Another nerf for SW firepower...

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Khas
Starship Captain

Another nerf for SW firepower...

Post by Khas » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:10 pm

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZquExNRmDY

EDITED.
Last edited by Khas on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Re: Another nerf for SW firepower...

Post by SpacePaladin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:15 pm

What does this have to do with Star Wars?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Aw shit, wrong link. Let me fix that.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:58 pm

I was beginning to wonder myself, other than it was interesting to hear the dialog about the metals in the surrounding rock on the very planet that later gets a heavy bombardment in TDiC.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Wow. Just wow. And those were the heavy turbolaser batteries on Imperial-class star destoyers, too. Now we know why the light cruiser in "Ghosts of Geonosis" had to get so close to do the damage it did to the air shaft opening. Also, even if the turbolasers were dialed down in output, it doesn't say much for power generation and shield capability if megajoule-range firepower can take down a localized shield in about a minute of continuous bombardment.
-Mike

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:02 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Wow. Just wow. And those were the heavy turbolaser batteries on Imperial-class star destoyers, too. Now we know why the light cruiser in "Ghosts of Geonosis" had to get so close to do the damage it did to the air shaft opening. Also, even if the turbolasers were dialed down in output, it doesn't say much for power generation and shield capability if megajoule-range firepower can take down a localized shield in about a minute of continuous bombardment.
-Mike
I think that's the one they scavenged from Geonosis. If so, then it not being in tip-top shape is understandable. It fell under the firepower of droid guns.

Still, this is a far cry from the ESB shield, which was expected to indefinitely hold off the firepower of 5 ISDs, an SSD, and whatever reinforcements they eventually could call upon.

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 am

Not unexpected with this kind of durability in their capital ships.

Hot knife, meet butter. Just past the 1 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80OXey4Ar1s

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:41 am

Naturally, the shield overheat was just because it was balky tech, and Thrawn was totally setting the dial-a-yield at 0.000000000000000000000000000000001%, approximately.

Side-note: did Thrawn say "seize fire"?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:54 am

Mike DiCenso wrote: megajoule-range firepower
You're very generous.

Oh wait, you were giving the cumulative value.

Seriously, if anyone ever tries to tell me I am just trying to nerf Star Wars, whether from not counting Rebels or on that old "vaporize a small town" page, I'll just point them to this and say something suitably sarcastic.

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:55 am

2046 wrote:Side-note: did Thrawn say "seize fire"?
That's most likely just his accent. It's quite close to "Cease fire".

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:11 am

Iscander wrote:Not unexpected with this kind of durability in their capital ships.

Hot knife, meet butter. Just past the 1 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80OXey4Ar1s
They look to be traveling with a relative speed of over 100 m/s since the Interdictor class seems to be about the size of an ISD and with a guesstimated combined mass of, say 35,000,000 metric tons (based on ST-v-SW.net's volumetrics table) that's a KE = 0.5*m*v^2 of ≈175 GJ. The collision takes about 7 seconds to reach a net rest for an average force of F =m*a ≈ 0.5 GN all along the blade edge. This would handily destroy standard structural steel, but high-tensile steel such as AerMet 340 should be able to deform and absorb that, eventually. So we're looking at materials at least on par and probably better than modern construction materials (again fitting my general durasteel ≈ 2*steel.)

As for the torbolaser bolts striking near Kanan, I think we can chuck those into the "Too stupidly low" bin along with things like VOY: "Alliances". Additionally we see significantly greater, but still not great, levels of damage after the bombardment than could have been caused by the mere blasts that were shown near Kanan. However this episode does clearly suggest that a single turbolaser bolt does not reach WMD status.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm

The Interdictor is significantly smaller than an ISD, so those figures are much too high.

See: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0325092432

Assuming that's what they're using for scale on Rebels, you're looking at a mass perhaps one-tenth of the ISD at best, and probably even less, and a massive reduction in velocity to match.

Edit: If I were to eyeball guesstimate, I'd put the mass of the 600m Interdictor at 3.5 million tonnes and the other ship at 1.5 million or so, perhaps less since it is skinny and a carrier. The velocity should be closer to 50-75m/s.

So the carrier KE assuming a stationary Interdictor should come out to . . . oh, wait, you didn't convert from metric tonnes to kilograms when you did it the first time, did you? I get 4375 GJ on the low end for the carrier KE. The force comes out to something like 6GN assuming 3.5 million tonnes and 1.75m/s².

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:12 pm

2046 wrote:The Interdictor is significantly smaller than an ISD, so those figures are much too high.

See: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0325092432
You are correct they are smaller (hence I only used the low mass estimate not an average) but in the episode they are bigger than in that image, roughly on the same scale as an ISD's size, but yes the mass should be several times less (1/4, 1/5, I'd think the gravity projectors should be heavy). And they still easily fit a corvette in their hanger opening much like an ISD (REB: "Stealth Strike").

And yes, I did forget to convert from tonnes to kg *face palm.* I was wondering why the numbers seemed too low.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:12 pm

359 wrote:
Iscander wrote:As for the torbolaser bolts striking near Kanan, I think we can chuck those into the "Too stupidly low" bin along with things like VOY: "Alliances". Additionally we see significantly greater, but still not great, levels of damage after the bombardment than could have been caused by the mere blasts that were shown near Kanan. However this episode does clearly suggest that a single turbolaser bolt does not reach WMD status.

The problem is that this is pretty much what we've come to see and expect from SW firepower as it has been shown so far in Rebels and even in TCW. For example, the pathetic showing from the light cruiser in "Ghosts of Geonosis" or the B-wing weapons test in "Wings of the Master".

At least in contrast to VOY's "Alliances", we have many other showings of very high firepower and we also have clear cut statements that a photon torpedo and its predecessor the photonic torpedo, can be dialed in yield across very extreme ranges.
-Mike

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:00 am

The Interdictor seems much larger in this scene than I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3SRXyQUMvY

Crashing ships into them seems to be the preferred Rebel method of dealing with interdictors.

@359

I think it just surprised me how dramatic the collision was. It basically bisected the Interdictor.
Then again I felt the same way when I saw the ramming scene in Rogue One.
It shouldn't be surprising with more realistic materials, narrative power of ramming aside.