Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
The Dude
Jedi Knight

Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Post by The Dude » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:13 am

Beeb
Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

US President Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize. Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."
Guys been in less then a year and wins a Peace Prize. I'm not sure whether I should be laughing or what.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Obama Wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:19 pm

Yes, I heard that this morning.
Nobel stuff is matter of jokes.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:23 pm

Has been for years, even in science.
It's another institution that meant something when it first came into the world, but has since been lowered to a political instrument...

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:45 pm

What the hell?

I'm a big fan of Obama, but for Christsakes the Swedes have jumped so far over the gun here I'm not sure what to say. Except what the hell?

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:50 pm

I'll admit the guy is above average as US Presidents go but I think it would have been better to wait and see if any of these improvements stick, this seems rather premature.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:14 pm

I agree, nothing that Obama has done while in office as the President of the United States has been all that extraordinary. Yes, it's a great achivement in that he rose to become the first black president of the U.S., but beyond that, I've yet to see anything that is deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:11 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Yes, it's a great achivement in that he rose to become the first black president of the U.S.
-Mike
It's not like people were not spoon fed with several seasons of 24. :D