Just some general info about star wars ships

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Bambi
Redshirt

Post by Bambi » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:01 pm

well behind the magic has many different expansions but the one i used for this has much more on the individual ships and much more like fighters, frigate, cruisers, and even ground vehicles like the AT-AT, and muc more but it is pretty old it was made in like 98 so. but it is pretty cool to go to for a quick reference. i also found a star trek website dont know how accurate it is but it is called www.lcarscom.net it has a bunch of things that is where i got the speed for warp 9 and all the other warp facters.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:43 pm

Bambi wrote:i also found a star trek website dont know how accurate it is but it is called www.lcarscom.net it has a bunch of things that is where i got the speed for warp 9 and all the other warp facters.
Unless a website lists its source or how it got it's information, it's usually best to take that kind of information with a grain of salt. A lot of the warp velocities that people use come from the TM or Encyclopedia, which is often contradicted by the canon.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:18 am

Bambi, if you are going to take information off of websites, please check the sources cited by the website first, if at all possible. Otherwise, try going to a website that clearly marks out what is canon and what is not, a good example of this is:

http://www.ditl.org/

But even here, mistakes are made, so look closely! As Socar pointed out, many sites use non-canon background or fanon (fan made) information. In either Star Trek or Star Wars, the final arbitar is what we see in the live-action TV shows and movies, or in the case of SW, the movies themselves. All else is suspect.
-Mike

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:44 am

The best example I can think of are supposed ion cannons on ISD.

Because, you see, if ISDs have Ions cannons, then what's the deal with being forced to snipe at Tantive IV with lasers? :)

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:48 pm

I'm sure certain people would rationalize that by claiming that ISD-mk1 doesn't have foreward facing ion cannons and that they are the aft most big turret guns on the dorsal sides, and that ISD-mk2 does have the ion cannons, or some such crap. This of course negates the lack of ion cannon use against the Falcon in TESB, but I'm sure that can be explained away too.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:53 am

Come to think of it, in none of the PT, particularly AoTC and RoTS do we hear mention of ion cannons, nor see any evidence that the Seperatists and Republic starships make use of them, even when it would have been highly advantageous to do so.
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:50 am

Well, does anyone know what those blue white blasts are that fly around the endor battle? One is seen on the left side of the screen after we switch to an external shot of a Y wing chased by 2 TIES, which is right after the pilot screams 'I'm hit!'. The Y wing crashes into the SD or blows up before impact and the blue white blast passes between 2 SDs. The other is seen coming from the left side of the screen to the right after the Falcon makes a left around the bridge of a SD. This second blast hits either the bridge/shield generator or runs into some kind of shield, but I think it was the bridge tower itself.

Assuming that these aren't mini-ion cannon blasts, what are they? I can find no reference to them. Are they missles, cause that might explain it, but I keep getting the feeling they're energy blasts.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:20 am

Where does the notion of blue/ white ion cannon shots come from? In TESB Echo Base's ion cannon fires red pulses. There is also the issue of ISDs and Rebel ships not having anything that looks like the Echo Base ion cannon. The only ship that looks like it might be equipped with ion cannons is the CIS frigate from RotS.

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:42 am

I think that's Lucasarts fault - they made ion cannons blue in X-wing :)

And, those blasts from Endor battles have even their own mid-flight sound effects (which is especially evident during the "flaming TIE" scene - we have ISD tower, flaming and spinning TIE comes into view and then this white streak appears with its own sound effect)

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:27 am

Kazeite wrote:I think that's Lucasarts fault - they made ion cannons blue in X-wing :)
LucasArts made ion cannons blue in pretty much everything. All three Rogue Squadron games come to mind...

Anyway, I'll need to rewatch those parts of RotJ and check it out myself.

Enterprise E
Bridge Officer

Post by Enterprise E » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:36 pm

They could be Proton Torpedoes or some other warhead type weapon. In the X-Wing series computer games, Proton Torpedoes were blue (even those used by the Rebel Alliance), while Concussion Missiles were red. Some EU books state that Proton Torpedoes were blue as well. Other games are less specific on the effect of a Proton Torpedo. The evidence against this is that X-Wing Proton Torpedoes are reddish orange in both ANH and in RoTJ. The other options are that they could be Concussion Missiles, they were blue, but trailed red fire when the Millenium Falcon used them to destroy the core of the DS2. You had to pause the movie to see that the missiles themselves appeared to be blue. Other EU (mainly the X-Wing series of games) options are that they were Heavy Rockets, which if I remember correctly, had a yellowish-orange trail, and Heavy Space Bombs, which had no energy sheath, but were very powerful.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:36 pm

Another interesting thing, this time in the secondary canon of the novelizations; I noticed that Matthew Stover, who tried to put all sorts of EU references into the "G-level" canon, did not place a single reference anywhere (that I can find) into the Battle of Courscant:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSW-RoTSlesser1.html

As to the funky looking "lightning" FX seen in TESB and RoTJ:

a.) The one and only clear-cut example of an ion cannon (and a damn big one at that) shows us only the lightning arc effect, and no damage to the ISD itself. At least none that is apparent.

b.) The other references fighter destruction scenes and what-have-you all have the "gasoline bomb" FX explosions accompanying them, suggesting that the arcs are part of the system failures of the spaceships themselves as much as anything from the energy bolts.

-Mike

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:15 am

So it's like the Trek exploding consuls only on a much larger scale?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:21 pm

Well, before TNG and TWoK, ANH did show us during the escape from the Death Star and the battle with the sentry TIEs the Falcon suffering a small explosion and fires.

We also have references in the ANH novelization and the RoTS script to the igniting of fuel inside starfighters and the Invisible Hand, causing them to explode with catastrophic results.
-Mike

Kazeite
Bridge Officer

Post by Kazeite » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:53 pm

Socar wrote:LucasArts made ion cannons blue in pretty much everything. All three Rogue Squadron games come to mind...
Well, yeah, but it started with the first game, now, didn't it? :)
Anyway, I'll need to rewatch those parts of RotJ and check it out myself.
1:50:36 (after Vader slices the bridge supports). Well, this blue thingy looks like... well... blue fireball :) But it's definitely not any sort of "laser" beam.

Incidentally, in the same scene we can see an X-wing making an attack run on ISD tower, making rather nice, slowly expanding explosion. Yet another nail to the coffin of "fighters can't damage capital ships" hypothesis :)