What happens when SW ships get too close to a T Tauri Star?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Khas
Starship Captain

What happens when SW ships get too close to a T Tauri Star?

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:51 am

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: What happens when SW ships get too close to a T Tauri St

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:37 am

Color me unimpressed. The Old Guard of the loyal opposition must be tearing what little hair they've got left over how SW ship firepower and shields are being depicted in The Clone Wars and Rebels series.
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:30 pm

And here's the thing - this is a T Tauri Star, which means that it hasn't even started proton-proton fusion in its core yet, and is only glowing by a combination of gravitational collapse and deuterium fusion.

Note: Hera only says "forming star", but given that the only forming stars that produce enough light to actually glow are T Tauri stars, we can infer that it was one.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:00 pm

I am soooooo angry! TIE pilot suits should've allowed them to exit the fighter and surf the protosolar prominences!

Clearly, the folks who made this are evil minimalists. I am so angry I am going to make a bad CG video where blocky characters act out my rage with guns, grenades, and assault on innocent convention-goers. That'll teach them to do it right next time!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Khas wrote:And here's the thing - this is a T Tauri Star, which means that it hasn't even started proton-proton fusion in its core yet, and is only glowing by a combination of gravitational collapse and deuterium fusion.

Note: Hera only says "forming star", but given that the only forming stars that produce enough light to actually glow are T Tauri stars, we can infer that it was one.

If we were wanting to be very generous here, we could say that this is a protostar on the very cusp of becoming a main sequence star and is several solar masses in size. Even still this damning evidence against AoTC ICS-level shields given that the TIE Defender and the Ghost are above average shield capacity for small ships, but most definitely for the Ghost herself, which is a ship on the same scale and power as the Millennium Falcon. By all rights the Ghost should be able to withstand the radiation from this protostar with ease given it is supposed to have megaton-class shields.
-Mike

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:33 am

Hmm, I wonder how damaging this really is though. Obviously it's not ICS level compatible, but that's another thing altogether. I've read up on stellar radiation before while researching for some of the various 'Trek examples, but I'm pretty much blanked on T Tauri stars. From some brief skimming on the topic however, it doesn't appear that it would significantly diminishes the overall intensity of the radiation the ships would be subjected to. Even if these stars haven't reached a state of fusion in their core yet, from what I've found so far, those oversized infants are still quite intense, even capable of being more luminous and apparently putting out some intense x-ray emissions and highly energetic solar winds compared to our own sun.

Considering these are just one man fighters as well, I'm particularly curious about the supposedly unshielded TIE Interceptors. Even though they ultimately failed in such proximity, I can't help but wonder what kind of thermal protection they were using. By my estimation, any currently known materials should have already been reduced to slag well before the first ship broke up or the second tried to bug out. Let alone the shielded Ghost, which managed to limp out, or the Y-wings, who spent almost the same extended length of time as the Ghost, about a full minute, in close proximity to the star and came out apparently little worse for the wear.