygdala is activated. The right amygdala has more connections with areas of the brain that control external functions while the right amygdala has more connections with internal functions. This difference probably explains why women perceive pain more intensely than do men.

9. Spatial ability. Men typically have stronger spatial abilities, or being able to mentally represent a shape and its dynamics, whereas women typically struggle in this area. Medical experts have discovered that women have a thicker parietal region of the brain, which hinders the ability to mentally rotate objects–an aspect of spatial ability. Research has shown this ability in babies as young as 5 months old, negating any ideas that these abilities were strengthened by environmental influences.

10. Susceptibility to disorders. Because of the way men and women use the two hemispheres of the brain differently, there are some disorders that men and women are susceptible to in different ways. Men are more apt to have dyslexia or other language problems. If women have dyslexia, they are more likely to compensate for it. Women, on the other hand, are more susceptible to mood disorders such as depression and anxiety. While handedness is not a disorder, these brain tendencies also explain why more men are left-handed than are women. Men are also more likely to be diagnosed with autism, ADHD, and Tourette’s Syndrome.
Ok point 1 has no medical reason shown and 7 is not a issue due to it being a purely matter of men naturally having a larger physique, but as we are talking about the brain developing almost from the very start with female characteristics the point 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 and 10 should apply to a certain extent.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:00 pm

Serafina wrote: Morality dictates both that we choose the solution the individual wants (Hippocratic Oath) and that we choose the treatment that causes less harm (Hippocratic Oath again). Changing the body is the only possible solution right now and most likely always the better solution.
Well here is a bag of worms.

IF the science is right the reason transgenders exist is because of a error/anamoly in the brain and if hormone treatment or another science could repair or treat it then that is really what should be fixed.

Also in this particular case and if the brain anomoly is proven to be the cause of transgenders the solution the individual wants (a sex change) would be proven to be without any doubt a direct symptom of the brain disorder.

As such the issue becomes, should we allow what could be percieved as a mutilation to the body of a physically healthy individual (Hippocratic Oath) with a mental disorder/anomoly instead of curing the disorder/anomoly (Hippocratic Oath) when the individuals insistance we do so is a direct and undeniable symptom of the disorder.

Serafina
Bridge Officer

Post by Serafina » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Are there any other aspects that male to female transgenders show in regards to having a "female brain" compared to a male one in regards to thought processes?.
Well, i did not find any study saying anything about this - such a study would be hard to make anyway.

But i'll add some personal experience and say that most of these seem to be true for transwomen.
As for me:
1. Human relationships. Women tend to communicate more effectively than men, focusing on how to create a solution that works for the group, talking through issues, and utilizes non-verbal cues such as tone, emotion, and empathy whereas men tend to be more task-oriented, less talkative, and more isolated. Men have a more difficult time understanding emotions that are not explicitly verbalized, while women tend to intuit emotions and emotional cues. These differences explain why men and women sometimes have difficulty communicating and why men-to-men friendships look different from friendships among women.
Oh, i'm quite empathic and have always been.
2. Left brain vs. both hemispheres. Men tend to process better in the left hemisphere of the brain while women tend to process equally well between the two hemispheres. This difference explains why men are generally stronger with left-brain activities and approach problem-solving from a task-oriented perspective while women typically solve problems more creatively and are more aware of feelings while communicating.
I definitely are quite feeling-oriented when communicating - well, at least that's what a lot of my communication is about.
As for problem-solving - well, a bit of both i suppose.
3. Mathematical abilities. An area of the brain called the inferior-parietal lobule (IPL) is typically significantly larger in men, especially on the left side, than in women. This section of the brain is thought to control mental mathematical ability, and probably explains why men frequently perform higher in mathematical tasks than do women. Interestingly, this is the same area of Einstein’s brain that was discovered to be abnormally large. The IPL also processes sensory information, and the larger right side in women allows them to focus on, "specific stimuli, such as a baby crying in the night."
I love math, but i would not say that i have an extraordinary gift at it. I'm good at it, but much less so than at other things.
4. Reaction to stress. Men tend to have a "fight or flight" response to stress situations while women seem to approach these situations with a "tend and befriend" strategy. Psychologist Shelley E. Taylor coined the phrase "tend and befriend" after recognizing that during times of stress women take care of themselves and their children (tending) and form strong group bonds (befriending). The reason for these different reactions to stress is rooted in hormones. The hormone oxytocin is released during stress in everyone. However, estrogen tends to enhance oxytocin resulting in calming and nurturing feelings whereas testosterone, which men produce in high levels during stress, reduces the effects of oxytocin.
Well, that's somewhat mixed. I can get quite protective of myself and others, but i generally try to talk about conflicts. Of course, if pressured enough i can get aggressive as well.
6. Emotions. Women typically have a larger deep limbic system than men, which allows them to be more in touch with their feelings and better able to express them, which promotes bonding with others. Because of this ability to connect, more women serve as caregivers for children. The down side to this larger deep limbic system is that it also opens women up to depression, especially during times of hormonal shifts such as after childbirth or during a woman’s menstrual cycle.
I'm quite emotional, tough i always repressed that when i was living in a male role.
9. Spatial ability. Men typically have stronger spatial abilities, or being able to mentally represent a shape and its dynamics, whereas women typically struggle in this area. Medical experts have discovered that women have a thicker parietal region of the brain, which hinders the ability to mentally rotate objects–an aspect of spatial ability. Research has shown this ability in babies as young as 5 months old, negating any ideas that these abilities were strengthened by environmental influences.
As with math, i'm not that good at it relative to other abilities.

More importantly, i behave quite female - i was often mocked for that earlier in my life, and most people that knew me were not surprised when i outed myself - many stated that it suited me better anyway

Serafina
Bridge Officer

Post by Serafina » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 pm

Well here is a bag of worms.

IF the science is right the reason transgenders exist is because of a error/anamoly in the brain and if hormone treatment or another science could repair or treat it then that is really what should be fixed.
Did you read what i wrote?
Because you are not addressing it.

Such a treatment (on an adult or child, tough maybe not a baby) would destroy ones personality and cause deep disorders and traumas. You just can't change gender identity like that.
The brain is by all means healthy, it is not broken - it just works slightly different.

Besides, the ability to do so is speculative at best. Testosterone and other Androgens evidently do not fix the "damage", else there would be no older transsexuals (the "damage" would have been fixed due to androgens). And such a massive change of the neurons inevitably causes problems unless you have some sort of magi-science.

Now, as i said previously - if you can prevent transsexuality from occuring, go for it. But don't mess with working brains - and the brain of a transsexual is working just fine.
Also in this particular case and if the brain anomoly is proven to be the cause of transgenders the solution the individual wants (a sex change) would be proven to be without any doubt a direct symptom of the brain disorder.
Are you saying that a transsexual would not be capable of making such decisions?
Sorry - but that's monstrous!
A transsexual is very well capable of making her or his own decisions.
The same logic has been used to force homosexuals to undergo anti-homosexual "therapy" - "they are sick and therefore we must make the decision for them".
As such the issue becomes, should we allow what could be percieved as a mutilation to the body of a physically healthy individual (Hippocratic Oath) with a mental disorder/anomoly instead of curing the disorder/anomoly (Hippocratic Oath) when the individuals insistance we do so is a direct and undeniable symptom of the disorder.
Again, that's WRONG.
Transsexuality is not a disorder that affects your decision-making ability.
Who are YOU to decide that they have no RIGHT to make such a decision - or how could anyone else make that decision?

I seriously hope you see what's wrong with this. You can't just decide to take the decision away from them.
Furthermore, you completely ignored the damage such a "brain-fix" would cause. You either wind up destroying ones personality, causing deep traumas or both. Gender identity is just too fundamental in ones personality.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Serafina wrote:
Well, i did not find any study saying anything about this - such a study would be hard to make anyway.

But i'll add some personal experience and say that most of these seem to be true for transwomen.
As for me:

Oh, i'm quite empathic and have always been.

I definitely are quite feeling-oriented when communicating - well, at least that's what a lot of my communication is about.
As for problem-solving - well, a bit of both i suppose.

I love math, but i would not say that i have an extraordinary gift at it. I'm good at it, but much less so than at other things.

Well, that's somewhat mixed. I can get quite protective of myself and others, but i generally try to talk about conflicts. Of course, if pressured enough i can get aggressive as well.

I'm quite emotional, tough i always repressed that when i was living in a male role.

As with math, i'm not that good at it relative to other abilities.

More importantly, i behave quite female - i was often mocked for that earlier in my life, and most people that knew me were not surprised when i outed myself - many stated that it suited me better anyway
While those are your perspectives of yourself i was more refering to transexuald using the same parts of the brain cis women do and having naturally and without hormone treatment the same brain make up as a cis woman like a smaller inferior-parietal lobule (IPL), producing estrogen, having a larger deep limbic system, having a thicker parietal region.....ect ect.

Now these are the reasons WHY women react the way they do and have/not have the abilities discussed so anybody claiming to have/not have the abilities should have a simular brain make up.

Serafina
Bridge Officer

Post by Serafina » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Yes, quite - but as we agreed, the scientific evidence is not yet conclusive on that - and on that regard, there seem to be no studies to date at all.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Serafina wrote: Did you read what i wrote?
Because you are not addressing it.

Such a treatment (on an adult or child, tough maybe not a baby) would destroy ones personality and cause deep disorders and traumas. You just can't change gender identity like that.
But the preferance is basedin essance on a brain anomoly and would not the change mean that the person would now react to external stimuli in a more standard manner AND in the way that was in keeping with the way they were raised and treated all their lives?.
The brain is by all means healthy, it is not broken - it just works slightly different.
I would say that healthy in regards to the brain is not the same as any other organ due to its function.
Besides, the ability to do so is speculative at best. Testosterone and other Androgens evidently do not fix the "damage", else there would be no older transsexuals (the "damage" would have been fixed due to androgens). And such a massive change of the neurons inevitably causes problems unless you have some sort of magi-science.
Perhaps but im not a doctor, geneticist or a psycologist.
Now, as i said previously - if you can prevent transsexuality from occuring, go for it. But don't mess with working brains - and the brain of a transsexual is working just fine.
I would say that it is working fine from a certain perspective but that argument could be make for many other conditions.

Are you saying that a transsexual would not be capable of making such decisions?
Sorry - but that's monstrous!
A transsexual is very well capable of making her or his own decisions.
The same logic has been used to force homosexuals to undergo anti-homosexual "therapy" - "they are sick and therefore we must make the decision for them".
In most regards a transsexual can make perfectly reasoned decisions but in regards to the issue we are discussing by showing scientifically that the issue is caused by a brain disorder the decision to change gender is a symptom.

Again, that's WRONG.
Transsexuality is not a disorder that affects your decision-making ability.
In most circumstances you are correct your decision making ability i would think is unaffected, however if the science is proven correct and transsexuality is a symptom of a brain anomoly/disorder then in regards to transsexuality your decision-making ability is coloured by it.
Who are YOU to decide that they have no RIGHT to make such a decision - or how could anyone else make that decision?.

I seriously hope you see what's wrong with this. You can't just decide to take the decision away from them.
I am not taking the decision away from anybody, i already told you i would support a change even if the sceience showed it was mearly a personal preferance, in fact that is the very foundation of my concern.

Look at it this way, IF a transgender could take a treatment that "cured" the initial brain anomoly and put the hormone levels in the individuals body to the point of a standard male then after a period of physical and emotional adjustment that person still decided to switch genders i would be more comfortable with my support.

However as we know it is all about the brain and that is a big unknown

Furthermore, you completely ignored the damage such a "brain-fix" would cause. You either wind up destroying ones personality, causing deep traumas or both. Gender identity is just too fundamental in ones personality.
I am not a doctor as i said so i have no idea if any damage would result or not but in regards to my concern i am assuming a treatment that does not.

Serafina
Bridge Officer

Post by Serafina » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 pm

But the preferance is basedin essance on a brain anomoly and would not the change mean that the person would now react to external stimuli in a more standard manner AND in the way that was in keeping with the way they were raised and treated all their lives?.
So instead of respecting their wishes, you want them to conform?
How they are raised is hardly an issue, given that they would still have memories of feeling female. That's far more important than how they were raised.
I would say that healthy in regards to the brain is not the same as any other organ due to its function.
So you are saying what?
A transsexuals brain works just fine in every regard, except that it has a gender identity that does not fit with the body.
Why is changing the body the less preferable option to you, especially since it would be far less dangerous and is already possible?
I would say that it is working fine from a certain perspective but that argument could be make for many other conditions.
Then show me what is wrong with a transsexuals brain that requires such a radical change or justifies it.
The gender identity is fixed just as well by adapting the body.
In most regards a transsexual can make perfectly reasoned decisions but in regards to the issue we are discussing by showing scientifically that the issue is caused by a brain disorder the decision to change gender is a symptom.
As i said - what gives you the fucking right to decide that?
In most circumstances you are correct your decision making ability i would think is unaffected, however if the science is proven correct and transsexuality is a symptom of a brain anomoly/disorder then in regards to transsexuality your decision-making ability is coloured by it.
So what, even if that is true?
You essentially say:
"What she wants is wrong, therefore her decision making ability must be impaired, therefore she must not be allowed to make that decision."
That is not only a gross violation of morality, but flat-out contradicts that you advocated freedom of that choice even if it was proven that it was no biological issue!
Look at it this way, IF a transgender could take a treatment that "cured" the initial brain anomoly and put the hormone levels in the individuals body to the point of a standard male then after a period of physical and emotional adjustment that person still decided to switch genders i would be more comfortable with my support.
Uhm...why?
Are you essentially advocating that a transwoman would have to undergo radical brain alteration just to test whether she actually wants to be female? What the fuck?!
Such a change would be permanent, that's not something you toy around with!

Transsexuals do not switch genders. My gender has always been female. I only took the decisions to start acting accordingly.
I am not a doctor as i said so i have no idea if any damage would result or not but in regards to my concern i am assuming a treatment that does not.
I am not using any medical terms here either.
And a treatment that can just flip a switch in ones brain would still be wrong - because if you want to avoid any traumata, you would have to remove all memories as well.
Indeed, it is morally evil even if we disregard that - you would literarly strip ones identity away.
Ask yourself a simple question:
How would you feel if you would suddenly wake up with a female identity and body?
Would that still be you? Can you even imagine such a change?
And how would you feel if someone forced that on you?