Just some general info about star wars ships

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:53 pm

Kazeite wrote:1:50:36 (after Vader slices the bridge supports). Well, this blue thingy looks like... well... blue fireball :) But it's definitely not any sort of "laser" beam.

Incidentally, in the same scene we can see an X-wing making an attack run on ISD tower, making rather nice, slowly expanding explosion. Yet another nail to the coffin of "fighters can't damage capital ships" hypothesis :)
I don't think anyone's even brought that up lately here. Should we have a fresh thread about Star Wars fighters vs Star Wars capital ships?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:32 am

I suppose you could turn it into another thread, though I personally don't think it necessary. We see in RoTS that Anakin's Jedi starfighter was able to destroy the Invisible Hand's docking bay shield generator, and there is no evidence that the IH had suffered massive bombardment in combat beforehand that would explain away the ease of it all. So what we have is this:

1.) RoTS: Anakin's starfighter takes out the docking bay shield generators on the IH with little to suggest the IH had suffered from any signifcant attack beforehand to weaken it's shields.

2.) RoTJ: Two signficant events: At least two X-wings are seen responsible for destroying an ISD's bridge tower deflector generator/sensor dome. Later, two A-wings accomplish a similar feat on one of the domes on the SSD bridge tower. A single A-wing rams the SSD bridge, which starts a massive series of internal explosions that utterly destroys the bridge tower, and sends the rest of the ship spinning out of control into the DS2.

3.) We have various references from the EU of starfighters en-masse damaging or destroying various SDs, or other captial ships.

So yes, the whole idea of "fighter cannot damage captial ships" is pure bunk. It does, however, open up a whole new can of worms since we know that fighter firepower is limited to low gigawatt range, not hundreds of GW to several terawatts claimed by Saxtonites and pro-Wars debators.
-Mike