The Borg vs the Daleks

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.

Who wins?

"Resistance is futile!"
55%
"Exterminate!"
45%

Total votes: 11

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:50 pm

The borg sphere blew up, yes...because of the Enterprise. There's no indication there was any negative effects on the sphere.
Well its inbuilt energy weapons were doing less damage than your typical hand-grenade... I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that one.
Maybe they could expand their force fields, but they'd run the risk of shredding their own mates up.
Not quite, if they spread out across the sphere. The Daleks are among the smartest species in sci-fi. It took them about five or ten minutes to open a captured Prison-TARDIS in Doomsday and unleash millions of Daleks upon Earth. It took intervention from The Oncoming Storm and a bit of reality-bending in order to defeat the Daleks.
Maybe, but the Doctor was thinking about using a van cassadyne energy wave, so they obviously can't effect all things.
Well he is the Doctor, he's even smarter than the Daleks are. And the Van Cassadyne energy was very much going to kill everything in the whole system.

It was also later implied that the Daleks seen in The Parting of the Ways were inferior to normal Daleks on a technological level; they were created from scavenged human technology and materials.
That depends on their level of control of how small they can make it or even if they have the emitters for it inside, which we don't know.
I think it's best to discard it, essentially. And perhaps make an alternate debate with a different Whoniverse side involved; the Cybermen, which are massively inferior to Daleks. In that scenario; the Cybermen would essentially be facing their Star Trek-based doppelgangers.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:07 pm

Narsil wrote:Well its inbuilt energy weapons were doing less damage than your typical hand-grenade... I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that one.
It could be anything from damage obtained during the fight with the Fed fleet to those weapons being used set to a not powerful setting or weren't that strong by nature. I don't know if what was being fired was energy weapons or torps. Torps have variable yields and we aren't privy to the plans of the queen either. She may have wanted Picard again. She might have sensed his presence and switched things up. Who knows.
Not quite, if they spread out across the sphere. The Daleks are among the smartest species in sci-fi. It took them about five or ten minutes to open a captured Prison-TARDIS in Doomsday and unleash millions of Daleks upon Earth. It took intervention from The Oncoming Storm and a bit of reality-bending in order to defeat the Daleks.
They appeared on a cube. And if they move into the corridors, they'll have to be careful, if they try to overload their absorbing capabilities.
Well he is the Doctor, he's even smarter than the Daleks are. And the Van Cassadyne energy was very much going to kill everything in the whole system.
Anything with a brain, so the sheild doesn't stop that wide a range.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:24 pm

Narsil wrote:Not quite, if they spread out across the sphere. The Daleks are among the smartest species in sci-fi. It took them about five or ten minutes to open a captured Prison-TARDIS in Doomsday and unleash millions of Daleks upon Earth. It took intervention from The Oncoming Storm and a bit of reality-bending in order to defeat the Daleks.
Daleks are every bit as quirky as the Borg. Stairs, for example, can be problematic for some Daleks, as smart as they are.

It's not easy to kill Daleks, but then, we are pitting eighty against eight thousand drones.

The question that we should be asking is if Borg nanoprobes can get into the crispy little creature inside the cyborg Dalek shell. Can the Borg figure out how to assimilate a Dalek before the Daleks can figure out how to kill all the Borg?

And I'm not sure.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:55 am

That's why I still haven't voted. We've got shields that seem to melt/rip apart solid matter and injection tublules shouldn't be any different. We've got brute force blocking shields and drones that can fire energy blasts against machines that can absorb energy and fire back and fly. Not all energy is blocked by a Dalek's shield, so there's a chance transporters can be used, but I can't be sure. If there was an example of levels of energy they've taken and kept going, we might get closer to a more definitive answer.

Edit: Okay, after looking at the page JMS linked to, sonics may work. So, we need to know if the borg have ever had any knowledge of sonic weapons/technology besides comms. This'll be tough.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:34 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Daleks are every bit as quirky as the Borg. Stairs, for example, can be problematic for some Daleks, as smart as they are.
Not in the new series, they fly:
It's not easy to kill Daleks, but then, we are pitting eighty against eight thousand drones.
One Dalek would have gone up against five million Cybermen and expected to win in "Doomsday", which is an episode of the 2006 series. I thought eight thousand drones might add up a little bit since the Cybermen lacked shields or any sort of ability to assimilate Daleks (but they can and will assimilate humans).
The question that we should be asking is if Borg nanoprobes can get into the crispy little creature inside the cyborg Dalek shell.
And will that work, if at all. I mean, the Daleks probably have some sort of reverse-hacking procedure, and the nanoprobes have a particularly affinity towards blood, which Daleks seem to lack. Oh, and the fact is that Daleks have KE shields as per all of their most recent appearances (Dalek, Parting of the Ways, Doomsday)
Can the Borg figure out how to assimilate a Dalek before the Daleks can figure out how to kill all the Borg?
And assimilating a single Dalek is not assimilating eighty Daleks. When Daleks encounter the (rare) strategy that can damage them, they will very literally repair the damage and adapt to the method within a minute, as per Doomsday.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:38 am

GStone wrote:If there was an example of levels of energy they've taken and kept going, we might get closer to a more definitive answer.
The one in Dalek (2005) got slammed into Earth so hard that it made its own crater and burned in it for three days. Its shields, weapons, most of its mobility, and I'm assuming power source were all damaged in the impact, but it managed to later repair itself and kill over two hundred armed guards and personnel before being subdued by its own angst.

As for sonics, can the new Daleks be damaged by them? The high-pitched sonic ray was fired at an unshielded and much earlier style Dalek. The Time War era was when the Dalek technology was typically capable of taking over the universe. Until, of course, the Timelords intervened.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:15 pm

Narsil has proposed this same thread many times, I think he just likes hearing people like me say that the daleks would easily emiliate anything dumb enough to fight them. Dr. Who is a very open ended universe and I believe that a single cube cut off from the collective simply won't be able to beat 80 of them...

Maybe 10...

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:01 pm

Trinoya wrote:Narsil has proposed this same thread many times
Not exactly. I set the Daleks against different foes each time. I just have a particular ire against the Borg because of how bloody cheap the makers of trek were... just recycled Cybermen with different makeup.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:02 pm

Going back and re-reading, I'm going to say that the cube being cut off from the collective probably gives this to the Daleks, although I still don't know that much about the Daleks.

Borg often don't function well when cut off from the collective.