What is the Stupidest Thing You've EVER Heard (In Person)

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Khas
Starship Captain

What is the Stupidest Thing You've EVER Heard (In Person)

Post by Khas » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 am

Things posted on the internet don't count here, you have to have heard them with your own ears. Here we go!!!
Believe me, this one's a doozy.
In my 12th grade Anthropology class, we had a debate on the origins of mankind. We were in six groups:

Literal Creation
Creation Science
Mainstream Religion (Theistic Evolution)
Darwinian Evolution (One I Chose)
Cosmologic Evolution
Space Colonization (See nBSG's finale)

My teacher turned to the Literal Creation group and said: "Do you know why there aren't any unicorns? Because they couldn't make it on the Ark." And one girl in that group said "really?".

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Re: What is the Stupidest Thing You've EVER Heard (In Person)

Post by The Dude » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 am

"Don't buy that couch, immigrants have bugs in their couches."
~My Father in Law

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:12 am

Khas wrote: Space Colonization (See nBSG's finale)
I don't have a problem with the nBSG finale, it made sense in the context for how that 'verse was set up by the show's creators and writers. On the other hand, I would have problems someone who claimed that in real life humans (our ancestors) came from somewhere in outer space, and colonized the Earth.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:07 am

Funny you should ask . . .

Last weekend at a party two women claimed the moon landings were faked, noting that it's all over the internet. I was shocked, never having heard anyone actually say that in person before. Nuts on the internet are one thing, but I was in the same room with these!

I was about to ask them about their opinion of the Holocaust and 9/11, but decided it was probably best I didn't know any more of their opinions. Besides which, I didn't know all the latest moon hoax BS arguments, since I don't commonly waste my time with such drivel. I waste my time on entirely different forms of drivel. :-)

I did take great pleasure, however, in later correcting one of them when she claimed JFK was killed in 1969. I said that no, we landed on the moon on July 20, 1969, but that JFK was shot November 22, 1963. She tried to argue the JFK date but her attempt to smack me down via pulling it up on her iPhone resulted in her own crow-eating and asking how I knew that.

Needless to say, though that one-up I earned was not via an exercise in rational argumentation, I think it reverberated nicely among the listeners to the earlier moon landing conversation regarding who knew their shit and who didn't.

(Though honestly, I didn't know I remembered the dates with such specificity, but I was able to pull the info out of my ass. Apparently my ass thought she was stupid, too, and let me have the right information. Perhaps it has internet. I dunno.)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:19 am

For Moon Hoax busting, just go to BadAstronomy.com's pages for the salient issues and how to debunk them. In addition to that, there is also an excellent set of episodes of the Mythbusters and Penn and Teller's Bullshit that deal with this nonsense.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:14 am

Dear god.. so many things..

It would have to be... tenth grade mathmatics... we were doing pretty basic stuff, I mean beyond basic stuff... this was just a general course and not heavy into anything complicated.

Now I lived in an area where we had classes that lasted 90 minutes... remember this point.

I showed up 10 seconds late for class (as always) proceeded to take out my books and prepared to struggle to stay awake in my last class of the day...

We had the standard "drills" that most students had, pointless easy stuff...

One of the questions HAUNTS me to this day.. it is as follows.

(-3) - (-4) =

Now anyone with half a brain knows the answer is 1. And even you some how got it wrong, when the teacher informed you of the correct answer you'd be satisfied and done with it.

Not one student. He argued with the teacher for the remaining 80 minutes of class... The teacher took out calculators, wrote it up on the board, hell, he even gave the student OTHER examples that he agreed with..

Still the student remained confident in his answer of negative seven... For eighty minutes of class... I heard nothing but his arguments...

It ranked up there with the 12th grade student who could not read the word "Together."

BTW: Both these kids... passed...

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Khas wrote: Space Colonization (See nBSG's finale)
I don't have a problem with the nBSG finale, it made sense in the context for how that 'verse was set up by the show's creators and writers. On the other hand, I would have problems someone who claimed that in real life humans (our ancestors) came from somewhere in outer space, and colonized the Earth.
-Mike
Oh. I wasn't saying that that was the stupid one. That was just one of the groups we could choose for the origin of man. I was saying that the girl asking "really?" to the teacher's unicorn joke was the stupid one.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 pm

2046 wrote:(Though honestly, I didn't know I remembered the dates with such specificity, but I was able to pull the info out of my ass. Apparently my ass thought she was stupid, too, and let me have the right information. Perhaps it has internet. I dunno.)
Gives a whole new meaning to torrent and peer to peer.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:11 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
2046 wrote:(Though honestly, I didn't know I remembered the dates with such specificity, but I was able to pull the info out of my ass. Apparently my ass thought she was stupid, too, and let me have the right information. Perhaps it has internet. I dunno.)
Gives a whole new meaning to torrent and peer to peer.
Hey hey hey, keep that RJ-45 to yourself, boy. I know you wanna plug in to my ethernet jack, but this is a secure network. What kind of person do you think I am, some DHCP giving IP addresses to just anyone?