Roman Polanski

For any and all other discussion, i.e., not relating to Star Wars or Star Trek or standards of evidence. A reminder: Don't spam, don't flame, and stay reasonable.
Starship Captain

Roman Polanski

Post by 2046 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:29 am

. . . is a dirtbag who should rot in jail getting "consensually" raped in the butt by men with extremely, frighteningly large genitalia.

Also, my compliments to the majority of SDN posters who seem to get that. How very (strangely) not-leftist of them.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Roman Polanski

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:14 am

Has it been been proved that he raped that 13 years old girl back in 77?

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:47 am

He was initially charged with rape, but took a lesser conviction under a plea bargain that gave him psych testing in lieu of prison time. There's a documentary about this case that I saw part of.

Anyway, yes, it is pretty much proven, and criminals must suffer the consequences of their crimes. I think that's something everyone can agree on.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Has it been been proved that he raped that 13 years old girl back in 77?
Yeah, he even admitted it.

. . . is a dirtbag who should rot in jail getting "consensually" raped in the butt by men with extremely, frighteningly large genitalia.

Also, my compliments to the majority of SDN posters who seem to get that. How very (strangely) not-leftist of them.
*Rolls Eyes* Yeah as if political affiliation has much to do with throwing the guy in jail. Most sane folk would acknowledge that even if he hasn't raped anyone since, he was convicted and then fled prosecution and deserves to be in jail.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:29 pm

The Dude wrote:*Rolls Eyes* Yeah as if political affiliation has much to do with throwing the guy in jail.
The leftist media, Huffington Post and other lefty blogs, and assorted Hollywood people are all coming out in Polanski's defense. Europe has, too, but I don't necessarily see that as political (though I'm sure there's a bit of that) as much as cultural, though I still think they're pretty screwed up in the head. But in any case, it's empirical data, Dude, nothing more.

Given the far left stance of many at SDN, I honestly expected to see a lot of support for the dirtbag, and was genuinely surprised when that didn't happen. Hence my desire to offer kudos for their pleasant inconsistency.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:43 pm

2046 wrote:
The leftist media, Huffington Post and other lefty blogs, and assorted Hollywood people are all coming out in Polanski's defense. Europe has, too, but I don't necessarily see that as political (though I'm sure there's a bit of that) as much as cultural, though I still think they're pretty screwed up in the head. But in any case, it's empirical data, Dude, nothing more.
Well I think we can safely discount the ramblings of a news organization that puts out vaccine scaremongering tripe, along with blogs. Same with Hollywood (why anyone puts any stock in what modern day Bards have to say is beyond me).
Given the far left stance of many at SDN, I honestly expected to see a lot of support for the dirtbag, and was genuinely surprised when that didn't happen. Hence my desire to offer kudos for their pleasant inconsistency.
Yeah, SDN is actually quite for punishing crooks. Once you get past the usual Internet tough guy shite, most are against the death penalty but other then that you usually see broad support for jailing rapists and such.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Actually, everybody, big names from left to right of the politically "clean" spectrum, jump in defense of this guy. Even the head of the French green party that did a good score for the European elections, Daniel Cohn Bendit. There's a video about him from the 70s where you see him adulating pedophilia on a mainstream TV show, and implying that people are just too stuck up to talk openly (about kids unzipping an old's man trousers and starting to fiddle with his penis, which gave him a boner).
I think the politics are rather disgusting --although I reckon that there's very few real and mature debates about pedophilia.
Polanski got equal support from the actual Culture Minister Frédéric Mitterrand (1), who once put down in a book how he paid for Thai young men.
By saving Polanski, they're saving their sorry asses the same way.

If Polanski was clearly proven guilty, then serves him right.

On the other hand, there's hypocrisy in the air. We are all self-appointed judges of moral and virtue, but we're just glad we don't have those kind of drives.

Over time, I started to see such stories of sexual intercourse with minors --often above 11 years old though-- to be the expression of a drive defined by the taking of such young flesh, the forbidden fruit. The psychic arousal defined by being an authority in giving the virgin creature his or her first sexual experience, both spoiling the body with depravation, breaking the seal of purity, and the pride of disclosing the reality of an act defined as repugnable by the low people of the society, as a mentor leading his or her student through a repetitive trial into adulthood, while gaining a form of control over the subject, which adds a whole greater degree of psychological gratification over the mere physical orgasm.
There's clearly a form of predation there, but I think it's also much more complex.
How many pedophiles are there, and then how many of them are there but we don't know?

I still wonder if there's not some form of political message in that. Switzerland is under extreme pressure from the European countries (among other powers) and it's possible that the message is that Helvetic justice shall know no compromise for pedophiles and rapists. Any occasion to affirm strong independence and pride is good to pick.
Perhaps there's some planned bargain between the US and Switzerland (US government pressured by its citizens for justice, Switzerland then getting something in exchange behind the curtain), while letting Switzerland also giving Europe the finger?

I'll also note that this didn't necessarily make big news in all western medias.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/po ... over1.html

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:20 pm

2046 wrote:The leftist media, Huffington Post and other lefty blogs, and assorted Hollywood people are all coming out in Polanski's defense. Europe has, too, but I don't necessarily see that as political (though I'm sure there's a bit of that) as much as cultural, though I still think they're pretty screwed up in the head. But in any case, it's empirical data, Dude, nothing more
People are naturally inclined to be more forgiving of criminal acts when they're committed by people "in their group," people they identify with or support politically or emotionally. That has nothing to do with politics, that's just nature, as offensive and infuriating as it is, and the right wing is every bit as guilty as the left when it comes to defending "their own" from the legal ramifications of their actions. Fair and equal application of the law is the ideal, the truth is often not so satisfying. It's nice to see someone of wealth and privilege pay for a crime.