Genesis = Cascading Replicator?

For polite and reasoned discussion of Star Wars and/or Star Trek.
AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Genesis = Cascading Replicator?

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:55 pm

I am watching Wrath of Khan and I get to the Genesis Project Proposal and the description of how Genesis works sounds a lot like how a replicator would work. The rearrangement of matter at a sub-atomic level to a new form. I'm saying that they are exactly the same thing, just that their operating principles are the same or at least very similar.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:03 pm

I have to say I really like this idea.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:10 pm

Chronologically it would be similar to atomic power, with the controlled use of the effect being developed for use in daily life after the weaponized or uncontrolled form.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:14 am

Given the distance we've seen transporter project to, it wouldn't be that far fetched for the device to be a partial combo of a transporter and replicator, where the device actually survives crash landing and begins the quick change of the surrounding environment. The genesis device could be an early version of advanced transporter tech and the schematics were used to help further advances, aince transporters/replicators are more advanced in later years. It could have even been a main thrust for developing replicators as they are in the present.