For want of a better title: Crazy French People

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Khas
Starship Captain

For want of a better title: Crazy French People

Post by Khas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:41 pm

I don't mean everyone in France is crazy, just these people. Listen to the article!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =123012611

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: For want of a better title: Crazy French People

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Although I distrust this type of governing system, there is nothing crazy about it, as long as the King is concerned about his citizens and does things right. It also allows him to cut through all the chit chat, and depending on his back up, could give the finger to maaaany parasites.
I believe this can be done in a republic as well, but takes much longer.
Of course, true kingdom is a double edged sword, largely due to the degree of power the people are willing to concede.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Although I distrust this type of governing system, there is nothing crazy about it, as long as the King is concerned about his citizens and does things right. It also allows him to cut through all the chit chat, and depending on his back up, could give the finger to maaaany parasites.
I believe this can be done in a republic as well, but takes much longer.
Of course, true kingdom is a double edged sword, largely due to the degree of power the people are willing to concede.
It's just that when I heard the report on the radio, these people said that Louis XVI was a good king. Ummm. Yeeeaaaahhh. There's a reason the people beheaded him. Last time I checked, it was for being the opposite of a good king.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:10 am

You're sure they talked about the 16th one? He literally lived in his own little world, and the aristocracy around him was one of decadence and corruption. Now some historians think that the revolution was not so spontaneous, and somehow pushed by the Brits as a revenge against the help the French gave to the WASP North Americans earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:You're sure they talked about the 16th one? He literally lived in his own little world, and the aristocracy around him was one of decadence and corruption. Now some historians think that the revolution was not so spontaneous, and somehow pushed by the Brits as a revenge against the help the French gave to the WASP North Americans earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if this was true.
Yup. They said he was a "Progressive King", in favor of a democracy, and that his overthrowing was blasphemous. They use the logic that everything good about France was made back when the monarchy was in power.

The first part is utter bullshit. The only reasons he supported us during the Revolutionary War were: A) Ben Franklin and B) The fact that he wanted revenge on the English for the French-and-Indian War. (That's what it's called here in the U.S. I don't remember what it's called in Europe.)

The second part is also crap. Sure, the church was overthrown in France at that time, but that's only because they were as corrupt as the aristocracy. The peasants had every right to overthrow an oppressive and corrupt aristocracy and church.

The third part, is at best, pure coincedince.